Neo involved in a serious car accident

dubone

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all of the support! I feel very fortunate to come away with only a fractured arm and a few cuts and bruises. I'm sure some of you are curious so here is a link to some photos my wife took of the car. I'm pretty sure that I will be an Acura customer for life after this. :)

Photos

I still feel like I got hit by a train and computer use is a little difficult using only my left hand (I'm right handed too), but grass is most definitely greener now. Certainly changes your outlook on the world around you. Thanks again for all of the good thoughts!

• 5 weeks later...

I just wanted to give a quick update for everyone. I had to have a second surgery to replace the first steel plate and install a second steel plate...the new plates are much thicker and wider than the first. I'm doing much better and can do simple tasks with my right hand/arm such as typing, but will be a few months before I'm able to really lift any weight.

For those interested, here is the latest x-ray of my arm:

3953834770_0dd86568e1.jpg

I'm a little excited to go through a metal detector now! :)

Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers, I really appreciate them!

Wow man....will those plates be there for life or for a set period of time?

They will be there for life. I also have a really cool scar on my arm that is about 5.5" long. Certainly gives me something to start a conversation with! :P

I find the plates very interesting. Supposedly my arm with the plates is as strong as my arm was before, even though my arm is still fractured (has not fused back together yet). The issue now is more of getting the muscles in my arm back to a normal state and regaining the movement of my elbow.

Here are what the plates look like when not under x-ray:

9633_136710980266_540155266_2727609_92942_n.jpg

That's impressive. You're part way to becoming Wolverine, which is pretty badass.

So what will happen when you have to go through a metal detector, anyway? Do you have a doctor's note?

Hah! I'm not sure I'm anywhere close to Wolverine. Doctor's orders are to pick up nothing heavier than a fork right now. :P

Supposedly cards were given out at one time for folks with permanent metal implants, but from what I've heard they're not given out anymore. I'll just have to grin and bear it every time I go through a metal detector. Should be cool the first couple of times...but I'm sure it will get annoying after a while.

Well, you can also get hit in a bus, for example, by a garbage truck. And it could kill your best friends girl friend and threaten your friendship with him because you don't remember why you were with his girlfriend on the bus. Eventually you might end up in a mental hospital because of hallucinations stemming from drug use after the accident.

Archived