River District

richyb83

I was too blinded by the shock of this announcement to even think of the traffic impact that many jobs will have on that area. 

Its giving me nightmares already. 

Ideas?

Maybe they decide to live in the area rather than 10+ miles out. That second bridge would be ideal.

I wonder if the buildings will be in the Italianate LSU style?

I would hope architectural styles would be mixed. Blending of old and new is best, IMO.

I was too blinded by the shock of this announcement to even think of the traffic impact that many jobs will have on that area. Its giving me nightmares already. Ideas?
If the east/west roads remain two lanes, what do you all think about having one of these eguduhe9.jpg at either the base of the I-10 off ramp for Nicholson or where the "Main Street" of the Water Campus hits Nicholson? I'm disappointed that they are making two major intersections so close together, one for the campus and one for the off ramp. There will probably be two separate stop lights.

...and since everybody, including me, wants Nicholson to be walker friendly road, I always thought it would safe to make an LSU Detour for trucks around campus. Send them to River Road and let them take Skip Bertman or Gourrier back to Hwy 30.

LSU would never stand for that. They don't want 18 wheelers running thru campus.

If the east/west roads remain two lanes, what do you all think about having one of theseeguduhe9.jpgat either the base of the I-10 off ramp for Nicholson or where the "Main Street" of the Water Campus hits Nicholson? I'm disappointed that they are making two major intersections so close together, one for the campus and one for the off ramp. There will probably be two separate stop lights.

Plans call for a trolley or street car connecting LSU to downtown or river center. That design wouldn't work unless they did a roundabout design like Lee Circle in New Orleans. That's too crazy for BR planners.

If the east/west roads remain two lanes, what do you all think about having one of these eguduhe9.jpg at either the base of the I-10 off ramp for Nicholson or where the "Main Street" of the Water Campus hits Nicholson? I'm disappointed that they are making two major intersections so close together, one for the campus and one for the off ramp. There will probably be two separate stop lights.

That would work well at Nicholson and Terrace as it is, "if" we were able to get trucks off of Nicholson. I'm not sure trucks exiting the bridge would be able to maneuver the roundabout effectively, particularly with the increase in vehicle traffic brought by the Water Campus. 

The rendering would work great if we could get a southern loop to bring trucks to the plants and points south. 

• 1 month later...

Nicholson warehouse purchased for high-end furniture outlet

The owners of Monochrome Contemporary Furniture have purchased an 18,500-square-foot warehouse at 1010 Nicholson Drive—formerly home to St. Vincent de Paul—for $600,000 or about $32.50 per square foot. Monochrome, which bought the building from Brickyard Properties LLC, will renovate it for a new location. The business sells high-end contemporary furniture and currently occupies space in the Southdowns Shopping Center on Perkins Road. Ryan Greene and Walt Ketchings with NAI/Latter & Blum Commercial Real Estate brokered the transaction. According to Greene, Monochrome will renovate about half the building for their furniture and interior design store and lease the remaining space. "They hope to get a restaurant for a portion of it, and with the announcement of the Water Campus and all of the other proposed development on Nicholson Drive, this seemed to be a good place to retrofit some good quality retail," Greene says. The renderings of the project show a large front entrance and walk-up area, taking advantage of the character and age of the building. This stretch of Nicholson Drive, between downtown and LSU, has new owners getting more and more excited about the possibility of gentrification, especially with the announcement of the Water Campus.

http://www.businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportPM&date=

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/8153390-123/nicholson-drive-warehouse-sold

Edited by richyb83

Front Door Architects normally does pretty high-end stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if they purchased this warehouse as an investment and plan to occupy the property until they flip it or build a true mixed-use building and in the mean time keep exterior renovations to a minimum.

But itsjustme3 brings up a valid point, does the state plan to relocate the Division of surplus Property and Department of Corrections Services that occupies most of that land? If that is the case, then the 18,000 SF warehouse is nearly all that would remain on the proposed site and not affect the design or layout at all.

The division of surplus is a large warehouse full of old crap (old desks, office equipment, etc.). That's not the problem. It'll be moved easily. The problem is has the state secured (or in the process of securing) the land near the water campus? It will take 10 years for the site to develop (if it does) and in the meantime stores are going to start populating around it. If this is such a amazing and important project do we really want pawn shops, liquor stores and pay day loan businesses buffering or within the property?

This could be a cool development and actually bring downtown across the I-10 barrier. This will be a good southern anchor. We need an eastern one now. :)

Where would pawn shops open? Rent is going to go up in that area. I'm more concerned with where the brewery will move....and disappointed that a car was was approved for Nicholson.

Edited by cajun

Where do you think pawn shops and liquor stores would pop up?

The point is tacky junky businesses are going to start popping up. Today it's a furniture store. Tomorrow a tattoo parlor. Then a Twin Peeks. The point I'm making is I hope the surrounding property has or is in the process of being purchased. You know, planning.

The point is tacky junky businesses are going to start popping up. Today it's a furniture store. Tomorrow a tattoo parlor. Then a Twin Peeks. The point I'm making is I hope the surrounding property has or is in the process of being purchased. You know, planning.

I'm sure it is happening. Things have been in the works for this area for a while...before the Water Campus proposal.

I think the renderings we've seen are just a conceptual plan. Only three buildings have funding at the moment.

Edited by cajun

Thanks for the replies yall :thumbsup:

Looking forward to this....

Plans for River District to be unveiled Monday

Plans for the River District, a proposed 40-acre mixed-use development along Nicholson Drive that has been in the works for six years, will be unveiled to the public at a community meeting Monday, giving neighborhood residents an opportunity to see renderings for the project before they are submitted to the Planning Commission in early February. Steve Oubre, the Lafayette architect on the project, who is working with developer Dalis Waguespack and her brother, Lafayette businessman Michael Moreno, has been finalizing plans over the past few weeks for the project. He met Tuesday with district Councilwoman Tara Wicker to bring her up to speed on the development, which, with its residential, retail and entertainment components, is expected to help the revitalization of the corridor connecting LSU to downtown. "There has been a lot of anticipation about this," says Wicker, who asked that the community meeting be called before plans are submitted to the Planning Commission. "I believe this will be a great opportunity to help the area." Oubre, best known for bringing the TND concept to Louisiana with River Ranch in Lafayette, won't divulge just yet what the plans entail, but Moreno has previously said it would include multifamily residences along with retail, office and civic space. The River District is one of several big projects planned for Nicholson Drive. In December, state and local officials unveiled plans for the Water Campus, a research park devoted to coastal studies. LSU also has plans for a 28-acre mixed-use development on Nicholson adjacent to its campus. Oubre intends to submit a concept plan to the Planning Commission by Feb. 6, the deadline for items that can be heard at the March meeting. Monday's community meeting will be held at 4 p.m. at the Dr. Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 East Washington St. —Stephanie Riegel

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportAM

This is going to be a big deal, and people in that area are going to be crying and screaming at the evil "g word" that this development will bring.

I'm not an elected official and I don't have a voting block that could be diluted with new people....so I'll go on record saying that this could have a massive positive impact on that area.

Edited by cajun

^ Gun violence??

Gentrification occurs when wealthier businesses and residents drive up real estate values and squeeze lower income residents out. It's mostly in reference to urban neighborhoods but it often occurs in rural areas as sprawl encroaches.

Gun violence? Do you think a bunch of yuppies and LSU students are going to be trolling the streets, looking for trouble or for Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Lattes?

:)

Edited by cajun