Events Kiosk

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The businesses in East Hills are having a "Witches Night Out" for adults only. Witches and warlocks are invited to attend. There will be a costume contest amongst other fun activities to be had by all. It's Thurdsay, October 25 from 5-10.

It's gonna be a lively evening round here! From 5 to 8 PM that same evening, the businesses on the south side of Wealthy between Eastern and Charles are having an event. (Literary Life Bookstore & More, Inc., Wealthy at Charles and Kitchen Design Studio). See the post two back for more information.

"Super Happy Funtime Burlesque" show at the Wealthy Saturday night. Supposed to have the full End Time Orchestra there. (My recon trip is to determine if/how much low brass they need.)

Another low brass player??? Most excellent! I play euph. You? (Headed to Ann Arbor tonight for Band-O-Rama, in fact...watching this time, though...MMB performing days are done...)

"Super Happy Funtime Burlesque" show at the Wealthy Saturday night. Supposed to have the full End Time Orchestra there. (My recon trip is to determine if/how much low brass they need.)

Hey, this was a hoot.

Maintained an open mind about the stripping. It was amusing and playful. ETA: there was a set of guys in jumpsuits who took it almost all off, too.

Some of the skits were just silly, and a couple of 'em featured cheap jokes (guy praying, "let me feel SAFE," then down crashes one on top of him). One of the Civic's psychotics from "Cuckoo's Nest" was a Ghostbuster. The double-bladed axe was getting old after a while (might have just been a Halloween thing).

The music was good. I would have done more with the instrumentalists (perhaps that will happen in the future). Pretty cool to see a stage full of zonbies dancing to "Thriller." Some really good costumes (notably the Bellevue hospital gown).

A euphonium appeared as a prop, and Corey (Mr Happy Pants) went on about how he'd been practicing his new act, working real hard on something new, yadda yadda. BUT THEY DIDN'T PLAY IT! In fact it was knocked over by a zombie...ouch.

Well worth the $10, and kept me off the highways (there was a contra dance in Lansing that I might have gone to).

ETA: There's a reprise at UICA this Saturday. (And I have a contra dance booking, so I can't accept the proffered invite!!)

Edited by Veloise

• 2 weeks later...

Subject: Speaker on Green Buildings

3:30 pm Tuesday November 6, 2007

Calvin College - Science Building SB110

Jordan Hoogendam (Calvin Alum, Engineering 2004), a Green Building

Consultant in Ontario,Canada, will present on LEED Certification and

metrics for success, as well as some of the perceived barriers to the

adoption of green building practices. This presentation will draw on

Hoogendam's experiences, and will include specific examples of green

schools and institutions of higher learning that have adopted LEED

standards. An overview of the green building industry

will be given, with a focus on its growth and on opportunities for

employment in "green collar" jobs. This presentation will also

highlight opportunities for colleges and universities to embrace the

green revolution and to prepare their graduates to excel in this

quickly emerging marketplace.

Seminar Sponsored by Calvin Engineering & Physics Departments

A map of Calvin's campus can be found here.

I would recommend parking in either the FAC lot, or in the South West lot. If you get lost (which is very possible on Calvin's campus) feel free to ask students where to go! Hope some of you can make it!

• 3 weeks later...

Wyoming Park Theater Company is excited to announce this year’s production: I Never Saw Another Butterfly, the moving story about the children in the Terezin Concentration camp told through one child survivor, Raja Englanderova. The cast and crew of the Wyoming Park Theater Company have been working for weeks, researching the time period, studying their characters, and learning what life was like as Jewish child in WWII. Along with preparing the show, the theater company has decided to sponsor PARA (Programs Assisting Refugee Acculturation), a local organization that helps refugees who are experiencing holocausts in our world today. Not only have we sponsored one dollar of every ticket sold, but we are also accepting ten dollar butterfly donations on their behalf.

Tickets are $7 each and are available at the door at by calling the drama office at (616) 530-7560 ext. 2367.

The Dan Heitzleman Fine Arts Center @ Wyoming Park High School, 2125 Wrenwood SW, Wyoming, MI 49509.

As a special addition to the short play we are presenting, Martin Lowenberg, a Holocaust survivor, will share his personal experience after the show on Thursday and Saturday evening.

You may have seen our posters floating around town:

2059793860_df702469d8.jpg

Edited by Timize

The Downtown Muskegon Holiday Heritage Home Tour is continuing into its third year after drawing nearly 1000 visitors over its initial two years. The tour was begun by Nelson Neighborhood Improvement Association with the goal of promoting downtown living and making West Michigan residents aware of the unique living opportunities available downtown Muskegon. This year

Doing more publicity this year:

pict0036.jpg

Heard the "T" word spoken on WYCE. And then the "e" word. Turned up the volume. Why, that's my press release! And then I spent part of Saturday morning in the studio with the Barnaby and Gonzo show. Barnaby played the sousaphone...well, he tried.

Doing more publicity this year:

Heard the "T" word spoken on WYCE. And then the "e" word. Turned up the volume. Why, that's my press release! And then I spent part of Saturday morning in the studio with the Barnaby and Gonzo show. Barnaby played the sousaphone...well, he tried.

Just this afternoon I dropped off my euph for a little polish and tune-up, in anticipation. :whistling:

Will do. The concert is free for the audience, correct?

Yep, and following us comes the GRCC ensembles (attired in basic boring black but playing lots of different instruments). Almost a collage concert, perfect for those with ADHD.

ETA: Got the attention of the Press. Sinks never submits anything smaller than a half page, and he's arranged for a photo op with me and my new best buddies in the Salvation Army band.

ETA: sneak preview http://blog.mlive.com/soundcheck/

Edited by Veloise

From this week's Word on the Street:

Friday night is the Urban Lights event on the Avenue for the Arts. This event is super cool because it features the live/work space artists along with the businesses and I know a few artists are going to make light instillations along the street. I wanted to pass along all of the highlights so you could plan your night accordingly. If you have never been to any of our events you can be sure to pick up a map at any of the participating businesses including Scavenger Hunt Clothing (117 S. Division), Sanctuary Folk Art (140 S. Division), Space Craft (125 S. Division), or Calvin’s Gallery at 106 S. Division. Everything is in a 3-4 block area so dress warm because it is more fun to walk. Many spaces have wine and munchies, there is sure to be a ton of new artwork and since it is the holiday season there are lots of great places to pick up a gift for those with distinctive style who love the home grown Grand Rapids creativity.

Urban Institute of Contemporary Art- Gallery Winter exhibitions, featuring artwork by Lora Fosberg (Chicago), Adrienne Outlaw (Nashville), The Moving Crew (collaboration), Ann Chuchvara (Traverse City), Mary Gaynier (Toledo), and Distill (collaboration).

Meet-and-greet these national regional and local artists and join in for a tour of their work. Enjoy a selection of fine hors d'oeuvres and beverages or check out the UICA's latest film program addition “I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With”. For more information visit www.uica.org Located at 41 Sheldon Blvd, open until 10pm.

Temporary Gallery- Grand Valley State University School of Communications students present "Haven't forgotten you one bit . . . " An installation exploring the juxtaposition of Grand Rapids past incorporating old photos and postcards to the current GR using new photographic images in color of the Heartside Downtown area. Collaboration with photographers Kate Brown, Danielle Rolls, Ben DeHaan, Malin Towne, Phillip Meade, Hollyn Johnson, Jen Hineline and Victoria Veenstra. Supported by the Dwelling Place, Located at 111 S. Division.

Temporary Gallery- Kendall College of Art and Design Students. Located at 111 S. Division, open until 11pm.

The DAAC-Gallery/Music Venue- Featuring the work of Kendall College of Art and Design students. Located at 115 S. Division, open until 11pm.

Scavenger Hunt- Local Business- Stop in for the best in holiday dress! Located at 117 S. Division, extended business hours until 10pm!

Vertigo Music- Local Business - CD’s Records. Located at 129 S. Division, extended business hours until 10pm!

The Euclid- Coffee Shop- Espresso, lattes and wireless, Stop in for a coffee drink. Located at 133 S. Division, open until 12:00 am.

Skelletones- Music Venue- (entrance next to Euclid) Live music featuring, “Charge Dagon”, ”Knowlyfe”, “Beyond All Reckoning” and “Burn The Sky” Located at 133 S. Division, cover charge $7

All City Kicks– The coolest in fashions for the hip, including both clothing and shoes. Located at 139 S. Division, extended business hours until 9pm!

(106) Calvin College Department of Art and Art History Gallery Ground floor- Featuring work from the New York Center for Art and Media Studies (NYCAMS) a one semester undergraduate art education program run by Bethel University. Artists featured include Gloria Armieda, Jameson Bast, Jeremy Coleman, Emma Craig, Craig Hoeksma, Bethany Kemp, Benjamin MacAdam, Jennifer Mills, Alexa Reents, Jennifer Romaniszak, and Reid Strelow. Located at 106 S. Division.

Glass Elevator entrance, 106 S. Division- Artist/Live Work Spaces First Floor Unit #112- New photos and paintings by local artists Giovanni, Amy Laport and Rachel Rieffel, open until 11pm.

Glass Elevator entrance, 106 S Division- Artist/Live Work Spaces Second Floor Unit #214– Fay Nielsen and Brandy Krause invite you to enjoy fashions, sculpture and art for sale! Open until 11pm.

Glass Elevator entrance, 106 S Division- Artist/Live Work Spaces Second Floor Unit #217- Derrick Hollowell, art for sale and great music! Open until 11pm.

Glass Elevator entrance, 106 S Division- Artist/Live Work Spaces Second Floor Unit #216- Fouad Catrib hosts “ALLDEBTSAREPAID” A group show featuring an installation by Burnboy Studio (Chris Apap, Robert Christensen, Michael Ingold, Kertis Lytle, Kevin Knipstein and Josh Stauffer) as well as individual work by each artist. Open until 11pm.

Glass Elevator entrance, 106 S Division- Artist/Live Work Spaces Third Floor Unit #312– Open house and photos by Amber Woolsey. Open until 11pm.

Foodsmith Catering and Caf

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, and following us comes the GRCC ensembles (attired in basic boring black but playing lots of different instruments). Almost a collage concert, perfect for those with ADHD.

ETA: Got the attention of the Press. Sinks never submits anything smaller than a half page, and he's arranged for a photo op with me and my new best buddies in the Salvation Army band.

ETA: sneak preview http://blog.mlive.com/soundcheck/

There was a nice write up in the GR Press on Sunday about the Tuba Christmas concert. Gotta love our fellow UPers being in print! I could easily that Veloise charm and humor in the article!

There was a nice write up in the GR Press on Sunday about the Tuba Christmas concert. Gotta love our fellow UPers being in print! I could easily that Veloise charm and humor in the article!

Left on the cutting room floor: Sinks and a photog came to the SA Band practice, but they shot the wrong instruments! (Alto horns, rather than baritones.) Also he did the basic demographic query, and for a moment was drawing a parallel between my marital status and the low brass thing. I said there's no connection. None. What So Ever.

I want to know where he found the tuba he's posing with on page 1E...

Sailor played the concert (wearing the hood from her cap & gown), and in the audience were Montague and Fotoman (perhaps more).

Edited by Veloise

Also he did the basic demographic query, and for a moment was drawing a parallel between my marital status and the low brass thing. I said there's no connection. None. What So Ever.

Another glowing example of "investigative" reporting by our local rag... even Tuba Christmas isn't immune to folks looking for "dirt"... (rolling my eyes)

"I laughed, I cried. It was better than Cats."

Seriously, we didn't know what to expect, but the presentation was

light and fun and we will make it a part of our holiday celebrations

in the coming years.

Thanks for the heads-up on the event, Veloise. As someone who's

stopped reading the GR fishwrap, I might easily have missed the

tuba event of the season.

John

Same time, same station for '08.

More pics here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gr-tubachristmas/details.htm

along with this year's video, eventually.

Thanks again for organizing that, Veloise! And an extra special thanks for the shout-out about my graduation; my family got a big kick out of that. It was tough not to go to the grad ceremony (I'm a newly-minted MLIS...yeah, a librarian who plays low brass...dig me :P ), but, I can say to those who had fun watching TUBACHRISTMAS that it was even more fun playing! I had a blast. I will most certainly be there next year, with bells on. And maybe a Santa hat.

Edited by Sailor

Thanks again for organizing that, Veloise! And an extra special thanks for the shout-out about my graduation; my family got a big kick out of that. It was tough not to go to the grad ceremony (I'm a newly-minted MLIS...yeah, a librarian who plays low brass...dig me :P ), but, I can say to those who had fun watching TUBACHRISTMAS that it was even more fun playing! I had a blast. I will most certainly be there next year, with bells on. And maybe a Santa hat.

Heh heh. Thanks.

Here's the video. (Give it a few minutes to get organized, perhaps 12:30 am for you night owls.)

http://www.ifilm.com/profile/veloise/video/2925959

Next year I will hand my vidcam off with the MACRO setting taped shut! It has this difficult tendency to go into close-up mode at inopportune (hah!) times. Fortunately Fotoman loaded me up with those beautiful stills...that and my ornament collection and a little Ken Burns...

Edited by Veloise

• 2 weeks later...

From my local do-gooder...

Saturday, January 5th

Wealthy Street Theater

Doors open at 6pm

Shows start at 7pm

Tickets $10

*Hawks and Owls

*Rachel Davis

*Seth Bernard and Daisy May

There'll be Speakers on important Water Issues before and between the

bands, tables with info on Water Quality issues, there'll be beer and

wine for sale.

Don't know much about the first two performers, but Seth and Daisy are always charmers. Proceeds go to the local Clean Water Action chapter.

From my local do-gooder...

Saturday, January 5th

Wealthy Street Theater

Doors open at 6pm

Shows start at 7pm

Tickets $10

*Hawks and Owls

*Rachel Davis

*Seth Bernard and Daisy May

There'll be Speakers on important Water Issues before and between the

bands, tables with info on Water Quality issues, there'll be beer and

wine for sale.

Don't know much about the first two performers, but Seth and Daisy are always charmers. Proceeds go to the local Clean Water Action chapter.

Well I don