Intimidator Roller Coaster at Carowinds

swampfox43

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as something of a rollercoaster buff, i can say without a doubt this is the best and honestly scariest ride i've been on.

the complete openness of the trains and MINIMAL restraints are what make it so effective. apollo's chariot at busch gardens williamsburg is similar in this respect but this one is just more, well, intimidating somehow :D

having a world-class ride like this is making certain other parts of Carowinds looks painfully out-of-shape by comparison, but i'm impressed at how many decent rides they've been able to cram in to a relatively small park in recent years.

As had already been said here it is an unbelievable ride -- it feels like it takes 2 minutes to top the first hill (great view of the city to the left while you are up there). Before you can recover from the drama of the first drop you fall down three more drops which are at least as shocking as the best parts of every other coaster in the park.

We got in line at 1:45 today and were at the exit at 2:10 (the line bypased the first section of que).

• 4 weeks later...

w00t.png

I played hookie from work today and went down to Carowinds. The Intimidator was awesome. I ended up getting a season pass on the way out so I can go back with visiting friends later this season. We actually bookended the day with rides on Intimidator (we concluded that back was best, but front is definitely worth a go for comparison). That had the interesting effect of underlining how so-so some of the other coasters are (Vortex and Nighthawk/Borg, I'm looking at you). This was also the first time I've been there when Thunderroad was open, so I finally got to enjoy that one. I do like the wood coasters.

Also worth echoing some of the earlier observations in the thread - the upgraded Snoopy area is really nice. It bodes well for the rest of the park, I sure wouldn't miss some of those expanses of asphalt if they replaced them with brick pavers.

Archived