Uptown Developments

Danmire

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the editorial. I don't know if making the area "urban" is really cost-effective, but making it more aesthetically attractive at least would help. I recall Haywood Mall and the jumble of strip centers being built, and it's always been an unplanned mess of cheap 80s sprawl that is looking increasing garish and unattractive. At least fix it up to be like SouthPark in Charlotte, which is pretty attractive (nice landscaping, generally good-quality buildings, etc.), and that would make me want to go there more. The mall itself hasn't been updated on the outside (with a few exceptions, such as the entrances) since 1980 and it is crying out for some stucco and a parking lot resurfacing, at least.

I agree with the editorial. I don't know if making the area "urban" is really cost-effective, but making it more aesthetically attractive at least would help. I recall Haywood Mall and the jumble of strip centers being built, and it's always been an unplanned mess of cheap 80s sprawl that is looking increasing garish and unattractive. At least fix it up to be like SouthPark in Charlotte, which is pretty attractive (nice landscaping, generally good-quality buildings, etc.), and that would make me want to go there more. The mall itself hasn't been updated on the outside (with a few exceptions, such as the entrances) since 1980 and it is crying out for some stucco and a parking lot resurfacing, at least.

I agree! The outside needs some serious help to me.

I want the area to become more urban. Cost effective or not, simply adding landscaping and having some updated looks on buildings is not going to ease traffic congestion when the area becomes more attractive. A better secondary road system to improve connectivity and make mass transit of any kind operable and building requirements of increased density and mixed usage are needed. It's not an over night kind of transformation that gives you instant gratification, but it's a more sustainable long term solution. Landscaping would be needed, but I'm not down for the easy way out.

I was on Haywood today and thought about this thread.

The area of Haywood across form the mall with the small red brick center, Don Pablo's, Barnes&Noble, etc. All the buildings are fairly tight and close to the road (especially since the widening). The trees have matured to a degree that a simple burying of the powerlines and putting the stoplights on arms would do wonders for this area. Such a simple thing, would make so much impact.

• 3 months later...

Greenville invests in Haywood Corridor

The City of Greenville and business leaders on Haywood Road are working together to turn around the shopping corridor. Plans are there to bury power lines, create green spaces, possibly get a facelift for Haywood Mall, creation of a "model" intersection, and brand the district as "Uptown". Uptown designations would be placed on the interstate signs, and a signage system similar to downtown's would be implemented. Plans include adding residential components, and its said to have the potential to become what Buckhead is to Atlanta according to the article. Discussions of light rail are even in the mix.

I think this is going to be the greatest thing for the City of Greenville since Max Heller's plans for a rebirth of downtown. This could be HUGE for Greenville! :thumbsup: The article is definitely worth a read. The image it paints of the area is really exciting.

I just read the article, and am very excited about these plans! :yahoo:

I am confident that the improvements to "Uptown" will progress in a very smart and efficient way, especially since the city is behind this.

As a side note, I think it is funny that this was going to be Midtown a few years ago, and the Point development at Woodruff was going to be Uptown. I'm glad they are going to have nice Uptown signage in the Haywood area (even on the interstates!) to give it a true sense of place. Excellent! :thumbsup:

I just read the article, and am very excited about these plans! :yahoo:

I am confident that the improvements to "Uptown" will progress in a very smart and efficient way, especially since the city is behind this.

As a side note, I think it is funny that this was going to be Midtown a few years ago, and the Point development at Woodruff was going to be Uptown. I'm glad they are going to have nice Uptown signage in the Haywood area (even on the interstates!) to give it a true sense of place. Excellent! :thumbsup:

Definitely. I think the City is going about this in all the RIGHT ways. I especially look forward to the changes to the Haywood/Woods Lake intersection and the new urban requirements. The housing plans are also very encouraging! I'm pretty stoked.

Definitely a great plan for the area. I have the master plan for this. Proposed will be five districts in Uptown: Highpoint, Medical, Market, Professional, and Gateway. Highpoint will stretch from Hilton on the west to the Post Office on the east and be bordered by I-385 to the south and Pelham Road to the north. Medical will be where St. Francis and Greenville Hospital System are located. Market will be the Haywood Mall/Barnes and Noble area. Professional will be where Fluor is located and where Crescent Place is slated to be built in the future. Gateway will stretch from the airport on the west to the edge of Fluor campus on the east and be bordered by Palmetto Bank to the south and Chili's to the north.

Greenville invests in Haywood Corridor

I think this is going to be the greatest thing for the City of Greenville since Max Heller's plans for a rebirth of downtown. This could be HUGE for Greenville! :thumbsup: The article is definitely worth a read. The image it paints of the area is really exciting.

Ironic since Heller's plans were in response to the flight of the retail stores like Belk's, Pennys and Sears, etc. to Haywood Mall and Before that Plesantburg Drive with Mcalister Square in fact for a long time most people refered to Pleasantburg Drive as 291 BYPASS i.e. bypassing downtown.

Agreed that the plans sound terrific.

Today's Greenville News article stated that the Haywood area has 1/3 of Greenville's retail sales. Do we have figures on how much downtown has?

I'd also hope that the plans include some way of making the Haywood area more visually appealing. SouthPark in Charlotte is aesthetically appealing, with attractive (enough) office and retail buildings, manicured landscaping and the like. I find the Haywood area- particularly the part between Laurens Road and the mall- to be a hodgepodge of cheap '80s sprawl, and anything to harmonize the architecture and make it look a little more 'elegant' would definitely help. I think that one factor in downtown's rebound was making Main Street visually appealing- it is much more attractive than it was in the '60s and '70s until Heller's renovations.

New construction would have to be faced with urban design guidelines, probably leading to a lot of demolition of strip centers. It's going to happen anyway if they're serious about adding residential nodes and pedestrian friendly street makeovers...

Any new development or redevelopment will happen by private developers not by the city. The city will do infrastructure and beautification projects to spur private development. Any private development will work with in the guidelines of the plan. The tricky part is to make sure the plan is not so restrictive that development and redevelopment is not profitable. Last thing you want to do is create a great plan that makes development so expensive that the area is avoided.

Most new development will come on undeveloped parcel's owned by the Timmons and Goldsmith Families. Another key area for redevelopment would be the parking at Haywood Mall along Haywood Rd. difficulty here is that this land is privately owned and leased to Simon for parking. If Simon could eventually maybe buy the land you could add further garage parking and then develop portions along Haywood Rd.

Also lots of people want the Mall to get an exterior renovation, one thing to remember is that the Anchors are the most visible and they are each owned by the store occupying them as well in some cases like sears the department store owns the parking as well.

I really thing it could be decades before we see strip mall torn down for redevelopment in this area. For the most part they still perform well. I think we could see redevelopment at some points with centers with high vacancy. Probably the KIMCO center would be first. It is the one that has Baby's R Us. That would be the first I could imagine being redeveloped but my guess is that could still be 10 years off.

Any new development or redevelopment will happen by public developers not by the city.

Did you think I was saying otherwise?

As a side note however, I'm sure the City will also probably work with developers in some public-private partnerships for key areas to spur investment and growth.

Is there a copy of the master plan online somewhere? I tried searching for one, but didn't see it...

Definitely a great plan for the area. I have the master plan for this. Proposed will be five districts in Uptown: Highpoint, Medical, Market, Professional, and Gateway. Highpoint will stretch from Hilton on the west to the Post Office on the east and be bordered by I-385 to the south and Pelham Road to the north. Medical will be where St. Francis and Greenville Hospital System are located. Market will be the Haywood Mall/Barnes and Noble area. Professional will be where Fluor is located and where Crescent Place is slated to be built in the future. Gateway will stretch from the airport on the west to the edge of Fluor campus on the east and be bordered by Palmetto Bank to the south and Chili's to the north.

Interesting.....

I like the districts within Uptown and all seem to make sense. From reading the part I bolded in your quote, looks like the plan will not take in all of Haywood, but just the "nicer" end. Looks like nothing on the Laurens end will be involved. I like that the city is going after a very tightly focused area, but seems all of Haywood should be included.

• 4 weeks later...

^ Great master plan.

I do not like how they want to brand the area as "Uptown Greenville." We have several additional areas that can and should be enhanced as uptowns, including Cherrydale. "Haywood Uptown District" or "Haywood Village/Forest/etc." makes the area more unique and recognizable. :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

Bids for power-line burial along Haywood Road go out on June 29th. More info here: http://www.greenvill...77UtilityAd.pdf

This is going to be such a great improvement for Haywood! I'm so glad Greenville is such a proactive city!

Shouldn't Church Street be waving goodbye to its power lines and poles soon (as well as welcoming its road diet)? :dontknow:

This is going to be such a great improvement for Haywood! I'm so glad Greenville is such a proactive city!

Shouldn't Church Street be waving goodbye to its power lines and poles soon (as well as welcoming its road diet)? dontknow.gif

Bids for the Church Street project go out on July 13th and Fairforest Way project on September 14th. Subject to change of course. Oh and new traffic lights on black mast poles have gone up on East North Street between Stone Avenue and Pleasantburg Drive. thumbsup.gif

Bids for the Church Street project go out on July 13th and Fairforest Way project on September 14th. Subject to change of course. Oh and new traffic lights on black mast poles have gone up on East North Street between Stone Avenue and Pleasantburg Drive. thumbsup.gif

Details, details, details! I love it! :thumbsup:

Archived