Downtown Library Plans

dan326

Which plan do you like the best?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. The Plans

• Renovation
    • Renovation & Expansion
    • New Facility

Funny how we have $19 mil for a library but not enough for road/bridge repair. Right Kip?

The Library system is supported by a dedicated tax approved by voters, that is separate from general parish funds i.e. road repairs. When the voters approved the library tax it had been touted that a new main library would be built downtown. However when time came to build the new main library some voters objected to the downtown location. A compromise was struck that a new main library would be built in independence park and downtown would receive a "super regional" library bigger than many of the parish branches.

Thanks buckett :thumbsup:

The Library system have been good stewards with the funds over the years...this is no different IMO

A new Super Regional Library for Downtown should be a nice componet in the heart of the Cultural & Civic District...it will be a perfect compliment to the North Blvd Town Square too!

Some are satisfied with the staus quo...

The Carver Branch serves OSBR neighborhood ...It's much too small to be a Super Regional branch.

Thanks buckett :thumbsup:

The Library system have been good stewards with the funds over the years...this is no different IMO

A new Super Regional Library for Downtown should be a nice componet in the heart of the Cultural & Civic District...it will be a perfect compliment to the North Blvd Town Square too!

Some are satisfied with the staus quo...

The Carver Branch serves OSBR neighborhood ...It's much too small to be a Super Regional branch.

Some people aren't accepting those realities.

• Like 1

So why is it so important?

It's not. This isn't the 1940's. Library's are great for researching some stuff but they are becoming relics to the past. Want a book? Go to a bookstore or a online service. Want a DVD? Go to Redbox or use cable. Want a newspaper or magazine? Go online.

Sure library's are fine but they don't provide that essential service they once did and a nearly $20 million downtown library isn't going to bring in hordes of people.

There's no library like this in Baton Rouge, so tell me which libraries your talking about.

Why would the Parish Library system spend its own money to fix the streetlights and sidewalks?

You're right. Once this mega-library opens then people will flock to live downtown. Parents will gleefully drop their kids off downtown to study and business's will start moving in like a economic tsunami.

Library money = city money. It all comes from the same tax payer pocket.

You're right. Once this mega-library opens then people will flock to live downtown. Parents will gleefully drop their kids off downtown to study and business's will start moving in like a economic tsunami.

Library money = city money. It all comes from the same tax payer pocket.

Can't provide the libraries your talking about? Of course you can't, so you change the subject with this nonsense.

Library money is the money the library system saved for its purposes, not for the city's needs. :rofl:

• Like 1

You never asked. But I can save you and I the trouble. I don't know what would be in it, because no one knows what going to be in it.

So just so everyone is clear, when you were chiding me for supposedly not giving specifics, you were doing WHAT when you made these comments?

That's not all the library is going to provide. It will offer many more services and act as a catalyst.

There's no library like this in Baton Rouge, so tell me which libraries your talking about.

And you then say YOU dont have any specifics to back up your claim???

Some might call you a hypocrite, but not me. You were trolling and you were solely looking for a fight. That sort of nonsense isn't called for here.

Were not fighting. We are arguing. Nothing wrong with arguments as long as they remain civil. It will offer many more services, as the planners or supporters have stated. I'm simply repeating what they said.

A regional library isn't called that just because its new and shiny.

Edited by Antrell Williams
  • Like 1

I think construction is beginning on the Fairwood library at Flannery and Old Hammond.

I have to admit the downtown library will probably just be a pretty corner ornament as much or more than being used as a library, but I still think it will pay off in non-obvious ways.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This was in the morning's Advocate; "Opinion" section...and interesting comments that follow...

http://theadvocate.com/news/opinion/788270-63/letter-function-of-a-downtown.html

Best comment:

Have you been to the BR downtown library? It is a fine building that is little used. If people in that area wished to use a library they would use the existing one. A main problem it has is limited parking. So why build a new one at that location? Certainly not for readers. It would be a strictly political move, which in Louisiana means "Let's do it now while we are in charge and can steer some of the money into the hands of our friends and into our pockets, and we can also get our names on that brass plaque by the front door."