Satellite Radio

JRNYP2C

Just out of curiosity. I'm trying to see how many of you all have Satellite Radio (Sirius or XM) and listen to it pretty much exclusive of terrestrial radio.

I have Sirius and have been experiencing some major reception issues around uptown, to the west in the Gashouse and to the south around Ballantyne.

After several e-mails and two phone calls, I have been assured that the problem that existed was fixed. However, my reception (or lack thereof) would beg to differ.

My co-workers who have XM have not experienced these problems - totally different satellites from what has been explained to me.

So, I'm just looking to see if it is just me or is this being experienced by other Sirius subscribers.

Thanks for the input on this!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just out of curiosity. I'm trying to see how many of you all have Satellite Radio (Sirius or XM) and listen to it pretty much exclusive of terrestrial radio.

I have Sirius and have been experiencing some major reception issues around uptown, to the west in the Gashouse and to the south around Ballantyne.

After several e-mails and two phone calls, I have been assured that the problem that existed was fixed. However, my reception (or lack thereof) would beg to differ.

My co-workers who have XM have not experienced these problems - totally different satellites from what has been explained to me.

So, I'm just looking to see if it is just me or is this being experienced by other Sirius subscribers.

Thanks for the input on this!

XM, Ballantyne, no problems. Is your radio built-in? I ask because previously, I had a non-built-in XM radio, with the long wire up to the antenna on the roof of my truck, and I had major reception problems with that. But it was definitely the radio or antenna, because once I switched to a built-in, no problems.

Any other XM people pissed off that we don't get NFL and NASCAR for free now XM and Sirius are "one company"? I'm not sure that's what the FCC had in mind when they were being so cautious to approve the merger.

• 2 weeks later...
XM, Ballantyne, no problems. Is your radio built-in? I ask because previously, I had a non-built-in XM radio, with the long wire up to the antenna on the roof of my truck, and I had major reception problems with that. But it was definitely the radio or antenna, because once I switched to a built-in, no problems.

Any other XM people pissed off that we don't get NFL and NASCAR for free now XM and Sirius are "one company"? I'm not sure that's what the FCC had in mind when they were being so cautious to approve the merger.

Though I never proved it, I'm pretty sure my antenna/radio was the problem -- EVEN THOUGH I got great reception in some parts of town and horrible reception in Ballantyne. I realize that logic dictates that if the antenna/radio is the problem, the problem would exist everywhere. But I'm just thinking the variance in signal strength (or repeater vs direct satellite) caused the problem to manifest itself only in certain areas.

The evidence in this direction was the fact that my wife had built-in XM in her car, and I could drive it in the exact same areas and have no problems at all.

Archived