Nashville Neighborhoods Map

RON-E

Hey! I have put together a rough draft map of Nashville Neighborhoods... only Metro Nashville Davidson County neighborhoods will be included....

check it out, recommend some changes or additions to help create a neighborhood map for Nashville!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...c5b0bf&z=13

There are multiple pages for the districts... so make sure you click on the pages on the left side of the screen to see more areas

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May I critique? I think you have Midtown stretching to far down West End. I would stop "Midtown" at the Elliston/W.End/25th intersection. Anything after that I have always considered "West End".

I'm not familiar with every neighborhood on the map, but i've never heard of "south downtown". Honestly, it sounds a little silly to me. Is that what we are calling it these days?

I love the map!!! Thanks for doing it. Just giving my .02

May I critique? I think you have Midtown stretching to far down West End. I would stop "Midtown" at the Elliston/W.End/25th intersection. Anything after that I have always considered "West End".

I'm not familiar with every neighborhood on the map, but i've never heard of "south downtown". Honestly, it sounds a little silly to me. Is that what we are calling it these days?

I love the map!!! Thanks for doing it. Just giving my .02

i have updated several boundaries, and am trying to make it look a little better by choosing a few different colors than before and outlining them in white for easier boundary distinguishability... if thats even a word... lol

The word "neighborhood", at least in Nashville, seems to have two different meanings. There are rather large swaths of the city such as Bordeaux, East Nashville, South Nashville, North Nashville, Antioch, Donelson, Inglewood, Hermitage and Bellevue that are sometimes described as neighborhoods. But each of these neighborhoods is composed of other neighborhoods in the smaller sense of the word. The map shows 10 of these minineighborhoods in the 37206 zip code (including one named "East Nashville"--a placeholder maybe?), but if you polled the residents of the minineighborhoods in 37206, I think the vast majority feel and would tell you they lived in East Nashvile.

These two kinds of neighborhood mix a little uncomfortably on these maps. Tiny Northern Inglewood, consisting of about five blocks, sits adjacent to the huge Inglewood neighborhood. The huge Northeast Nashville neighborhood (Talbots area?) sits adjacent to the miniature Cahal Street Group.

In other cases these larger neighborhoods seem strangely truncated. Exit Briley Parkway onto eastbound Lebanon Pike and you feel like you're driving through the heart of Donelson, but on this map it's the northern boundary of a shrunken Donelson. The northern boundary of Hermitage also mostly follows Lebanon Pike, resulting in the Hermitage post office not being in the Hermitage neighborhood. The same applies to Inglewood, where the map follows the rather artificial boundaries of the Inglewood Neighborhood Association, making the main the commercial corridor of Inglewood its western boundary and leaving the Inglewood post office outside the neighborhood.

The official neighborhood map of Nashville (really a map of neighborhood assocaitions, it's normally at ftp://ftp.nashville.org/web/mpc/neighborhoodsmap1102.pdf, but I'm getting an error trying to access it today) implicitly recognizes these two senses of "neighborhood" by tinting areas represented by "large neighborhood groups" (Bellevue, East Nashville, Donelson-Hermitage and Inglewood, for example), and outlining the areas covered by the much smaller 'neighborhood groups" on the same map.

For the sake of clarity if nothing else it would be great if someone defined the boundaries of these larger neighborhoods. In some cases it's just a matter of setting boundaries. Where the heck does Antioch begin and end? How about South Nashville or West Nashville? In other cases it might mean coining a name or extending an existing name to a larger area to achieve the right scale. What's the name of the large area between Oak Hill and Antioch? Crieve Hall? Brentwood North? Is the whole area between Belle Meade, Forest Hills, Oak Hill and I-440 called Green Hills?

Some older, more urban cities have more-or-less accepted boundaries for neighborhoods--Chicago for example:

http://www.bigstickinc.com/chicago2_map_large.html

I think downtown has a two-level neighborhood as well.. my understanding is that downtown is technically bordered by i-65, i-40, i-24, and Jefferson st.

sub-neighborhoods within the downtown neighborhood are:

The District - some of what you have labeled as "downtown"

The Gulch

East Bank - what you have, but only up to Spring St and i-24

North Capitol aka Market District - the area you have labeled as Germantown but south of Jefferson and down to James Robertson

Rutledge Hill and Lafayette - somewhere in the area labeled as "Academy Square", but im not sure what the borders are

I think the Gulch is further divided into north and south Gulch by some.. but I think the part labeled "downtown" from Broadway up to Charlotte and west of 8th is generally also the Gulch.

Please, anyone, correct me if any of this is inaccurate!

Archived