Events Kiosk

Gather 'round, Shakespeare fanatics!

Thursday, July 6th, 8:00 p.m.

Spectrum Theatre on Fountain Street

Much Ado About Nothing,

...starring, (among others) yours truly!

Well, not starring, exactly; but that's not the point! Come see this comedy, which features romance, mistaken identities, mayhem, skullduggery, and lotsa laffs!

Presented by Heritage Theatre Group, of which I'm proud to be a member.

See you there!

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gather 'round, Shakespeare fanatics!

Thursday, July 6th, 8:00 p.m.

Spectrum Theatre on Fountain Street

Much Ado About Nothing,

Ya know what we need in this town? Shakespeare in the Park. I went to some during my undergrad days, and still recall it fondly.

[memo to self: make that call to the Office of Special Events, like the city guy told me to last night]

Too late for this year, but worth mentioning for next time: "Taste of GR" last Friday and Saturday was a real nice event. Held at the zoo, where it was perhaps 10 degrees cooler than my pad. Food was great. You could feed yourself pretty well for only $5 (buying coupons to exchange at the restaurant booths) if you didn't blow it all on a crab cake. Tastes of everything from flautas (2 coupons) to lobster bisque (4, IIRC). As the hours went on the portions got huger, so by 9:30 the "prices" dropped. Reasonably OK music, and it you didn't like it, wait 40 minutes for the next band.

The community assn whose members volunteered to sell tickets gets a portion of the sales. My planned events for the weekend fell through (sitting in the ICU waiting room at Beaumont Hospital) so I volunteered; luuuuuve these free T-shirts!

And I met GRGrid Girl, who unmasked me as soon as she heard mention of the "B" word.

This was their 4th annual, so watch for it next year!

Too late for this year, but worth mentioning for next time: "Taste of GR" last Friday and Saturday was a real nice event. Held at the zoo, where it was perhaps 10 degrees cooler than my pad. Food was great. You could feed yourself pretty well for only $5 (buying coupons to exchange at the restaurant booths) if you didn't blow it all on a crab cake. Tastes of everything from flautas (2 coupons) to lobster bisque (4, IIRC). As the hours went on the portions got huger, so by 9:30 the "prices" dropped. Reasonably OK music, and it you didn't like it, wait 40 minutes for the next band.

The community assn whose members volunteered to sell tickets gets a portion of the sales. My planned events for the weekend fell through (sitting in the ICU waiting room at Beaumont Hospital) so I volunteered; luuuuuve these free T-shirts!

And I met GRGrid Girl, who unmasked me as soon as she heard mention of the "B" word.

I hit up this event Saturday afternoon-ish. Great time, great food, OK music as stated. Everything I had was good. Apparently I should've waited around a bit longer for the bigger portions as some of the portions I paid 2 tickets for were about 1/2 ticket sized! Looking forward to next year.

Have been away from tv/'net/radio for the rest of the weekend. Any results on the rib cookoff?

Too late for this year, but worth mentioning for next time: "Taste of GR" last Friday and Saturday was a real nice event. Held at the zoo, where it was perhaps 10 degrees cooler than my pad. Food was great.....

.....And I met GRGrid Girl, who unmasked me as soon as she heard mention of the "B" word.

I was impressed with the Taste of GR this year and look forward to volunteering for this event next year. I liked how the organizers had local restaurants on one side and the chains on the other. The food was great.

Veloise, as soon as you mentioned the bike map to my friend, your file came up in my head!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just remembered that the E. Lansing folk festival is this weekend. It's well worth going to. All the acts repeat several times over three days. It's free. Outdoors in downtown ELansing, near where Dooley's used to be.

I'll be on the dance floor wearing my Zydeco Party shirt, and my ride will be ensconced in the free bike park provided by the League of Michigan Bicyclists.

http://www.greatlakesfolkfest.net/

Edited by Veloise

More folk music:

Jam on the Grand

Annual 6-hour jam session in Riverside Park. Noon-6 pm this coming Saturday. Held outdoors under a tent. Lots of musical styles and instruments; they are very tolerant of "different" instruments. (As a player of low brass, it can be disconcerting to hear from the folkie nazis. The one time I've gone, there were guitars, banjos, fiddles, dulcimers, and other string band items, along with flutes and penney whistles.)

Probably an arts & crafts show same day and place, too (have yet to see that write-up in the paper). Parking is nearby and free. BYO chair.

www.bluewaterramblers.com for info.

walktocure_logo.gif

September 30th at Ah-Nab-Awen Park to benefit Juvenile Diabetes research (Type 1).

If you would like to donate, shoot me a Personal Message, and I'll give you our team name to enter HERE to donate online. Researchers now believe a cure will be found within our lifetime, but continued funding is desperately needed.

Thanks!

Jan Gehl, architect and author, has accepted an invitation by Prof Lee Hardy to speak at Calvin College on the evening of Monday, November 6. More details coming later. The GVAIA will be co-sponsoring this event. Mr. Gehl will also be one of the plenary speakers at the Railvolution conference in Chicago in November.

I heard Mr. Gehl speak in California two summers ago and it was a highlight of the CNU conference. His presentation was engaging and enlightening.

This would be a great presentation for anyone interested in good places -- interested citizens and professionals. I would strongly encourage people on this forum to attend this event. He is an excellent and engaging speaker, who has a wealth of experience in creating public space.

Jan Gehl, architect and author, has accepted an invitation by Prof Lee Hardy to speak at Calvin College on the evening of Monday, November 6. More details coming later. The GVAIA will be co-sponsoring this event. Mr. Gehl will also be one of the plenary speakers at the Railvolution conference in Chicago in November.

I heard Mr. Gehl speak in California two summers ago and it was a highlight of the CNU conference. His presentation was engaging and enlightening.

This would be a great presentation for anyone interested in good places -- interested citizens and professionals. I would strongly encourage people on this forum to attend this event. He is an excellent and engaging speaker, who has a wealth of experience in creating public space.

November 6...International Town Planning Day?

[learned something in school]

Local Christian Worship Band "Water For The Thirsty" will play a benefit concert for Amazon Relief on

August 30, 2006 at 7:00 PM Wealthy Theatre

Tickets are $5. Wealthy Theatre is at 1030 Wealthy SE in Grand Rapids.

About Water For The Thirsty: Water For The Thirsty is a dynamic, Christ-centered music ministry dedicated to spreading The Word of God in a fun and exciting way. Formed in April of 2003, and based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, WFTT has played at music festivals, for youth ministry gatherings, liturgies, and also as special music for church services.

About Amazon Relief: Amazon Relief

Edited by localtalent

Freedom of... Oddity at UICA tonight uica.org

Heard this on the radio, and thought perhaps they'd had a tape glitch and I was hearing a TdF drug test report. But no.

"Costumed entertainers from Redmoon Theatre out of Chicago will be wearing skirts made of sculpted steel that serve an array of fine food prepared by Louis Benton Steakhouse, and wine will flow from an automata bicycle."

Check out the photos. Women wearing tables, c'mon up and grab a bite. Hmmm. $75 admission.

[perhaps I could volunteer to be the sommelier/pedaller]

Coming to a UICA near you!

Who Killed the Electric Car?

It ran on electricity, produced no emissions and catapulted American technology to the forefront of the automotive industry. The lucky few who drove it never wanted to give it up. So why did General Motors crush its fleet of EV-1 electric vehicles in the Arizona desert? Writer/director Chris Paine chronicles the life and mysterious death of the EV-1, examining the cultural and economic ripple effects caused by its conception and how they reverberated through the halls of government and big business. Interviews with automakers, legislators, engineers, consumers, celebrities and car enthusiasts piece the complex puzzle together.

Just set up a new gig at ULX again... this time on Friday the 13th in October. The set will be taking on a little more darker theme this time around (Will start off normal, but will get dark halfway through) due to the time of year. I was originally looking at Halloween night, but it's a Tuesday >< (eww). Friday the 13th is a much better night ^^

I'll be experimenting with several styles, beginning earlier as well due to many people having morning shifts. I'll kick it off at 9PM with some Funky House and Trance Breakbeats. Then I'll slide into some Trance at 10PM, featuring a beautiful mix of Classical/Trance Hybrid tracks (ever RAVE to Tchaikovsky before? =p). I'll pick things up at 11PM in preperation for the finale with some harder Trance and some Goa/Psy-Trance. Then at Midnight I'll let it all go and rip into mind-shattering, frightening Gabber mixed with some darker-sounding Happy Hardcore (if I can find some, it's too damn happy! But the speed and craziness of Happy Hardcore will definately be an element here.)

As last time, it's also likely that I'll be playing some lighter music.. probably a selection of Ambience this time.. for the hour preceding the event at a reduced volume.

Here's the flier:

Flyer_-_4_Hours_of_Darkness.png

September 16--Downtown Grand Rapids - Red Hat Day and book signing at Riverbank. (What, no bus trip? No shopping mall?)

If you haven't yet appreciated the spectacle of a Red Hat event, here's your chance. (Michael, bring the bachelors!) Starts 11:30 am. Book signing (a Red Hat recipe book), culinary cook-off/judging at 2:30.

(Purple bike unless I need the fenders on the red one!)

Wow, this weekend is c R a Z y ! Celebration on the Grand. An open house at St C's (I've been wanting to see the interior). Several crafts shows and neighborhood party events on Saturday. Hispanic Festival on Calder Plaza.

ETA: Patriots' Day Parade down Fulton, 11 am.

Probably much much more...

Edited by Veloise

Wow, this weekend is c R a Z y ! Celebration on the Grand. An open house at St C's (I've been wanting to see the interior). Several crafts shows and neighborhood party events on Saturday. Hispanic Festival on Calder Plaza. Probably much much more...

Much, much more... (and that's just Saturday)