Events Kiosk

Since we're posting Christmas shows...I better put in a plug for my last five shows. Festival of Lights - "A Christmas Carol" at Calvary Church. We're basically doing a full musical this year (it's been more variety show in past years) with a great cast, 200 member choir, 50 piece orchestra (who are wonderful - despite their conductor ;) ) and all the fog, ghosts and Tiny Tim that you'd expect. I may be biased, but I think it's a wonderful show, a great group of volunteers star in it and it's great way to kick off the holiday season! Plus it's a cheap date - what other Broadway-type show can you see for $6 or $7! You won't be disappointed (unless you're Scrooge!).

Tonight (Friday) at 7pm

Saturday at 3pm and 7pm

Sunday at 3pm and 7pm

Star Tickets Plus

http://www.calvary-church.net/festival/

Here's my spoiler: Scrooge turns out to be a good, generous guy at the end!

Edited by mgreven

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuba Christmas is Sunday at St Cece's.

Concert 2 pm, followed by the GRCC ensembles. Free. Both concerts. Christmas cookie reception (lemon squares, mmmm).

Musicians: open call rehearsal at noon. Everyone is welcome, as long as you have one of the appropriate instruments. (Yesterday I got a call from a home school mom with two low brass players in her family. Nice.)

Come at 11 am for registration, horn decorations, "is that really a double bell euphonium?" and pizza brunch.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gr-tubachristmas/details.htm

Planeteers Sailor and Fotoman are waiting in the wings, and I might also drop by.

Since we're posting Christmas shows...I better put in a plug for my last five shows. Festival of Lights - "A Christmas Carol" at Calvary Church. We're basically doing a full musical this year (it's been more variety show in past years) with a great cast, 200 member choir, 50 piece orchestra (who are wonderful - despite their conductor ;) ) and all the fog, ghosts and Tiny Tim that you'd expect. I may be biased, but I think it's a wonderful show, a great group of volunteers star in it and it's great way to kick off the holiday season! Plus it's a cheap date - what other Broadway-type show can you see for $6 or $7! You won't be disappointed (unless you're Scrooge!).

Tonight (Friday) at 7pm

Saturday at 3pm and 7pm

Sunday at 3pm and 7pm

Star Tickets Plus

Thanks for the link mgreven. That sounds like a great show at a great price.

Tuba Christmas is Sunday at St Cece's.

Concert 2 pm, followed by the GRCC ensembles. Free. Both concerts. Christmas cookie reception (lemon squares, mmmm).

Musicians: open call rehearsal at noon. Everyone is welcome, as long as you have one of the appropriate instruments. (Yesterday I got a call from a home school mom with two low brass players in her family. Nice.)

Come at 11 am for registration, horn decorations, "is that really a double bell euphonium?" and pizza brunch.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gr-tubachristmas/details.htm

Planeteers Sailor and Fotoman are waiting in the wings, and I might also drop by.

Wish I could go :cry: (see my other post) gotta dust of that Euphonium...TC is always fun!

I would love to come and play this year!

Unfortunately, I'll be off playing my trombone at the final KissCross cyclocross bicycle race in Holland. http://www.kisscross.com (I made the "above the fold" photo from the last race :) ) Weather looks fantastic! (by fantastic I of course mean above freezing, windy, with a chance of rain! haha.) :alc:

Edited by fotoman311

Tonight (Friday) at 7pm

Saturday at 3pm and 7pm

Sunday at 3pm and 7pm

Star Tickets Plus

mgreven speaks truth. Wonderful show! Lots of great visuals (red and green banners on the music stands, enough strands of white lights to completely restock a Flowerland, choir all in concert black up high, nifty lighting effects throughout the show). Incredible Dickens/Victorian/Civil War costumes shown to great effect via choreography and stage direction.

There is some traditional country dancing in a ballroom (I felt right at home). Some black crepey undead in chains. The soloists all have great pipes.

And, true to all Christmas backdrops, there is a downtown CBD with sidewalks, Victorian street lamps, mixed uses, a live-work unit, and great transparency/facade interest. (No one sets a holiday musical in a shopping mall.)

On your way in, it's hard to not trip over a kettle and a substantial brass band (we had probably 15 players tonight). If it was too cold/late/whatever to dig out something for the kettle, on your way out, charming volunteers have donation buckets. All of the collection goes to, and stays with, the local Salvation Army.

Four more chances before it closes. Not sold out tonight.

Well, that's what I get for not checking in here for almost a week. Looks like I missed my chance at this one. (Concerts are my favorite part of this season.) I've already got a full day planned for tomorrow, including attending Tuba Christmas.

Almost daily I remember that early on when I moved here some people couldn't fathom that I'd want to live in Grand Rapids after living in the Chicago area, suggesting that there isn't enough to do here. I find myself very often torn between multiple options. Tomorrow has been one of the most difficult since I've been here -- multiple things I REALLY wanted to do.

Tonight (Friday) at 7pm

Saturday at 3pm and 7pm

Sunday at 3pm and 7pm

Star Tickets Plus

• 2 weeks later...

Annual Christmas Eve Carillon Concert on the Beckering Family Carillon

Date: December 24, 2008

Time: 9:30 p.m. - 10:15 p.m.

Location: Lacks International Plaza, Richard M. DeVos Center, Robert C. Pew Grand Rapids Campus

Professor Julianne Vanden Wyngaard, university carillonneur, performs on the Beckering Family Carillon, in this traditional concert of holiday music. Free admission. For more information, please call (616) 331-3484 or visit http://www.gvsu.edu/music.

This is the big tower down on Fulton a few blocks west of the river. This has become a Christmas Eve tradition for me and Amy. We listen to the bells for awhile and then walk over along the river, usually while the snow falls the last couple of years. It's beautiful, romantic, and FREE!!

• 1 month later...

2nd Annual Grand Rapids Bicycle Film Festival, Saturday Feb. 7th at the Wealthy Theater!

The festival has "grown up" and will be held in the Wege Auditorium this year instead of the Koning Micro-Cinema which was sold out for last year's festival. If you know anyone who is interested in bikes or you just want to see a couple of cool movies and a few "shorts," here is the official website: http://grbff.blogspot.com. Please spread the word!

3231622731_ea0c8b20be_b.jpg

Edited by fotoman311

Occasionally there are posts here on UP lamenting the destruction of the old city hall. Here's a chance to hear more about that building and its architect.

At the February meeting of the Grand Rapids Historical Society, Valerie Marvin will be giving a talk entitled Resurrecting Elijah Myers - Gilded Age Architect of Grand Rapids Old City Hall and Michigan State Capital. Myers was a leading architect of government building in the late nineteenth century. Along with many city halls, his buildings include the state capitals of Michigan, Texas, and Colorado. In Grand Rapids, besides the city hall, he also was the architect of the old police court building.

Ms. Marvin has been traveling around the country doing research for something called the Myers Archive Project - Michigan State Capital. According to the Society's newsletter, "after describing and giving an overview of Myer's life and work, Marvin will focus on how the Grand Rapids buildings fit into his illustrious career."

The meeting is at the Gerald R Ford Museum at 7:00 pm, Thursday February 5. It's open to the public and admission is free and the parking is free too.

Edited by walker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Mardi Gras event, hooray!

World's 1st Motionless Parade

Floats don't move, you do!

Event Host: Grand Rapids Downtown Alliance

Saturday, February 21, 2009 6:00pm - Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 12:00pm

Arena District bars & restaurants, Ionia, Fulton and Ottawa

Check out floats along Ionia St. They don't move, you do! Visit each float, get your beads and vote on the best one. All donations collected to place votes go to local charity. Cash your beads in at participating Arena District bars & restaurants for food and drink specials.

(This event simply cries out for live strolling music.)

• 2 weeks later...

GO SEE "The Producers"! It's at the Civic. Costumes, staging, casting are all stellar. Sit up front and get hit with streamers. Excellent production, and very funny.

Er, it would not make a good two-fer with the THEM exhibit at Fountain Street Church. Just typin'.

Women's Resource Center is hosting their 20th annual Pillar Awards luncheon on Wednesday, March 25 at the Amway Grand. Event runs 11:45-1:30. Tickets are $50 each. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, The Right Place and YMCA of Greater GR will be awarded for their efforts in empowering women in the workplace. Learn more at www.grwrc.org.

• 2 weeks later...

There will be a soup tasting fundraiser for the Wealthy Street Business Alliance on Saturday from 6-10 p.m. It is at 1015 Wealthy St. S.E. (The Electric Cheetah). $10 at the door gets you samples of soup from 15 to 20 local businesses, bread from the Wealthy Bakery, beer and wine. You will also be asked to vote for the best soup. Hope to see you there.

Aquinas College Theatre and the Contemporary Writers Series presents the final preview production of WRITER 1272, a new play by Vincent Delaney.

Somewhere across our fair land, high school students are frantically sweating over their keyboards, trying to write the perfect college entrance essay. And somewhere, some students are buying their essays from anonymous writers from the internet underground.

But who are these writers, and what sort of dreams do they have? Delaney

Found in my in-box.

Please join us as we celebrate the official launch of Friends of Grand Rapids Parks, a new nonprofit enterprise dedicated to protecting, enhancing and expanding parks and public space in our community.

The kickoff event begins at 3:30 PM on Thursday, April 16, 2009 in the East Hills neighborhood.

We will start at the Richard App Gallery (910 Cherry Street SE, between Eastern and Diamond) with an informal showing of the redevelopment plans for Ball-Perkins, Butterworth, Belknap Lookout and several other parks and public spaces generated by Green Grand Rapids and several other neighborhood initiatives.

At approximately 4:45 PM Friends of GR Parks will make a brief announcement and, for the first time, publicly introduce its new executive director.

After that folks are invited to walk next door to the Green Well and join the monthly gathering of Green Drinks for spirited conversation and networking around the idea of building a more vibrant and sustainable region.

Andy Guy

Friends of GR Parks

(616) 308-6250

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Grand Rapids Senior Center is having a benefit pancake breakfast with sausage links, scrambled eggs, cinnamon applesouce, juice and coffee on Friday May 29th starting at 7:00 AM til ?

Suggested donation is $2.50 Sounds like a great deal to check out the new Senior Center at 333 South Division Ave. on the corner of Goodrich on block North of Wealthy on Division.

All ages are welcome!

~John