River District

richyb83

I'm stoked about this!!! After posting yesterday's bad news about retail development coming to a halt...THIS pops back up in the news! :shades: The River District will be unlike what most of BR is used to; if all goes well you won't be able to recognize the area with the transformation that could take place over the next few years! I'm guessing that the propsed RiverHouse project will weave into the urban fabric of the RiverDistrict!

Can't wait to see some site plans & renderings!

River District-Nicholson mixed-use project-starting to come together

The team behind the mixed-use development planned for Nicholson Drive between LSU and downtown should be ready to announce project details by the end of this year or the first quarter of 2010, Stephen Keller says. Keller, who developed Towne Center at Cedar Lodge, is part of the development team along with Moreno Properties, a Lafayette group headed up by oilman Mike Moreno. Over the past year or so, Moreno purchased about 20 acres along Nicholson to assemble the development. The project is currently known as River District, Keller says. Steve Oubre, the Lafayette architect who has designed many TND projects in south Louisiana, did the original master plan and remains involved in the project. River District will include multi-family housing, including loft-style apartments, along with some retail and office space, Keller says. He expects the project to draw young professionals and empty-nesters.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes indeed LT! This is a step in the right direction..the Nicholson corridor is about to finally be transformed!

Construction on River District set to start in January

Construction on the first phase of River District, a 22-acre development along Nicholson Drive between downtown and LSU, is set to start in January. David Trusty of Gully, Phelps McKey Real Estate, who helped assemble the project, says construction should begin on a 400-unit apartment complex. "It will be a loft type thing," Trusty says. The rental units will pave the way for future phases, which could include a grocery store, hotel and office space. Stephen Keller, who did the Towne Center at Cedar Lodge, and Michael Moreno, a Lafayette oilman, is developing River District. Demolition of homes to make way for River District should begin at the end of the month, Trusty says. The project hopes to attract young professionals and LSU employees and faculty, Trusty says.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/rea...-weekly/latest/

Ive got some interesting news about this project. I dont want to say to much, as it isnt my place, but, the architecture of this development could be quite contemporary. I over heard about two weeks ago that the developer could be switching architects. If we get a conformation of this, maybe from the media, then i would be more then happy to share what i know.

Still though, I really hope the development has more of a contemporary flavor in favor over the "perkins rowe" style. Although judging my the construction timeline, i find it hard that they will in fact switch to another designer.

Yes indeed LT! This is a step in the right direction..the Nicholson corridor is about to finally be transformed!

Construction on River District set to start in January

Construction on the first phase of River District, a 22-acre development along Nicholson Drive between downtown and LSU, is set to start in January. David Trusty of Gully, Phelps McKey Real Estate, who helped assemble the project, says construction should begin on a 400-unit apartment complex. "It will be a loft type thing," Trusty says. The rental units will pave the way for future phases, which could include a grocery store, hotel and office space. Stephen Keller, who did the Towne Center at Cedar Lodge, and Michael Moreno, a Lafayette oilman, is developing River District. Demolition of homes to make way for River District should begin at the end of the month, Trusty says. The project hopes to attract young professionals and LSU employees and faculty, Trusty says.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/rea...-weekly/latest/

Glad that it's including residential of some kind.

400 unit apartment complex is impressive, and in this location, I'm happy with anything as long as it isn't one of those standard gated entry/giant parking lot/assortment of 3 and 4 story buildings. Those things have been popping up everywhere, and I'm confident than in less than 30 years, many will turn into crime ridden eyesores.

It doesn't sound like this will be the normal type of development, which is a good thing. Layout is key...I can't wait to see a plot plan. Hopefully it's not set too far back from the road and at least tries to enhance the character of the neighborhood. Mixed uses are pretty easy to screw up, though...

You guys know how picky I am. I'm only happy if it's perfect in every way.

Edited by cajun

Set backs for this should be up close to the street (like Fieldhouse condo's & Victory Commons) with parking in the back; that should go for all the new development along Nicholson btwn LSU & Downtowqn from now on; since it's now designated as an Urban Overlay District; this should be very nice and give a sense of place!

• 2 weeks later...

Demolition set to start next week for River District

The first phase of construction for the River District mixed-use development on Nicholson Drive is set to begin early next week. Crews from Block Builders will be out to demolish 11 houses and one townhome. River District will take up about 20 acres between downtown and LSU. The details of River District will be announced by the end of the year, but the mixed-use development is expected to include loft style apartments, retail and office space, says Jason E. Keller of Block Builders. "While details of how this project will ultimately look are still being finalized, we

Is the area the river district set to be built on the stretch of Nicholson from the Red Stick Lofts south to W. McKinley? Most of those house are empty and have been empty for quite some time.

Ya they've been empty since the city rezoned the land and the developer came in a year ago and bought up the houses. A developer, not sure if its related, also bought the houses on the opposite side of the street and paid over full price for them, he bought out one of my friends.

Ya they've been empty since the city rezoned the land and the developer came in a year ago and bought up the houses. A developer, not sure if its related, also bought the houses on the opposite side of the street and paid over full price for them, he bought out one of my friends.

The houses south of Magnolia Mound?

The fact that the developers have purchased everything in that stretch of Nicholson should eliminate the vocal opposition.

I don't think they'd have gotten much anyways...and to other citizens of Baton Rouge- they'll appreciate the new investment.

Hopefully they can keep the tree canopy and maybe we can get some road improvements out of this as well. That section of Nicholson could use some work.

• 2 weeks later...

More on the River District....4-story loft living should not get any opposition for the surrounding neighborhood

Development planned between downtown, LSU

Baton Rouge-based Block Builders LLC is starting demolition of 11 homes and one townhome on Nicholson Drive to make way for a mixed-use development called River District that links downtown and LSU.

• 8 months later...

Anxious to see this development transform the vital-link between Downtown & LSU...lots of support from different groups. They don't seem to be in any rush...want to make sure it gets done right.

Speculative development

The oak-lined portion of Nicholson Drive that leads from the north to the gates of LSU is now considered one of the most critical developments to the future of Baton Rouge and its largest university. This project and others along the boulevard are widely viewed as imperative to creating a thriving corridor along Nicholson Drive, establishing a vital link between two of Baton Rouge’s most important economic drivers—LSU and downtown. Some of Baton Rouge’s biggest names in real estate-—including Mike Wampold and Donnie Jarreau—also are acquiring property there.

“It’s a tremendous opportunity,” says John Fregonese of Fregonese Associates, a Portland, Ore.-based land-use planning firm that is producing a comprehensive master plan for Baton Rouge. “The two biggest concentrated destinations in Baton Rouge are downtown and LSU. The area between is an area situated between two strong magnets, so any development will be able to draw from both.”

Bulldozers have already made way for the project, demolishing some 37 homes around Magnolia Mound Plantation. Otherwise, Moreno’s project largely remains a mystery

All that is known is that the 30-acre development will target young professionals and LSU employees and faculty with multi-family residences, retail, and possibly a grocery store, hotel and office space. In a March 2008 interview, Lafayette architect Steve Oubre said it would be a “smart-growth, new urbanist community” but stopped short of calling it a traditional neighborhood development.

“The development itself is of such scale that it’s one of those catalytic projects that will transform that corridor and give it a new face,” DiResto says. “We were pleased that early on they saw the significance of the historical Magnolia Mound and the canopy of trees along Nicholson Drive, and made sure that was incorporated into it.”

A separate study by Zimmerman/Volk Associates revealed a potential market demand of more than 1,620 new multi-family units—for rent and for sale—at the site. CCR also identified markets for grocery, pharmacy, casual and family-style dining, professional offices, business services and an interconnected entertainment district featuring a range of restaurants, bars and recreational uses. Hunt recommends a minimum of 2 million square feet of development, contained in two- to four-story buildings.

Moreno’s development could also go a long way toward eliminating blight in what is known as Old South Baton Rouge. Writes Hunt: “The scale of development at the subject site under the current development proposal will offset the conditions of blight in the immediately surrounding neighborhoods of south Baton Rouge and along Nicholson Drive from Magnolia Mound Plantation south to the new Fieldhouse condominium development just outside the entrance of LSU.”

Additionally, the dismantling of a sewer treatment plant will give Moreno’s property access to the Mississippi River.

Those familiar with the project also say Baton Rouge engineering firm ABMB has done a study concluding that mass transit could be a viable component along the corridor. Fregonese Associates is doing its own transit modeling study as well. Fregonese notes that walkability will be key to any good development along the Nicholson corridor. “LSU is a huge traffic generator, and if you want there to be less traffic, putting people where they can walk, or bike or take transit to work or school is key to that.”

CCR recommends Moreno’s development be introduced in 2010 and estimates the value of the land could reach $40 per square foot. “The increase in values will still provide the project an advantageous market position when compared to other existing and planned development sites of similar scale in Baton Rouge,” Hunt says. “None of the other sites benefit from the location along the important corridor linking downtown and LSU.”

Jarreau, a real-estate executive who himself owns property along the corridor, predicts the Nicholson corridor will be one of the first areas where speculative development will return in Baton Rouge. Given market conditions, however, he doesn’t expect to see activity until 2011

*Lengthy article...

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2010/jun/28/speculative-development-rlet1/

newsnicholsondriveaeria.jpg

Thanks yall! Nice find cajun!

That's from way back in 06'...that's the Neighborhood Strategic Visionary Plan for Old South Baton Rouge. Yes, looks like the River District would tie into this.

Only wish the Old City Dock was put back to use; it seemed to fall thru with the minor league baseball stadium proposal...Brickyard Landing consisting of Festival Marketplace; ampitheatre; outlet retail shops; residential...and MY proposal of a "Red Stick" observation tower! Guess I can dream.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting...in time for football season??

Developers plan to build concert venue on Nicholson site

With plans for the River District mixed-use development progressing slowly, the owners of the property along Nicholson Drive want to turn it into a temporary venue for outdoor concerts. Moreno Properties of Lafayette wants to turn the nearly 20-acre site into a music venue, with room for 2,000 to 6,000 people. Plans for the Magnolia Pavilion have been filed with the city-parish and will go before the Planning Commission next month. The first concert would be held Sept. 24, the Friday before the LSU-West Virginia football game. Magnolia says it wants to hold the concerts to attract people in town for Tiger games. While there are plans for 12 concerts—dates for eight have been scheduled—they're generally all on the Friday before an LSU game. The concerts would be held from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Along with a erecting a temporary stage, the venue would have spaces set aside for sales of food, alcohol and concert merchandise; and nearly 10 acres would be allotted to patron parking. Plans are to hold the concerts at the site for three-to-five years. Moreno began assembling the property centered across from Magnolia Mound Plantation about three years ago and plans to turn it into a mixed-use development with residential, commercial and civic space.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/