Possible new BB&T headquarters?

B L U E

BB&T

BB&T is back among the nation's top-10 banks and it's an opportunity for expansion of operations and work force in

Winston-Salem. Even though it's been a little over two weeks since BB&T announced they had bought Colonial Banc group I feel that this could possibly mean a new skyscraper downtown. According to Daryl Bible "It's too soon to know what kind of local employment impact the takeover will have. About 1,500 BB&T employees work downtown in the 21 story BB&T financial headquarters. I'm very optimist with new jobs possibly created the need for a skyscraper twice the size of the current headquarters foreseeable in a year or two after the economy gets better. Do you feel like a new skyscraper is needed? Also what other developments do you feel may come out of this? More retail, Mid-rise office towers, art theaters/entertainment, and or condos. Winston needs more corporations like BB&T step forward and create good paying jobs downtown. I'm ready to see cranes back in downtown Winston-Salem like in other cities such as Charlotte.

I would love to see Liberty Plaza/ The Forsyth County Sheriff's Department completely razed. Even though Liberty Plaza is 38 years old it needs to go. I think this would be a perfect site for a new BB&T headquarters.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be nice to see, if this integration goes forward smoothly it is possible that BB&T would do other FDIC brokered deals. As they grow, so will their needs for adequate space. I feel they've outgrown their current residence. However, we have a lot of vacant space in town, and there could be the possibility of Wachovia/Wells vacating their tower. I could almost see the two switching places as BB&T becomes a larger presence here and Wachovia wanes.

If they decide to centralize along with adding hundreds of jobs in downtown, then yes I think they will build something. There were rumors of them wanting to build a 50+ story tower in downtown. If that rumor was true, then maybe this will revive that idea.

I want Liberty Plaza to get the Centre Pointe treatment with a new crown. Its too large to demolish. The old courthouse I think is up for renovation along with an expansion. BB&T has plenty to choose from in the financial district or even Civic Plaza. The 911 center, the two lots opposite the Sawtooth Center, the 2nd street post office, the 2 story parking deck at 3rd and Main...the list goes on.

I don't see BB&T building a new tower any time soon. There's so much office space unrented down here (class A, even) that it wouldn't make sense to spend the money. Especially given the difficulty of financing right now it's not the right time. Also, the Colonial acquisition doesn't affect Winston-Salem operations too much, it just adds branches in Alabama and Florida. Good news for the company and W-S to be sure, but I seriously doubt any new construction will happen soon as a result.

• 2 weeks later...
It would be nice to see, if this integration goes forward smoothly it is possible that BB&T would do other FDIC brokered deals. As they grow, so will their needs for adequate space. I feel they've outgrown their current residence. However, we have a lot of vacant space in town, and there could be the possibility of Wachovia/Wells vacating their tower. I could almost see the two switching places as BB&T becomes a larger presence here and Wachovia wanes.

Archived