Events Kiosk

On September 21st the Grand Valley Chapter of the American Institute of Architects is bringing in a very interesting speaker. We have asked Mark Cameron who is the Executive Director of the Baltimore Neighborhood Design Center to come and speak to us about the work of the NDC. You can take a look at their website here http://www.ndc-md.org. In a nutshell the NDC is a non-profit community design organization that from a pool of volunteers does pro-bono design work in the community for different organizations. The NDC was founded in 1968 and now has two offices in Maryland doing projects across the state. Design professionals from all disciplines are involved in volunteering in the NDC. Usually their work involves doing programming and conceptual design. It gives the community organizations a bit of a start when actually hiring a design professional thereafter.

Everyone is welcome to attend, we'd love to have a stong UP presence in attendance. The venue will be at the UICA downtown at 41 Sheldon Blvd.

Here is a link to the poster for the program Linky

You can register for the program here Linky 2

Edited by Nitro

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming to a UICA near you!

Who Killed the Electric Car?

It ran on electricity, produced no emissions and catapulted American technology to the forefront of the automotive industry. The lucky few who drove it never wanted to give it up. So why did General Motors crush its fleet of EV-1 electric vehicles in the Arizona desert? Writer/director Chris Paine chronicles the life and mysterious death of the EV-1, examining the cultural and economic ripple effects caused by its conception and how they reverberated through the halls of government and big business. Interviews with automakers, legislators, engineers, consumers, celebrities and car enthusiasts piece the complex puzzle together.

Adding the showtimes because they are never in the paper!

9/10 Sunday - 3:00, 7:00 PM

9/11 Monday - 7:00 PM

9/12 Tuesday - 7:00 PM

9/13 Wednesday - 7:00 PM

9/14 Thursday - 7:00 PM

9/15 Friday - 5:00, 7:00, 9:00 PM

9/16 Saturday - 1:00, 3:00, 5:00, 7:00, 9:00 PM

9/17 Sunday - 1:00, 3:00, 5:00, 7:00 PM

September 16--Downtown Grand Rapids - Red Hat Day and book signing at Riverbank. (What, no bus trip? No shopping mall?)

If you haven't yet appreciated the spectacle of a Red Hat event, here's your chance. (Michael, bring the bachelors!) Starts 11:30 am. Book signing (a Red Hat recipe book), culinary cook-off/judging at 2:30.

(Purple bike unless I need the fenders on the red one!)

I will be the guy in the Green Hat!

From Professor Lee Hardy at Calvin College:

Mark your calendars again: the Jan Gehl lecture at Calvin College has been shifted to Thursday, November 9. (7:30pm at the Prince Conference Center off the Beltline)

The date of the lecture was intially announced for Monday, November 6, but Gehl asked to move the date till after the Chicago Railvolution Conference in Chicago--where he is giving the keynote address--so he could accept an invitation to speak in Bogota, Columbia on the 6th.

Gehl is the director of the urban design program at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in Copenhagen, and the principal of Gehl Architects, a firm specializing in urban quality consultation.

Go to www.gehlarchitects.dk for more information.

He is also the author of several books, including the now classic "Life Between Buildings." He informed me that his new book, "New City Life," should be out this month. Of course, we will make these books avaibable at the lecture.

There's a nice article on him in Wickipedia.

Great, fun, exiting event for a really great cause:

The HUGE Texas Hold'em Tournament to benefit:

Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary

Thursday September 28th at 6PM

At Centennial Country Club

3361 Charlevoix Dr. SE

Grand Rapids, MI 49546

Open to the first 300 players

1st place wins $500, 2nd $250, final table $50 each

Other prizes include Tigers playoff tickets and Lions football tickets

Click here to learn more about the HUGE Hold'em Tournament

State of Michigan License M34120

Must be 18 or older to participate

Last weekend, I had a great time downtown at the Hispanic Festival.

Tonight I'm heading back downtown for the Mexican Independence Day Festival.

The Chicago based band, Sones de Mexico are playing tonight at 7pm, live at the Calder.

You should stop down to hear the amazing music, eat the incredible food, and drink some good beer. This high energy event makes this the place to be tongiht.

On September 21st the Grand Valley Chapter of the American Institute of Architects is bringing in a very interesting speaker. We have asked Mark Cameron who is the Executive Director of the Baltimore Neighborhood Design Center to come and speak to us about the work of the NDC. You can take a look at their website here http://www.ndc-md.org. In a nutshell the NDC is a non-profit community design organization that from a pool of volunteers does pro-bono design work in the community for different organizations. The NDC was founded in 1968 and now has two offices in Maryland doing projects across the state. Design professionals from all disciplines are involved in volunteering in the NDC. Usually their work involves doing programming and conceptual design. It gives the community organizations a bit of a start when actually hiring a design professional thereafter.

Everyone is welcome to attend, we'd love to have a stong UP presence in attendance. The venue will be at the UICA downtown at 41 Sheldon Blvd.

Here is a link to the poster for the program Linky

You can register for the program here Linky 2

A bump to the top for this one........last chance to sign up.

Now members of the Rapid Wheelmen bicycle club are throwing pledges towards another member and moi. First it was, "if K bowls a strike on the first throw." Now it's "if both K and Judy bowl a strike anytime all evening." Sheesh, we have three hours!

I saw a bunch of bicyclists on Pearl near the Amway Grand this evening. Was that them?

I saw a bunch of bicyclists on Pearl near the Amway Grand this evening. Was that them?

Nope, the bowling was Friday night. Dang it was smoky. I was on a team with two smokers (relatives of an organizer).

Jeff, there's something called "Critical Mass" that takes place on the last Friday of every month in many cities...worldwide. Usually starts at 5 or 5:30 in a downtown location (in whatever city it's in). Traditionally no one claimes credit for it, preferring the moniker "disorganized coincidence." And yes, there's been one in GR.

The bike club wimps out in a drizzle (fenders add extra weight, slow you down!) so I am guessing that what you saw was CM.

There are interesting websites about it; the event in San Francisco attracts 10,000 riders, and for a while there was not enough jail space for all the arrestees.

Heritage Hill Home Tour this Saturday and Sunday. Sounds like the weather is going to be perfect!

I believe this is the first year the tour goes into Sunday as well, so FINALLY I can go! (Long-standing gig in Ohio on Saturday.)

Edit:

Advance tickets are $15.00 and are available at the Heritage Hill Association office or at Family Fare and D&W Food Stores, Chase Bank and Lake Michigan Credit Unions offices, Martha

Edited by Veloise

I believe this is the first year the tour goes into Sunday as well, so FINALLY I can go! (Long-standing gig in Ohio on Saturday.)

Advance tix are much cheaper and readily available than day-ofs.

You won't be sorry - it's always lovely. I buy the cheaper tickets in advance too.

With last night's snow...this couldn't be more perfect:

Midwest What! - Plays October 14th ONLY!

Presented by Antix Media and the UICA

Midwest What! is the first movie release from Antix Media, and Grand Rapids director Marc Moline. A collaborative film about snowboarding in the Midwest, MWW! is set to be released on DVD October 16th. The premiere showing of this film is set to be held at the UICA on October 14th, with a rock-concert and reception thrown by 280 Studios, DYCE Productions, and PureGR.com.

Tickets are $10, doors open at 7:30PM

For more information: Antix Media

See YOU There!

I'll be back from China for this event. I hope to see you there.

Where else can you try 40 beers, eat food from Mangiamo's, and listen to music for $25? This event is a great deal for a good cause:

BEERS OF THE WORLD @ THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE

Saturday, October 21st, 2006

06:00 PM - 11:00 PM

Mangiamo!

1033 Lake Drive SE

Grand Rapids, MI 49506

Sample over 40 beers from around the World at this beer tasting event at Mangiamo

Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary is holding Red Hot Chili Peppers Tickets Raffle

Red Hot Chili Peppers Tickets Raffle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mackenzie's is raffling off two (2) Red Hot Chili Peppers tickets for the November 11th show at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids. The lucky winner of these tickets will be seated on the main floor in row C

• 2 weeks later...