Atlanta's Highway Signage- Raising the Bar

architect77

First, allow me to start by saying that Atlanta is a truly magical place. It is in a different league from the rest of the South. My seven years in Atlanta began in 1989 just as they were finishing the widening of I-85 to five continuous lanes. Atlanta's huge new interstates exuded pure perfection in every way.

Soon however, the butchering began. Five wide luxurious lanes were sacrificed for six skinnier ones, and the skinny font made its debut. I don't like it personally, nor the trendy new clearview for that matter. Then after the "Jimmy Carter Blvd" overhead fell killing a motorist in the 1990's, GDOT evidently started doubting its cantilevering abilities, as evidenced by the elevated signage beside the road. (It looks cool in California for some reason).

As a NC native, I become more impressed everyday its highway signage, which includes overhead gantries on virtually all roads including city streets. Back when I lived in Atlanta, I never realized the absence of overhead structures even at interstate junctions.

This is not intended to be a "my state is better than your state" contest, however I would love to see Georgia return to the fat font and resume erecting elegant cantilevers.

gaped2.jpg

i-010_eb_exit_088_02.jpg

alamance.jpg

cary.jpg

-------------------------------------------

i-075_085_nb_exit_251_04.jpg

fatarrow.jpg

youngs.jpg

pleasant_hill_rd_nb_at_i-085_nb.jpg

outerbnx.jpg

wilming.jpg

15501.jpg

Oh, and I hate that these two signs, one with different typeface & the other just ugly, are among first impressions for visitors arriving from Hartsfield...

lang.jpg

abernath.jpg

I should get a life....

• 2 months later...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, you have a life and are interested in something besides watchin TV as evidenced by your "architect" description. I couldn't agree more about the signage thing. I thought *I* was the only one who noticed such things! They do need more advanced signage. Ever been to Washington area? Like maybe Northern Virginia on I-66? They have really advanced signage with those electronic signs at almost every exit relaying constant information. They also post time periods and other information to make clear the driving conditions. Atlanta, now being a huge metropolis of nearly 6 million, needs more advanced informative freeways. All in all I say you have a good point.

I agree about the interstate signage in GA. We do need to update them. I would like to see the cantilevers return, especially. The fonts don't really bother me, though.

Also, "Atlanta's huge new interstates exuded pure perfection in every way," might be grounds for a fight with some of the members in this forum, LOL (it's not a phrase one would expect to hear in an urban development forum), or maybe I'm just being a little snarky.

Also, long time, no see, Unifour! Welcome back!

I agree about the interstate signage in GA. We do need to update them. I would like to see the cantilevers return, especially. The fonts don't really bother me, though.

Also, "Atlanta's huge new interstates exuded pure perfection in every way," might be grounds for a fight with some of the members in this forum, LOL (it's not a phrase one would expect to hear in an urban development forum), or maybe I'm just being a little snarky.

Also, long time, no see, Unifour! Welcome back!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First, allow me to start by saying that Atlanta is a truly magical place. It is in a different league from the rest of the South. My seven years in Atlanta began in 1989 just as they were finishing the widening of I-85 to five continuous lanes. Atlanta's huge new interstates exuded pure perfection in every way.

Soon however, the butchering began. Five wide luxurious lanes were sacrificed for six skinnier ones, and the skinny font made its debut. I don't like it personally, nor the trendy new clearview for that matter. Then after the "Jimmy Carter Blvd" overhead fell killing a motorist in the 1990's, GDOT evidently started doubting its cantilevering abilities, as evidenced by the elevated signage beside the road. (It looks cool in California for some reason).

As a NC native, I become more impressed everyday its highway signage, which includes overhead gantries on virtually all roads including city streets. Back when I lived in Atlanta, I never realized the absence of overhead structures even at interstate junctions.

This is not intended to be a "my state is better than your state" contest, however I would love to see Georgia return to the fat font and resume erecting elegant cantilevers.

gaped2.jpg

i-010_eb_exit_088_02.jpg

alamance.jpg

cary.jpg

i-075_085_nb_exit_251_04.jpg

fatarrow.jpg

youngs.jpg

pleasant_hill_rd_nb_at_i-085_nb.jpg

outerbnx.jpg

wilming.jpg

15501.jpg

Oh, and I hate that these two signs, one with different typeface & the other just ugly, are among first impressions for visitors arriving from Hartsfield...

lang.jpg

abernath.jpg

I should get a life....

Interesting to find someone that thinks about this kind of stuff. Along that same line, I have always been amazed that the "worlds busiest airport" has such understated signage leading drivers off of I-85 to the terminals. It seems to me that Hartfield-Jackson should have its own unique and dynamic signage announcing ones arrival to one of the most important airports in the world rather than just the standard old GDOT green signs. For some reason, I can picture people driving in from out of town to go to the airport and completely missing the airport exit just because it dosen't stand out enough.

Interesting to find someone that thinks about this kind of stuff. Along that same line, I have always been amazed that the "worlds busiest airport" has such understated signage leading drivers off of I-85 to the terminals. It seems to me that Hartfield-Jackson should have its own unique and dynamic signage announcing ones arrival to one of the most important airports in the world rather than just the standard old GDOT green signs. For some reason, I can picture people driving in from out of town to go to the airport and completely missing the airport exit just because it dosen't stand out enough.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes, I agree that would be really super. But the city has worked very hard in it's streetscape improvement program, by buring utility lines, placing traffic lights on the mast arms, new street lamps, wider sidewalks, plants, benches, and trash recepticals among other things.

I think within the next five years, things are really going to look good in the city.

Archived