The Music Thread

GVLbikeNboard

Ok, this could be a fun place to share your favorite bands/musicians, talk about the local music scene, post who is playing Greenville and the Upstate (or nearby like Charlotte/Atlanta/Asheville/Charleston/etc), and just talk about music in general. Share videos on youtube, links to a band/musicians website or myspace, etc.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Record Store Day

-------------------------------------------------------

"RECORD STORE DAY PRESENTS: VINYL SATURDAY"

Next Up: SEPTEMBER 5, 2009

"Every once in a while, we like to have a little mini-party on a Saturday, and enjoy some lovely vinyl as party favors. Coming up on Saturday, September 5, we

BJ's is on Augusta. Years ago they were the ones who got "in trouble" for having the giant Mix a Lot butt on top of the store.

Horizon was listed not too long ago in email from the band the Supersuckers as one of their favorite stores in the US. Supersuckers play Handlebar every now and again (and are one of my favorite bands at the moment).

BJ's is on Augusta. Years ago they were the ones who got "in trouble" for having the giant Mix a Lot butt on top of the store.

Horizon was listed not too long ago in email from the band the Supersuckers as one of their favorite stores in the US. Supersuckers play Handlebar every now and again (and are one of my favorite bands at the moment).

The Avett Brothers will be playing North Charleston on Sep. 17th and Augusta on the 18th. I know it's a little far to drive if you've never heard them, but everybody I have ever taken has loved them. Within the last year they have signed with Columbia/American Records and have recorded an album with producer Rick Rubin (red hot chili peppers, beastie boys, johnny cash, dixie chicks, metallica, etc etc etc). That's due to be released Sep. 29th.

And a couple videos if anyone is interested:

I got to see this one in NYC! -

Three great videos here - http://www.laundromatinee.com/sessions/vid..._avett_brothers

And

a couple years ago, the place was packed and people were standing in the parking lot looking through the windows. I'm sure they won't be able to play there again...saw them at the Peace Center in November and it was sold out.

• 3 weeks later...

The Albino Skunk Bluegrass Festival is coming up! It's the weekend of October 16th, in Blue Ridge. The line-up looks good this year. I'm mostly excited about The Belleville Outfit and Holy Ghost Tent Revival. I have seen Belleville at the Bohemian a couple of times and they're really good...and I have heard great great great things about HGTR.

It's always fun seeing smaller bands...you never know where they'll be in a few years. I saw The Avett Brothers at Skunkfest in 2003 and look at them now...(read above post for info on them).

The Avett Brothers will be playing North Charleston on Sep. 17th and Augusta on the 18th. I know it's a little far to drive if you've never heard them, but everybody I have ever taken has loved them. Within the last year they have signed with Columbia/American Records and have recorded an album with producer Rick Rubin (red hot chili peppers, beastie boys, johnny cash, dixie chicks, metallica, etc etc etc). That's due to be released Sep.

Archived