Virginia Tech Development

ronsmytheiii

Too many projects happening on campus not to make a thread.

First of all is the Ambler Johnston Renovation:

ajconnectorheader_001.jpg

Residence rooms will be updated with new lighting, finishes, carpeting, paint, ceilings, vanities, and furnishings. Bathrooms will be renovated, reconfigured and personalized. Elevators will be replaced. Suites and community/gathering spaces will be added. Curtain wall openings will be cut at the stairwells to bring in natural daylight and building entrances will be expanded. Central heating and cooling, electrical, and plumbing systems will be completely replaced. Air conditioning will be available in every room with individual temperature controls. Handicap accessibility will be provided throughout the facility.

The renovated facility will include a total of 1,176 beds in double-occupancy room arrangements. Approximately 162 of those beds will be in suite-style living. Amenity spaces include a fitness center, game room, teaching labs, meeting rooms, lounges, community kitchen, media theater, library, technology center, and day spa. Administrative/support spaces will include offices, storage areas, mail facility, laundry rooms, apartments for professional staff, maintenance shop, and a housekeeping center.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Black Box add on to henderson Hall:

blackbox.jpg

Big version here:

http://www.evp.vt.edu/images/black_box_theater.jpg

This project is to renovate Henderson Hall and includes an 8,479 SF Black Box Theatre. The project also includes interior and partial exterior renovation of 26,930 SF Henderson Hall West wing, with minor improvements to the East wing (12,496 SF). The project will provide academic space for the visual and performing arts programs.

Status

Notice to Proceed issued. Construction underway. Estimated completion Fall, 2009.

New parking garage, if I would have to guess I would think that this garage is a precursor to freeing up the existing surface lot area for more development:

parking_structure_site.jpg

garage.JPG

Plans for a 1,200 vehicle parking space structure began in late 2007. The parking structure is intended to be aesthetically interesting, functionally efficient, and extremely safe. It is envisioned to be somewhat open allowing light and air flow. Exterior materials will likely include locally quarried "Hokie stone," architectural precast concrete, glass at stairs and elevators, and appropriate landscaping.

NRH1web_001.jpg

This new facility will be located on West Campus Drive between the Smith Career Center and Harper Hall. There will be four floors, the first dedicated to Student Programs administrative office space and the top three for residential apartments. The basement will house a resident advisor

And lastly for now ICATS II, which I have seen site work done allready, I might go around campus and grab pictures of all these projects if anyone wants

http://www.vsbn.org/docs/20071026_016_Va_Tech.pdf

• 42,000 square feet in Life Sciences Corridor of the VT campus

• $35,000,000 total budget, $23,000,000 construction budget

• Skanska selected to be Construction Manager at Risk

• Construction began in April 2009.

• Projected occupancy is January 20011.

• Targeted technology areas include Nanobiotechnology, Nanosensors, Bioengineering and Biomaterials, and Water

Great thread idea, had been wanting to start one when I was there, especially one for the town of Blacksburg. I graduated in May, but have come back multiple times since my lease ran out in late June and I am still strongly attached to the town I lived in for the last four years. Wish I had found a job there and stayed local for a bit longer, as I wasn't ready to leave so soon.

I'm particularly interested in Blacksburg's master plan for downtown, more pedestrian friendly plans, such as roundabouts at Prices Fork & Main and also at VPI Mall & Main. Check out the drafts on the town's website, I haven't checked back for anything new in months, but I will be a regular at this thread. Living in Blacksburg was such an inspiration for city/town planning and I really admire the fact that you do not need to drive in that town, EVER. I had a car, but I biked to class from Foxridge and biked everywhere else I needed to go. Coupled with the bicycling and walking benefits of a small university town, the BT bus system is also there to cover more ground, especially on downtown crusades! I'm aware of all the projects you have listed, espcially the new ICTAS, because it's near where I frequently drop off cardboard/paper for recycling. Definitely keep us up to date with all the happenings in Blacksburg and on campus, pictures appreciated definitely! I'll add you on Flickr when I get home from this government computer, haha.

A previous civil engineering instructor I had moved from teaching to working for the campus' construction planning and could be a great contact. Her name is Vickie Mouras. Also, this is a great website to reference: http://www.facilities.vt.edu/pdc/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Holy cow! Last few posts are great and are easily tempting me to wanna move back to Blacksburg and get involved in all those projects! Keep 'em coming!

Sidenote: 80% positive I will be in town this weekend - it's been a few months. grin.png

I was surprised to see the parking deck in the stage it was in! Didn't get to see much else of campus construction though.

During my daily readings this morning, I stumbled on this article that mentions Blacksburg among other smaller metros in the country:

http://www.reedconst...ction-expected/

Smaller metro areas expected to see strong pickups in nonresidential construction activity in 2010 include Fresno, Syracuse, Daytona Beach, Topeka, Battle Creek, Blacksburg, VA, and Rochester, MN.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived