Downtown Library Plans

dan326

Which plan do you like the best?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. The Plans

• Renovation
    • Renovation & Expansion
    • New Facility

Phil still cracks me up. He is the individual who regularly shares is "interesting" opinion on the advocate. Once again, his points are mute.

Why should people who live in an urban environment be required to DRIVE a mile away to another library? The whole point is to have WALKABLE COMMUNITIES! Also, if the private market cant even provide residential development as it currently stands downtown, then how does he expect to sell this piece of public land land and get it developed by the private market? Silly man.

• 3 weeks later...

Your right buckett...I went to some meetings early in he process a few years back; not as easy to make now with two little ones. The past few years you anticipate new developments only to get .... No Alive! No Capitol Lofts, No Crescent Condo's at University Lake(finally after 15 years); No Convention Center Hotel; No Rouzan(know your not a fan); and now No Improved Library for downtownBR! It gets aggrevating all the opposition constantly bombarding these projects! This one dude John Berry who's strong opponet tries to play the tough-guy role with the library...this library improvement is needed...it's so substandard is the main reason the numbers are so low...but these staus quo idiots fail to recognize that!

Also...North Blvd Town Square will provide a synergy that's not there right now.

These were the poll results from Business Report as of late this afternoon...this could get interesting!

Poll Results

Should the Metro Council overturn the Library Board's vote to build a new branch downtown?

Thanks for your vote.

Yes 43% 395 votes

No 50% 456 votes

Don't know 1% 16 votes

Don't care 3% 35 votes

Total Votes: 902

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...

Sounds interesting...good for downtown :thumbsup:

Trahan: Downtown library will reflect technological changes

The revamped River Center library branch downtown will reflect technological changes in how information is being accessed and distributed, says the architect who is involved in planning the controversial project. Trey Trahan says while other libraries in the East Baton Rouge Parish system have "memorialized the book," the downtown branch will be a little different. Trahan says he has been working with consultants to think about the idea of libraries in a digital age, where reams of information are available at a keystroke. While the exact details of the project are being worked out, Trahan says some of the ideas could involve allowing patrons to check out iPads and laptops and use them in another part of the building. Another idea being discussed is wrapping a touch-sensitive skin around the building. Visitors would pull up information on the outside. "The nice thing is, this isn't just a branch for downtown, it's for the community at large," he says. Trahan's ideas have won over at least one person: Stan Bardwell, a library board member who had been opposed to building a new branch downtown, came out in favor of the measure. Bardwell says the technology justifies giving the branch more space.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/2010/oct/22/1906/

Edited by richyb83

Hmmm.... If Trahan's designing it, it probably won't get built.

Without knowing the details, just based on the preliminaries that I have seen....I am skeptical that Trahan's design could be done with the money allocated here. My experience with those high end, complex storefront designs are that they tend to be very costly and problematic to do correctly. It really comes down to how much of the current structure they can keep or how much they really need library staff-specific parking, etc.... I realize this is technically a rennovation, but it is a very extensive one.

The design is definately growing on me. I support the rennovation...but I'm afraid it will have to be watered down or redesigned.

Then again, this is the height of a horrible recession. There are many companies out there that will do this work at costs just to keep their employees busy.

• 1 month later...

Hahaha, so it didn't really "win" but it passed by a technicality. ^_^

"News Alert: Money for new downtown library stays in budget

A $19 million allocation for a new downtown library passed the Metro Council by one vote today. A 7-5 majority of council members voted against the new building, but fell one vote short of the 8 needed to delete the spending from the budget. Supporters had argued the new branch was needed to replace the River Center site, but groups opposed the project, saying that downtown didn't have enough patrons to support the facility."

businessreport.com

Got to see some of this on TV...

Some good news for a change! The attempt to stop this failed! The anti-downtown "all about my area" people were not winning this time...and ole back-woods mentality "Smokey" Bourgeous(District-12 councilman) did all of us a disservice trying to block it + saying how much more Downtown Libray co$t per square ft' vs Livingston's proposed new Main Library...when he's comparing EBR to Livingston we got problems!

It got heated there for a few minutes..Councilman Mike Walker & Mayor Kip Holden with procedure on being able to speak...then he gave an epic speech in favor of the downtown library...

Copy/Paste doesn't work on Advocate for me lately...here it is..

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/latest/111565239.html

Edited by richyb83

That warrants an "Oh no he did-int!"

Some good news for a change! The attempt to stop this failed! The anti-downtown "all about my area" people were not winning this time...and ole back-woods mentality "Smokey" Bourgeous(District-12 councilman) did all of us a disservice trying to block it + saying how much more Downtown Libray co$t per square ft' vs Livingston's proposed new Main Library...when he's comparing EBR to Livingston we got problems!

So is the new library with the crazy design going to be built? If so, I could see it sparking a mondern architecture movement in downtown BR, the librabry, LSU Museum (not sure of the correct name), and the Shaw Center are all recent developments that include many modern design aspects that could possibly branch over to other buildings. Who else would like to see that? I'm not sure where I am on that...

So is the new library with the crazy design going to be built? If so, I could see it sparking a mondern architecture movement in downtown BR, the librabry, LSU Museum (not sure of the correct name), and the Shaw Center are all recent developments that include many modern design aspects that could possibly branch over to other buildings. Who else would like to see that? I'm not sure where I am on that...

Even though Trahan Architects have publicly proposed a design, its not a guaranty his design will be built. Like any public project in EBR, the library board must request bids and designs from any qualified architecture firm. The design submittals are then reviewed by the EBR Architectural Selection Board, and they ultimately make the final decision based on Design, Cost, Fee, etc. However, Trahan has been doing a lot of politicking, and I am nearly certain his design will be chosen by the Selection board, with a recommendation for approval from the Library Board, Mayor, and Davis Rhoer (DDD).

I went to the AIA Christmas party this evening at the new courthouse. I spoke with some of the local architects and many of them are skeptical of Trahan's design and plan on submitting their own eye-catching and crazy proposals as well. So I am very excited to see what some of our local firms churn out!

On a side note, the new court house is, um, interesting. We did some snooping around and snuck through the judges chambers that are currently unoccupied. The building as a whole is just well, I wish Baton Rouge would aspire to building something different for once. Skipper Post has built the same building with the same materials all over downtown for the past 15 years, and frankly, Im tired of it.

The view from the top though is fantastic!

I went to the AIA Christmas party this evening at the new courthouse. I spoke with some of the local architects and many of them are skeptical of Trahan's design and plan on submitting their own eye-catching and crazy proposals as well. So I am very excited to see what some of our local firms churn out!

On a side note, the new court house is, um, interesting. We did some snooping around and snuck through the judges chambers that are currently unoccupied. The building as a whole is just well, I wish Baton Rouge would aspire to building something different for once. Skipper Post has built the same building with the same materials all over downtown for the past 15 years, and frankly, Im tired of it.

The view from the top though is fantastic!

Lol, I understand what you mean. But its good to have a consistent look. I think its kinda funny how the state built half our skyline, lol. But anyway I don't think that Trahan design will get built, I mean, have any of his fancy designs ever been built around here??

Lol, I understand what you mean. But its good to have a consistent look. I think its kinda funny how the state built half our skyline, lol. But anyway I don't think that Trahan design will get built, I mean, have any of his fancy designs ever been built around here??

I can understand consitency...But I wish the consitency was based on a good design....

Its possible it could be built and yes, he has several buildings in the Baton Rouge area that are better than anything else that has ever been built in this city. The LSU soft ball stadium, Cox Communications Center for Student Athelets, and two fantastic churches, among other designs.

Oh. ~closes mouth~ ^_^

Its possible it could be built and yes, he has several buildings in the Baton Rouge area that are better than anything else that has ever been built in this city. The LSU soft ball stadium, Cox Communications Center for Student Athelets, and two fantastic churches, among other designs.

Maybe what Dan meant to say was the Trahan projects for downtown ;)

...like

Riverfront Office Tower

riverfrontofficetowerde.png

then at the same location the unique mixed-use design with air-space over Lafayette Street

75535919.png

the old Advocate property...

advo1dq7.jpg

this building on North Blvd & Sixth Street was to be torn-down a few years ago that still stands

feb07004.jpg

And the dreaded eye-sore that is the Jumonville warehouse across from the Hilton Capitol; minus the blue tarp :rolleyes:

downtown077.jpg

• 5 months later...

So Trahan's firm (read design) was not selected to be the architect for the new downtown library. A coworker of mine was at the presentations. She said while the other firms spoke of working with the library board to design their building, focusing on the interior functions/programming, Trahan presented a completed design, take it or leave it. She believes this was a big factor in the decision.

So WHLC (local firm) partnered with Schwartz Silver (firm who partnered with Eskew for the Shaw Center design) won the selection.

What are y'all's thoughts?

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/Design-firm-selected-for-new-high-tech-downtown-library.html

I'm under the impression they would like the new library to resemble the Salt Lake City main library; it should compliment the contrasting styles of the Old State Capitol & Shaw Center for the Arts; of course not as big since so many insist the Main Library remain at Independence Park.

78268.jpg