Intimidator Roller Coaster at Carowinds

swampfox43

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would call 336-RIDE to make sure that connection is still running to the park on Weekends. One page on the website says the service ended August 14, another page says it ends on the 30th. I don't know if that means just weekday service to the park or not.

You're right, though. Getting dropped off right by the park entrance is way better than dealing with/paying for the parking lot. (word of caution to any first-timers, though - don't get off at the employee entrance)

I disagree. I wouldn't say the Kings Dominion one will be better just because it's first drop is taller and faster than Carowinds. It's all subjective and until they open, you can't really make an opinion based on a virtual animation. However, I can assure you, having been on this style of coaster (same manufacturer) before at other parks, that this ride will be awesome. Besides, Carowinds got the original Intimidator name without any numbers and Kings Dominion got Intimidator 305. I think that and the $23 million price tag (Kings Dominion's was only $2 million more) says a lot... we did not get the shaft on this one at all.

It was announced today that Hendrick Construction, Inc. of Charlotte has landed the contract to construct this massive coaster. Full story here.

Also, for those interested in a live construction webcam, click here I noticed today they have already got track in place around the loading station. I wouldn't be surprised if they are testing this ride by Feb.

• 1 month later...

Just 2 months ago Carowinds announced the 232' Intimidator coaster would be opening in March 2010.

If you've driven south on I-77 lately, just past the I-485 interchange, you can see this ominous structure taking shape rather quickly.

But here's a perspective you don't see every day, taken from the top floor parking deck of CMC Pineville, a good 5 miles away. Are you ready to ride this in 2010? :shok:

4039891205_8ae83067a4_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Intimidator was topped out on Oct. 13th and here is what has been done in the 1 month following the topping. The rain and wind brought construction to a dead halt the last 3 days and one of the footers on the turnaround (left side of photo) needed additional concrete work. If the weather holds out, the track work could be finished by Thanksgiving or shortly thereafter.

photo taken 11-13-2009.

4101557842_43df8dd23c_b.jpg

11-14-09

4104267170_bc6bdd6e41_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I drove to South Charlotte today to go to a Bed Bath & Beyond (unfortunately that's the closest one to center city...since Target/Best Buy/Marshalls/Trader Joe's/Staples opened in Midtown, I don't think I've been down that way once!). I could not believe the impact on Carowinds "skyline" that this coaster has. The other ones are just hardly poking above the trees, but the Intimidator is soaring above them. This thing is absolutely huge. Can't wait to ride!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Two weeks till opening day. Employees have ridden it but they are still waiting on SC inspectors to sign off so no test ride for me today.

My apologies that I can't do justice to the enormity of the Intimidator with my camera.

Note workers installing pavers (they said they had a five year plan to replace all asphalt in the park with pavers)

DSCN1609.jpg

Portajohn in forground (and airbus in background) provides some scale but it is wayyy bigger in person

DSCN1558.jpg

First drop in background, helix _just_ before station in foreground.

DSCN1579.jpg

Test seat -- no shoulder restraints! Note the previously mentioned pavers.

DSCN1594.jpg

Archived