Events Kiosk

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to put icing on the cake for the PedalGR ride tomorrow. I talked to Nate Versluis tonight and I hear that our orchard tour will include picking and eating freshly ripened peaches straight from the tree.

Hope to see you tomorrow night at Founders, 6:30pm.

• 2 weeks later...

Heritage Theatre Group presents "Mirandolina: The Mistress of the Inn" opening Thursday, July 31 at Spectrum Theatre, and playing through August 9.

Join us for a farcical romp through olde Italy! All curtain times are at 8:00 p.m. Tickets are $20; $15 for seniors and $10 for students. To reserve your seats, call the Spectrum Theatre Box Office at 234-3946.

PedalGR - A biweekly bicycle ride for FREE ICE CREAM

That's right, this week I will be bribing you to join us on PedalGR with a free single cone at The Parlor at Cherry Hill Market (or $2 towards a more expensive cone). Lots and lots of delicious ice creams from House of Flavors (Ludington) await. Amy and I have walked the dogs over there twice and can attest to the deliciousness. Also, if you've never had a swing on Motu Viget, the DiSuvero Swing by city hall, you'll have that chance on PedalGR!

A few highlights (there are too many) include:

[*]Ah-Nab-Awen park with great view of the Grand River and downtown

[*]The Fish Ladder

[*]6th Street Bridge & Park

[*]DiSuvero Swing, Motu Viget (giant tire swing)

[*]GRPL Main Library

[*]Meyer May House

[*]South Heritage Hill

[*]Free Ice Cream! at the new Parlor at Cherry Hill Market

[*]New Women

Edited by fotoman311

• 2 weeks later...

Invite from Uptown:

Uptown Visioning Meeting

Everyone Invited.

Tuesday, August 19th

7:00 pm to 9:00 pm

941 Wealthy Street SE

Consensus Building Meeting

Everyone Invited.

Wednesday, September 10th

6:30 pm to 8:30 pm

941 Wealthy Street SE

We need your help to improve Uptown! The community is invited to the upcoming Visioning (August 19th, 7:00-9:00 pm) and Consensus Building Meetings (September 10th, 6:30-8:30 pm) at 941 Wealthy Street SE, Atomic Object offices, just west of the intersection of Wealthy & Diamond.

The Uptown Forward Team, which is comprised of representatives from three area neighborhood associations (Eastown Community Association, Midtown Neighborhood Association and the East Hills Council of Neighbors) and four area business associations (Eastown Business Associa

Tonight! Thursday, August 21 is Opening Night for "The Lion in Winter" , presented by Heritage Theatre Group, and performed on the Spectrum Theatre stage.

The family feud in King Henry II of England's household is in full force during the Christmas season as Henry works to preserve his legacy.His three sons are battling contenders for the throne. Comedy and drama mesh to make history come alive!

"The Lion In Winter" opens Thursday, August 21 and plays August 22, 23, 28, 29, and 30.

All curtain times are 8:00 pm.

Individual ticket prices:

ADULTS $20

SENIORS $15

STUDENT w/ ID $10

Season ticket prices:

ADULTS $45

SENIOR CITIZENS $40

Reserve your seats by calling the Spectrum Theatre box office at 234 3946.

Spectrum Theatre is at 160 Fountain St NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503.

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesdays with Morrie at Circle Theatre, Aquinas. Through Sept 6.

A pleasant surprise: walk-up ticket sales after 5 pm are half-price. Change from your $20!

Very good presentation. Bring tissues. Spoiler alert: Morrie dies. (scroll over to read)

[big Mitch Albom fan but I've never read the book, watched the made-for-TV movie, bought the fridge magnet...)

Edited by Veloise

PedalGR - End of Year PARTY! (and ride)

PedalGR, meeting at 6:30pm on Wednesday, 9/17/08 at Founder’s Brewing Company, 235 Grandville Ave SW.

It’s September. The air is getting crisp, the darkness is coming way too fast, and the first season of PedalGR (and these biweekly announcments :) ) must come to an end. FEAR NOT! We will be going out in style! After a short 7.5 mile “Bridge Pedal,” in which we will cross the Grand River 6 times, we will have a PARTY at Founders, the MOST awesome place to party in Grand Rapids. Plus, we just might have a couple of crazy posed photos on the bridges and the Project X earth sculpture!

Riders will get free appetizers and the absolute coolest bicycle photo cake that Grand Rapids has EVER seen! Rumors of ice cream have been swirling as well. Founders Brewing Company, as our generous host of these rides all year (and the only place in the city with enough convenient bicycle parking), has provided great prizes that some lucky bicyclists will be heading home with. The free food is being provided by the Rapid Wheelmen Bicycle Club, sponsors of great weekly rides and bicycle tours all over the Grand Rapids area.

Need to Know:

• This is a no-drop ride. Nobody in the group will be left behind.
  • Ride is ONLY 7.5 miles and should take approximately 60 minutes so we can get to the PARTY!!!
  • Water is recommended.
  • HELMETS ARE REQUIRED on Rapid Wheelmen Club rides.
  • We will try to leave right at 6:30 to maximize our daylight. Please plan to arrive a few minutes early.
  • Don’t forget to dress appropriately - long sleeves may be necessary if it’s cool outside.

A few highlights include:

• Downtown YMCA
  • Basilica of St. Adalbert (aka, the big green dome you can see from I-196)
  • Historic 6th St Bridge
  • Grand Rapids Project X earth sculpture (the lone hill, but it’s a doozy)
  • Belknap Hill I-196 dowtown overlook
  • Michigan St. Medical Hill, including the new Lemmon-Holten Cancer Pavilion and the currently under construction DeVos Children’s Hospital and MSU Medical School
  • Ah-Nab-Awen Park and Gerald R. Ford Museum and Burial Ground
  • Rosa Parks Circle and Monroe Center

I really want to thank everyone who has come out for a PedalGR ride. If you haven’t, you’re missing out! But you can still come to this last ride, and there’s always next year!

I also want to specifically thank Steve Faber of Newberry Place, Kristin Tindall of Blandford Nature Center, Suzanne Schulz and Clare Wade with the City of Grand Rapids, Nate Versluis of Versluis Orchards (mouthwatering PEACHES!), Eric Bouwens for sponsoring our free tacos at Tacos El Moroleon, and Norma Jansma and Lois Huisman of Hillcrest Community Gardens. All of these people helped me to make PedalGR even more interesting and helped the riders learn a little bit more about this great city.

When I started this, I wasn’t sure what to expect or what it was going to become, but I’ve had a blast, met tons of great new people, and seen a lot of the city I never knew existed.

Edited by fotoman311

If anyone is interested Robert F. Kennedy Jr. (nephew of John F. Kennedy) will be speaking at the Grant Fine Arts Center on Oct 7th.

Tickets are complimentary, distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis, and are available by calling (231) 834-5630.

Approximately 800 tickets are available.

Grant Fine Arts Center

331 E. State St. Grant

(231) 834-5630

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...&thispage=3

If anyone is interested Robert F. Kennedy Jr. (nephew of John F. Kennedy) will be speaking at the Grant Fine Arts Center on Oct 7th.

If you have a chance to see him speak, I highly recommend it. I saw him about three years ago at the sustainability conference out at Steelcase. He's probably one of the most dynamic speakers I've seen in a very long time.

PedalGR - End of Year PARTY! (and ride)

Just a final reminder.

Come on out for the final PedalGR ride and year end PARTY! 6:30pm at Founder's Brewing Company, 235 Grandville Ave. The ride part is only 7.5 miles.

Scroll up four posts for more details or visit www.pedalgr.com.

Rumor has it there might also be a great group photo op planned for one of the pedestrian bridges over the river! The weather looks fantastic, sunny in the mid 60s, but you might want to bring something long sleeve if you'll be riding home.

Arlington Midwest is at the Dominican Center (Fulton and Lakeview) until Monday noon. Go see it if you can. The article below lists exhibit hours; 30 minutes ago it was open with volunteers (huddled in lawn chairs with blankets) to explain. Especially moving at night.

http://www.mediamouse.org/briefs/062608arlin.php

Edited by Veloise

Don't miss GR's biggest pillow fight ever this Saturday:

http://events.grnow.com/events/index.php?c...008&month=9

2008 Downtown Pillow Fight (2,500+ Participants) Massive Downtown Pillow Fight.

The rules are simple, you only need a pillow and a solid colored t shirt.

-At 2PM sharp at Rosa Parks Circle I will sound an air horn and the pillow fight begins for the next five minutes. This event currently has 2,500+ people RSVPing the event on facebook.

-BEFORE 2PM! Find teammates wearing the same colors as yourself, try and keep your pillow out of sight, up the shirt or something possibly. DON'T be near the circle AT ALL, but stay relatively close, you have to come out of no where. Listen for the Good, The Bad, The Ugly theme song to come on over the P.A. to signal that its ALMOST 2PM. War Cries and Battle Paint are encouraged. This event is as fun and rediculous as you want to make it

-TEAMS AND T SHIRTS: Teams are divided by colored shirts, If you show up wearing a blue shirt, you're in the blue team. If you wear a white shirt, you're in the white team, etc. Immediately ban together with your brothers and fight the other colors!

-No aqua-green colors or anything, keep it simple. And you are wearing multiple colors, you have no team.

-Accepted Colors: Black, Brown, White, Green, Orange, Red, Yellow, Blue/Purple.

-Be smart, only cotton/feather etc. pillows, nothing hard at all. And also, if you're a 300 pound guy, don't be swinging with all your might at the face of a 80 pound girl. Be smart.

Before and after the event we'll be eating at the Friday's right next to Rosa Parks Circle, come eat with us!

To any onlookers, this will look like a living canvas is revolting against itself. To any participants, this will be so much fun.

If you have any questions call me, Rob, 295.4562

September 28th, 2008 02:00 PM - 02:10 PM

Rosa Parks Circle

Monroe Center St NW & Monroe Ave NW

Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Don't miss GR's biggest pillow fight ever this Saturday:

http://events.grnow.com/events/index.php?c...008&month=9

2008 Downtown Pillow Fight (2,500+ Participants) Massive Downtown Pillow Fight.

The rules are simple, you only need a pillow and a solid colored t shirt.

...-TEAMS AND T SHIRTS: Teams are divided by colored shirts... Immediately ban together with your brothers and fight the other colors! ...And you are wearing multiple colors, you have no team.

Nah, that means you're a referee. Potential umps, bring your Acme Thunderer and a yellow flag.

HOME MOVIE DAY - WEST MICHIGAN

Grab those old Super 8, 8mm, and 16mm films out of your attic and head down to West Michigan's 1st Annual Home Movie Day!

In conjunction with the worldwide celebration of Home Movie Day, Grand Rapids will host a day of screenings of YOUR home movies. Come early, get your films inspected, and share your motion picture memories with your friends and neighbors. Find out about preserving your films and transferring them to video. Free film to video transfer available for films about Grand Rapids!

Saturday, October 18th, 2008

Film drop-off and inspection: Beginning at 1pm

Screenings: 1:30 - 4:30

Koning Microcinema, inside Wealthy Theatre

1130 Wealthy St., Grand Rapids, MI, 49506

Free and open to all!

All film - no video!

For more information, visit http://www.viget.org/Home_Movie_Day or the main Home Movie Day website, http://www.homemovieday.com.

For specific questions, contact Jennifer Proctor at [email protected].