Downtown Library Plans

dan326

Which plan do you like the best?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. The Plans

• Renovation
    • Renovation & Expansion
    • New Facility

Anything that actually looks and functions well together will be better than the current building. Wonder if will reflect the stage covering in front of it. The WHLC hasn't done many local impressive buildings but hopefully this one will be, can't see Schwartz Silver designs. It should definitely be a large anchor for downtown though.

I am disappointed that Trahan wasn't selected, but I understand the reasoning behind the decision, and slightly agree with the Arch Selection Board. However, Shwartz and Silver Architects has completed many successful and wonderful buildings across the country (including the Shaw Center) so I am confident they will design a wonderful building to compliment the downtown civic core and North Blvd Town Square.

• 2 months later...

Then you have other people tripping like activist John Berry saying "the people have spoken and they are against a new library"...huh?? I think it's split close to 50/50...he sthinks the library could be renovated...maybe so. There are some serious anti downtown folks.

I could be renovated. Although with the Shaw Center, new businesses along 3rd and North Blvd, the Towne Square, and the new courthouse, a new library could be the hub of activity. However, not just any library will work. It needs to be a gathering center, an information center, and I believe it should provide services for all BR colleges and grade schools. Similar, but more extensive than the Barnes and Nobles in Perkins Rowe. I have never spent money there, but I have been there, met people there, and it is constantly busy.

• Like 1

It's not only Kip, some people want a new library there as well. I don't know why we would need two brand new libraries downtown, but that old library is simply out dated if that specific area of downtown wants to see investment and draw crowds. They have been pursuing the possibility of a new, or a renovated library after the one on 4th was completed.

Wasn't the 19 million secured for the new library? I cannot recall.

• Like 1

It's not only Kip, some people want a new library there as well. I don't know why we would need two brand new libraries downtown, but that old library is simply out dated if that specific area of downtown wants to see investment and draw crowds. They have been pursuing the possibility of a new, or a renovated library after the one on 4th was completed.

Wasn't the 19 million secured for the new library? I cannot recall.

Old library? But it's not old.

And why build it downtown? People want a walkable community but there aren't enough people who live near the library. ATLEAST not the types of people who would use it for studying or research.

Old library? But it's not old.

And why build it downtown? People want a walkable community but there aren't enough people who live near the library. ATLEAST not the types of people who would use it for studying or research.

I actually don't know the age of that branch.. does anyone know when it was completed?There are more people who live within a couple miles of the downtown branch versus the Goodwood branch, it is a much denser area. Also, I learned the branch on 4th street only allows science students and state employees to check out items. I thought there was something about the certain branch I was missing. I could easily see this branch being heavily used by LSU students who choose to live downtown, once more residential options open up. Both downtown branches see quite a decent amount of patronization.

The Carver Branch Library at Terrace Ave and Napoleon St is not downtown.  While it is close to downtown, this does not serve downtown patrons.  The library is intended for and mainly serves Old South Baton Rouge.

IMO there's no need for 2 library's downtown (no matter what part of town you call it). No one lives downtown and building a new library won't bring in more housing.

I don't where you have been the past couple of years but: II City Plaza, The Shaw Center, the new southern entrance to the Shaw Center, the River Center expansion, state government consolidation, Towne Square, a new court house, new businesses on 3rd, Hotel Indigo, Kress (nearly at 100% occupancy), Hilton Capital House, LA State Museum on 4th, and two-waying of St. Louis and St. Fernidad. It's a no brainer investment brings investment. But you go ahead.

• Like 3

I don't where you have been the past couple of years but: II City Plaza, The Shaw Center, the new southern entrance to the Shaw Center, the River Center expansion, state government consolidation, Towne Square, a new court house, new businesses on 3rd, Hotel Indigo, Kress (nearly at 100% occupancy), Hilton Capital House, LA State Museum on 4th, and two-waying of St. Louis and St. Fernidad. It's a no brainer investment brings investment. But you go ahead.

I'm laughing really hard right now because you're actually comparing a library to the Shaw Center, Govt buildings, etc.

Construction fund is 'library's money'

The $19 million allocated for downtown library construction will remain with the East Baton Rouge Parish Library System even if plans for the controversial project fall through or if the project comes in under budget. Assistant Director Mary Stein says the money is in a fund balance, which is set apart from the general budget. "The fund balance is the library's money. The money includes construction but also projects not planned from the regular budget," she says. Stein says the library system plans its regular budget in March. "The budget pays for maintenance but not for catastrophic costs," she says. The fund balance is "basically our savings," she says. "In general terms, we're saving for a rainy-day emergency or opportunity, or construction."

The $19 million fund, Stein says, prevents the library from having to issue bonds, which the system's 10-year business cycle renders impractical. "Most governments don't pay as you go, and most libraries certainly don't. That's pretty special," she says.

Businessreport.com