Events Kiosk

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parade of Downtown Living starts on Friday and goes through Sunday.

Friday: 4 - 8

Saturday: 10 - 5

Sunday: 11 - 3

If anyone is interested, Tall House (Stop #9) is hosting a little cocktail party from 4 - 8 on Friday...

Can tickets be purchased at any of the stops?

Hey everybody- last chance to sign up for our first event for the Avenue for the Arts Market. We still have vendor spaces available- any kind of art/craft/creative endeavor is welcome. We also have one-hour slots available for low-key performers, of any kind. For example, we have a story teller, an acoustic guitar player etc... basically anything that won't compete with the art vendors.

The first event will be this Saturday, June 10th from 5-9pm, on Division between Cherry and Weston. The other events will always be on the second Saturday of each month (July 8th, August 12th and September 9th), same time and place. For more information check out our website at www.aveartsmarket.com, or call Jenn Schaub at 855.0435.

Hope to see you at the Market!

countrysonata.jpg

Contra dancing on the patio, 7-8 pm.

Just got all the details on this...a fund-raiser for St Cecilia. Held at Franciscan Life Process Center in Lowell. 4-8 pm. $25/person, $50/family, includes tons of performances, food, and this year they've added a dance pavillion. Rain or shine. www.scmsconline.org.

Where to be on Saturday, June 17th

Morning: Fulton Street Farmer's Market

Walk, bike, scoot, or take the Rapid down to the Farmer's Market. I'm volunteering at the Midtown coffee station from 8-11am, all proceeds benefit the Midtown Neighborhood Association. Our coffee station is located on the south side of the Market. Thanks to San Chez Bistro for donating pastries and a $25 gift card for our giveaway. Buy a coffee, support the neighborhood, and YOU might just win a $25 gift card to San Chez. See you at the Market!

Late Morning-Early Afternoon: Eastown Bizarre Bazaar

The annual event features over 100 local arts & crafts and other vendors, plus nine acoustic music performances. In Eastown, near Lake Drive and Wealthy Street SE.

Evening: La Famiglia Unplugged at the Wealthy Theatre

Doors open at 8pm. Popular local hip-hop band La Famiglia offers a collage of live instruments, tight grooves, serious lyrics and soulful melodies. A showcase of singers, mc's, jazz and classical soloists behind a one of a kind live band playing original hip hop beats. This event is La Famiglias first unplugged show and features popular vocalist Karisa Wilson along with several stringed instruments.

I hope you can make it to one, or all three, of these great events in Uptown!

-TripleG

There's also JAFAX, the Japanese Animation, Film, and Art eXpo. Not exactly downtown, I think it's growing big enough to warrant a mention. They've actually got some radio ads this year too =o Never would have imagined that 4 years ago.

Saturday, June 24th from 10 AM to 7:30

Sunday, June 25th from 10 AM to 6

Everything Free (except the vendors, of course -- probably one of the biggest free Japanese/Anime cons in the world, I'd imagine.)

Located at the Main GVSU Campus in the Kirkhoff Center and Henry Hall (I think that's right) I'll likely be there both days, all day. I also get paid the day before. THIS IS A BAD THING! (Last year I spent almost $100 there...)

Gosh, it's going to be a fun day in the City!

GridGirl, do you have the performance schedule for both of these events?

Anyone? Hope it's another beautiful day for an outdoor celebration.

Edited by mejane

With the exception of the La Famiglia concert which was packed, the Local First street party still confuses me a bit. When I was down there in the afternoon there didn't seem to be anything going on. There were a few people hanging out in the beer tent (maybe 10) and a handful of booths set up in another parking lot that didn't seem to offer much. Maybe I came at a bad time, but last year it was the same thing.. just a couple of people drinking beer in the tent and not much else going on.

The east hills jazz thing was packed on the other hand. That was good to see and it was fun to walk through all the shops.

Heritage Theatre Group presents:

"The Fantasticks"

opening tonight, June 29, at 8:00p.m. at Spectrum Theatre, on Fountain Street.

The production is being held in the Black Box part of Spectrum Theatre, which is upstairs.

A terrific show! I saw the final dress preview last evening.

Here's a link to more information:

http://www.htgonline.citymax.com/page/page/2093015.htm