Events Kiosk

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Upcoming Events:

DJ Godfather & Nano 2 Hype, 2 well-known Michigan Hip Hop / Ghetto Tech / Booty House DJs will be joining together for a set at the Galewood Tavern on Dec. 28th.

They will be opened by local DJs Frank Frizzil, Chris Roxx, and DJ Krazy.. unless things have changed with the cancellation of the weekly Thursday night thing. I'll have to check into that.

9PM - 2AM Dec. 28th

The Galewood

1978 Godfrey

Wyoming, MI 49509

The other event, I'll be spinning out at ULX on January 13th. Each party I spin gains more and more interest than the first.. I'm experiencing a snowball effect here which has yet to show any signs of slowing down. =D At this venue I will be utilising a 20 foor projection screen.

07-01-13.jpg

I've yet to hear of any large upcoming events, sadly, so aside from these 2 events, the coming month sounds like it will be a bit slow in the local electronica scene.

went to this last year, and it was excellent. (Wish it was tonight rather than Friday.)

Winter Solstice Concert IX: "I Am in Need of Music" with Nancy Summers-Meeusen, Stephanie Wiltse, Cindy Goudzwaard, Barbara Boertje-De Vries, Philip Pletcher, Bonnie Bierma, following 6:30 p.m. labyrinth meditative walk, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Trinity United Methodist Church, 1100 Lake Drive SE, free, 456-7168, grtumc.org

Vacation time! Rather than go sit on the highways, I'll be in town and hanging around until Jan 2 (back to work). Anyone wanting to meet for coffee and discussion, please PM me. I am likely to be dropping by Four Friends and Olive Express on any weekday that they are open (starting tomorrrow).

[now with a blue laptop bag]

Edited by Veloise

• 3 weeks later...

ICSC Alliance Program coming up March 6, 2007.

This Alliance Program is designed for the members of the Public and Private Sector to discuss development issues, to explore how public/private partnerships can work together, to synthesize the needs of the community while maintaining the interests of private investment strategies, and to have the

opportunity to network and forge new relationships.

Featuring Sam Cummings, Jon Rooks, Scott Wierda, Denny Sturtevant, Ken Nacci and Greg Northrup, among others.

Link to Program Brochure

• 3 weeks later...

Late notice: 2004 Nobel Peace Prize winner Wangari Maathai, Kenyan enviromental conservationist,

will speak at Fountain Street tonight at 7:00 (doors open 6:30)

"Maathai's Greenbelt movement has assisted women in planting 20 million trees on farms, schools and church compounds".

Free, presented by the Nokomis Foundation and West Michigan Women's Studies Council.

Mardi Gras events

Friday Feb 8: benefit for the Red Cross. Celebration Cinema, IMAX. "Hurricane on the Bayou" film, Cajun buffet, performers (ahem!), cash bar, prizes, dessert. $50/person. Buffet 6-8 pm, film at 9. (Veloise and MG tuba arrive 5:30 pm.) http://greatergrandrapids.redcross.org/home.htm

Sat Feb 11: Mardi Gras Party at One Trick Pony. Serving Gumbo & Jambalya for Dinner Special and Abita Beer!!!!!! Of course, as with any Mardi Gras....more surprises! Creolization Band w/ David Molinari, 8 pm. NO COVER CHARGE!

Sat Feb 17 --Tues Feb 20: Mardi Gras charity event. Sazerac Lounge will be hosting 4 days of event to benefit the KIDS FOOD BASKET of Grand Rapids, a local charity that identifies and feeds over 1000 school children a take home dinner daily.

SAT.....A masquerade ball and Lynn Thompson Band CD relaese.

SUN....Super Happy Funtime Burlesque show (mardi gras edition) [i have no idea what this entails!!]

MON....Luni Gras (fat monday) CARNIVAL, with miniture FLOAT BUILING contset, indoor parade, music etc.

FAT TUESDAY.....We will be having a traditional SEAFOOD BOIL, with crab, crawdad, tators, corn, salad, bread, king cake, and ABITA beer.

A percent of sales/covers will go to the KFB of Grand Rapids. [Found on GRNow.com under Feb 17.]

SAZERAC LOUNGE

1418 PLAINFIELD

GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49505

[email protected]

616-451-0010

Monday Feb 19: Technically, this event is "Lundi Gras" because it's held the day before Fat Tuesday. GRCC Alumni Assn dinner, costume competition. King Cake! http://web.grcc.cc.mi.us/Pr/Alumni/2006/mardigras07.pdf

Edited by Veloise

The Wyoming Park Theater Company Proudly Presents...

"It's most ambitious project ever." - The Grand Rapids Press (boo for only 14-day archives)

post-8564-1170762181_thumb.jpg

WHAT: Presenting Andrew Lloyd Webber's timeless classic hit-Broadway musical CATS. The Wyoming Park Theater Company is among the very first few high schools in the nation to stage CATS, and the first ever in the state of Michigan. Join the Wyoming community and experience Webber's extraordinary music set to T.S. Eliot's famous Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats.

The Wyoming Park Theater Company is known for staging extravagant productions. Last season's A Christmas Carol production was a huge success, and theater director Jeremy Schnotala is excited to pick up the rights for this unique musical.

WHERE: The Dan Heitzleman Fine Arts Center at Wyoming Park High School, 2125 Wrenwood Ave., Wyoming, MI 49509

HOW MUCH: $8 per person (considering it's a Broadway-class commercial, that's a very nice price). Tickets are available at the auditorium box office on show nights or by calling (616) 530-7560 ext. 2349.

WHEN: March 7, 8, 9, & 10 - 7:00pm-10pm

More Mardi Gras events king_cake.jpgKing Cake

Sat, Feb 17: St Alphonsus Mardi Gras Auction - Tickets are available! Auction tickets are $25 each and include bid paddle, dinner and beverages. Get a group of ten friends together and reserve a table. Tickets may be purchased at the rectory or school office. Event time not shown on their website. (Between Lafayette & Plainfield just off Leonard)

Tues Feb 20: Douglas MG parade. Outside! In the dark! On neighborhood streets! Family-friendly small-town parade, starts 7 pm. Segues to indoor partying in Saugatuck. www.saugatuck.com

ETA: Josh has offered up a whole page of Fat Tuesday seasonal events:

http://www.grnow.com/wikibar/index.php?tit...e_to_Mardi_Gras

Edited by Veloise

Gardener's seed swap and potluck@ Hillcrest School

GRAND RAPIDS AREA GARDENERS SEED SWAP AND POTLUCK

Date: Saturday February 24, 2007

Time: 11AM - 1PM

Location: Hillcrest School, 1415 Lyon St. NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503 (Located across from Hillcrest Community Garden)

Cost: FREE with something to pass

Edited by MAU

Lighthouse Communities is celebrating our 5 year anniversary.

March 1, 2007

6:30 pm - 9:30 pm

Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts

41 Sheldon Blvd SE

Grand Rapids, MI

A film retrospective by Plastic Sons Productions will highlight Lighthouse's accomplishments

The night will be charmed by live jazz music provided by the Silver Knights Jazz Ensemble

Chef Tommy Fitzgerald will delight you with his special culinary offerings

You will enjoy varied beer, wine, & champagne provided by Art of the Table

A silent auction of unique items and packages will be held throughout the night

Also on display will be "Life in My Neighborhood!" a photo journal done by neighborhood youth.

All photos will be auctioned off at the end of the evening.

Tickets are $50 and available at the door.

Last Reminder on the ICSC Alliance progarm scheduled for next week

From the event brochure.

This Alliance Program is designed for the members of the Public and Private Sector to discuss development issues, to explore how public/private partnerships can work together, to synthesize the needs of the community while maintaining the interests of private investment strategies, and to have the opportunity to network and forge new relationships.

Speaking or leading Round Tables will be Kenneth A. Nacci, Sam Cummings, Jon Rooks, Denny Sturtevant, Greg Northrup, and Scott Wierda, among others.

Last Reminder on the ICSC Alliance progarm scheduled for next week

From the event brochure.

This Alliance Program is designed for the members of the Public and Private Sector to discuss development issues, to explore how public/private partnerships can work together, to synthesize the needs of the community while maintaining the interests of private investment strategies, and to have the opportunity to network and forge new relationships.

Speaking or leading Round Tables will be Kenneth A. Nacci, Sam Cummings, Jon Rooks, Denny Sturtevant, Greg Northrup, and Scott Wierda, among others.

You got the who and why, now we need the when and where!

[writes press releases]

• 2 weeks later...

Not much has been posted here lateley. I'll be in GR tomorow through Monday. What's going on this weekend?

Women's Expo at DVP Friday-Sunday. (Could be a good place to pick up grrrls.)

Square dance at the Georgetown Grange, 7-10 pm Sat night.

Oklahoma! at the Civic. (Just go.)

Got tuba? Midwest regional low brass event at WMU in K'zoo.

Check out Josh's excellent grnow.com listings for a wider variety than my own calendar!

Not much has been posted here lateley. I'll be in GR tomorow through Monday. What's going on this weekend?

GRNow always keeps a pretty comprehensive lists of upcoming events with links.

http://events.grnow.com/events/

The Meijer Gardens has the Butterflies are Blooming, which we're probably going to do this weekend. They also have the work of Patrick Dougherty going on right now. It's supposed to warm up a bit this weekend (no not Florida warm), but you might be able to get out into the gardens and stroll around.