Which plan do you like the best?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. The Plans

• Renovation
    • Renovation & Expansion
    • New Facility

• 3 weeks later...

Council could call for alternate downtown library plan

The Baton Rouge Metro Council will consider Wednesday a resolution urging the Library Board of Control to rethink its plans for a new downtown facility. The resolution asks the board to halt plans to construct a new library and requests alternate plans for renovations of the existing structure. Council members Ulysses "Bones" Addison, R.J. "Smokie" Bourgeois, Donna Collins-Lewis, Chandler Loupe and Mike Walker are cosponsoring the resolution. The proposed library has drawn opposition for its estimated $21 million price tag. The council OK'd $19 million for the project in its current budget. District 12 Councilman Bourgeois says he supports the measure, not just because it would save money, but because he thinks the existing library is more than salvageable. "We all know it's not going to be $19 million," Bourgeois says. "What I'd like to see them do is repurpose the building … whitewash the exterior, add some caulking, fix the drapes. … They can make it look spiffy." Even if the planned downtown library is scrapped, the $19 million will remain dedicated to the library system. Refraining from commenting on the situation today, Baton Rouge Mayor Kip Holden says he'll respond "in due time." Also at Wednesday's meeting, the council will again consider bids for the proposed $900,000 Galvez Plaza stage canopy, another project the council previously OK'd but which has since come under the scrutiny of several members. A proposed agreement with EATEL allowing the company to provide broadband network coverage in the parish will also be taken up, having been deferred at the Sept. 14 meeting. The Metro Council is scheduled to meet at 4 p.m. Wednesday on the third floor of the Governmental Building, 222 St. Louis St.

Businessreport.com

Edited by steve3n8

I know, right.....like i said before, this Metro Council is trying to keep Baton Rouge from reaching its full potential to become the best city in La. If only they could have vision for the area they live in :dontknow:

I feel the exact same way. They still see us as a small town. I never take my "vision" glasses off.

• Like 1

Well whatdaya say there good ole boy Smokey.....A Fresh coat of paints & some nice drapes should be splendid for the Library...upgrade the 70's style with some 80's flash! Soounds good to me....and why is that silly Shaw Arts building there for?? It don't match none of the other bland boring stuff....and while we are it...just scrap the North Blvd Town Square idea with a fancy parking garage thats such a problem in the area...I think I'll bring these great ideas to Livingston while I'm at it...after all their Main Library was waay cheeper to build!

Yep...the saga continues...BR can only handle so much good fortune before it regurgitates it back...this overgrown country town that does not allow 6-story condo's because of the density! What a joke....

• Like 1

I know, right.....like i said before, this Metro Council is trying to keep Baton Rouge from reaching its full potential to become the best city in La. If only they could have vision for the area they live in :dontknow:

Yeah. Baton Rouge is being held back because the city council doesnt approve a over-priced library located in a part of Baton Rouge that is a ghost town during the day on weekends.

lol

Edited by itsjustme2

Hopefully they can atleast get the plaza canopy done while they're distracted with this.

Well what makes no sense to me, is that the stage and foundation have already been built. All the stage is waiting for is the canopy to be built and then secured in place with the appropriate lighting and sound systems. The issue is, is that the stage and foundation systems were designed for one type of canopy. To go back and try and retrofit a different canopy to fit the current foundation, after the foundation has been finished is going to end up costing more money, or is going to end up looking ridiculous, cheap, and as an after thought. Let's stay the course and keep the project on track as it was already approved by the metro council.

Another criticism is that the new stage does not meet the needs of a performance venue. Well, sure it does. The lights and sound system shouldn't be kept outside 365 days a year. So when a performance will be held, a platform will be hoisted up under the canopy, providing shade and as a structure to hold the equipment. Lets be honest, to build a permanent stage would look ridiculous. This is an active part of downtown and a "sculpture" better suits the needs of downtown than a typical permanent stage. The stage is only used a handful of times a year while a sculpture fulfills more of a demand on days that do not have a crowd. It's an ingenious solution.

The old cronies on the metro council have got to go....

• Like 1

BRAC backs downtown library and Galvez Plaza stage canopy

The Baton Rouge Area Chamber is urging the Metro Council to move forward with both the new $21 million downtown library and a $900,000 stage canopy for Galvez Plaza downtown. The council is set to take both items up at its meeting Wednesday. In a statement released this afternoon, BRAC President/CEO Adam Knapp says the council &quot;will be putting two significant projects in jeopardy by limiting or eliminating their scope, both of which they have previously approved.&quot; One item on the agenda, co-sponsored by five council members, is to request that the library board scrap the downtown library plan and present options for renovating the existing library. The council will also have the option of approving the low bid on the stage canopy, a move it previously deferred. &quot;<u>The replacement of the downtown library and the constructing of the town square canopy are two projects that will have a positive, long-term impact on the competitiveness of the Baton Rouge area in terms of jobs, capital investment, and talent retention and attraction, because it will show citizens and visitors alike that we are a progressive, innovative region prepared to be successful in a twenty-first century economy,</u>&quot; Knapp's statement reads. Click http://media.businessreport.com/media/ads/BRACInsightDowntownLibraryStageCanopy.pdf" to read Knapp's full statement.</p>

<p>http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

Finally beat you Steve!

Edited by Antrell Williams
  • Like 1

First of all I wasn't being negative. I was the one responding to the negative attack on the city council. Second, if you don't like my comments then you should use the ignore feature.

Well answer this question.......Do you want to see Baton Rouge grow into a vibrant/great city, or be like the blind MC and not see the potential for the city?

It just seems like everything good proposed for Baton Rouge, u have a problem with....therefore like i said if u have a problem with BR, then why not just leave?

Well answer this question.......Do you want to see Baton Rouge grow into a vibrant/great city, or be like the blind MC and not see the potential for the city?

It just seems like everything good proposed for Baton Rouge, u have a problem with....therefore like i said if u have a problem with BR, then why not just leave?

Oh, so now you want to have a civil discussion?

What's the point? You refer to the city council as "blind". If YOU don't like it then why don't YOU leave?

Oh, so now you want to have a civil discussion? What's the point? You refer to the city council as "blind". If YOU don't like it then why don't YOU leave?

I do like Baton Rouge, and i want to see it grow and become the best city it can be, I have no reason to want to leave such a great city, u on the other hand have a problem with BR and want to avoid my question......

• Like 1

I do like Baton Rouge, and i want to see it grow and become the best city it can be, I have no reason to want to leave such a great city, u on the other hand have a problem with BR and want to avoid my question......

Then maybe you should run for city council instead of saving all your brilliant suggestions for this website. See, it's always easy to post anonymous messages on a website and to call the city council members dumb and ignorant. But atleast they ran for the positions Nd do the work. Don't like it? Then you should run.

Then maybe you should run for city council instead of saving all your brilliant suggestions for this website. See, it's always easy to post anonymous messages on a website and to call the city council members dumb and ignorant. But atleast they ran for the positions Nd do the work. Don't like it? Then you should run.

haha, good comeback, still didn't answer my question, but that's ok. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I hope itsjustme2 doesn't take his own advice. However I wouldn't be surprised if he was already on the metro council. Judging by his opinions maybe the man behind the screen name is actually ole' Smokey? Although I doubt Smokey can barely work a type writer.

• Like 1