Shows start at 7pm

Tickets $10

*Hawks and Owls

*Rachel Davis

*Seth Bernard and Daisy May

There'll be Speakers on important Water Issues before and between the

bands, tables with info on Water Quality issues, there'll be beer and

wine for sale.

Don't know much about the first two performers, but Seth and Daisy are always charmers. Proceeds go to the local Clean Water Action chapter.

One quick clarification, proceeds go to the Water Festival, an event co-sponsored by Clean Water Action.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mardi Gras events

Let's get this party started!

Fat Tuesday (Feb 5) - B.O.B. hosts a variety MG party, including music by Buckwheat Zydeco.

The End of Time Orchestra Dixieland Band (now, with extra sousaphone!!) will perform walk-around sets.

kingcak3.jpg

(As the box says, this is a Mardi Gras King Cake, came with beads. Sent by a vendor based in Louisiana. Ate their jambalaya mix last week)

Edited by Veloise

• 2 weeks later...

It's a great night for staying in and listening to the first ever Super Happy Funtime Old Time Radio show broadcast live on WYCE, 88.1, from the Wealthy Theater at 8pm (in 5 minutes).

Is that related to the Super Happy Funtime Burlesque Troupe I see advertised around town?

Is that related to the Super Happy Funtime Burlesque Troupe I see advertised around town?

Indeed it is the same basic cast doing the acting and band providing the instrumental interludes. They did, however, have to tone down some of the language and content to make it safe for radio. :) They also did a lot of "old time radio" style of skits.

I have mixed feelings on the show. There were definitely some good, funny skits, but it was kind of hit or miss. The music was pretty good, although the "recording" quality of the broadcast wasn't that great. I was also listening on a small radio, so that may have played a part as well.

We were going to try and actually attend, but it was so much easier to just stay home in our warm house and listen on the radio.

Yup.

Radio listeners missed out on a lot; there were visuals as well (not the usual ones). Vivacious Miss Audacious did her hula hoop routines (with the costume remaining static), and several of the performers added gestures and other treats. I was amazed at some of the talents heretofore undisplayed by the several regulars...singing, voices, pure comedy.

Guess ya had to be there.

(plays in the full orchestra)

Speaking of the burlesque show orchestra, here's the End of Times marching band rehearsing for our Fat Tuesday gig at the BOB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_EdSRZqq2Q&feature=user

~AND~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30L60yGvbbg&feature=user

More tuba! (22 lbs of heavenly joy!) The sideburned sax player is Mr Happy Pants.

Edited by Veloise

There are still a few individual seats left for Blast! at the Forest Hills Fine Arts Center on Wednesday night.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/08003EF0...;minorcatid=207

If you like music, I guarantee you won't be disappointed with this show. I hate to make this comparison, but it's kind of like Stomp, only WAY more musical, with horns and drums and color guard.

You can preview the show on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search

L@@king for a King Cake? Fresh Market (28th & I-96), of all places. I'm sure that it features organic colored sugar and PCB-free plastic beads, doubloons, and baby on top. (They had two, cinnamon, and cream cheese.)

Next door at the party place there's a half-aisle of MG accoutrements. Got me a tiara.

Glen Phillips (lead singer of Toad the Wet Sprocket) is playing a solo acoustic concert at The Photography Room on April 8.

Should be a great show...it's a really good venue for intimate concerts. More info at:

www.myspace.com/thephotographyroom

Here's a video of Glen playing a Toad song:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmC1_J_Njsw

Mardi Gras events

Fat Tuesday (Feb 5) - B.O.B. hosts a variety MG party, including music by Buckwheat Zydeco.

The End of Time Orchestra Dixieland Band (now, with extra sousaphone!!) will perform walk-around sets. ...

http://www.spike.com/profile/veloise/video/2939977

Mardi Gras gig at the B.O.B.

The End Times Orchestra Marching Band performs a raucous version of "Basin Street Blues."

Edited by Veloise

I know it's not right in the city, but I can't believe they actually pulled off getting the Rothbury Festival at the Double JJ!!!

No kidding! Only $199 for early bird tickets! Lots of big names, but I'm excited to see Tea Leaf Green, Keller Williams, and The Disco Biscuits. I've always wanted to see John Mayer live too. Say what you will, but that dude can play some blues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

United Growth Annual Meeting

Tuesday, March 18th, 8-10:30 am

MSU Sustainable Agriculture Professor Mike Hamm will be talking about how local food systems can benefit urban and rural communities. Mike is a wonderful speaker and he and his wife own and operate a farm and sell produce at a local farm market in the Lansing area. United Growth's Revitalizing Neighborhoods and Land Preservation Education Committee will be giving updates on their projects and three Board of Directors seats will be filled.

775 Ball Avenue NE

Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Phone: (616) 336-3265

$5 for members

$10 for non-members

The time on the attached flyer conflicts with the one posted on the events section of the website (which is what is copied above) and says it will end at 10am. I don't know which is accurate.

Don't know if I'll be able to attend for sure yet.

2008_Annual_Meeting.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this is kind of last minute, but I was just on Urban Planet this morning and thought that this seminar might be of interest to UP folks. My wife is doing a seminar along with a lender on how to buy Foreclosures, Short sales and Rehabs. She was just telling me that last month the percentage of homes sold in the area that were foreclosures was over 50%! It's tomorrow morning at 10am at St. Marks' Episcopal Church downtown. There's more information at http://www.juliegr.com/foreclosure/rehabs.html There's RSVP info on that page. Thanks!

P.S. There's no admission charge and there's free parking (but with this bunch I know you're not sweating about where to park downtown!)

Edited by mgreven