What's with Obama?

Charlotteman

"I will end don't ask/don't tell."

"The gay/lesbian community has no more fierce advocate."

These lines are in the President's dramatic speeches, but no where else. Only recently did the White House appoint Sen. Joe Lieberman as the "point man on don't ask/don't tell". Whatever in the hell that means....

Lotsa folks are becoming disillusioned very quickly.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wars without end. Obama orders a rather surprising escalation to the Afghanistan War, then later on flies to Scandinavia to accept the Nobel Peace Prize. To me, it looks like Obama is essentially following the militaristic McCain prescription for things.

The majority of the American people are against these wars without end. Why do the people allow them to continue? The American politicians continue to make the same mistakes over and over. Vietnam was so recent....it astonishes me how people have forgotten all about it. Vietnam Part 1 in the 1960s, and Vietnam Part 2 in the 2000s.

At least he did give a time when troops will begin to be withdrawn from the region. It's obvious he doesn't like the fact that we're over there, but he does have the responsibility to bring this war to a successful conclusion. It wasn't an easy decision on his part, that's for sure. I support him in it.

Wars without end. Obama orders a rather surprising escalation to the Afghanistan War, then later on flies to Scandinavia to accept the Nobel Peace Prize. To me, it looks like Obama is essentially following the militaristic McCain prescription for things.

The majority of the American people are against these wars without end. Why do the people allow them to continue? The American politicians continue to make the same mistakes over and over. Vietnam was so recent....it astonishes me how people have forgotten all about it. Vietnam Part 1 in the 1960s, and Vietnam Part 2 in the 2000s.

• 3 weeks later...

Obama campaigned on escalating the war in Afghanistan. He campaigned on it being the "right war". It amazes me how shocked people are in this regard when this is one campaign promise his is following 100% to the letter. I really wonder what people thought the were voting for last November.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well Obama appears to have completely flipped on the oil drilling issue, calling for opening up of a number of areas to drilling, including the VA and NC coastlines. Ironically enough, some Republicans are now AGAINST (note: John McCain is applauding the Obama move and Palin is criticizing it) it. Some Republicans argue that it will cost jobs, though in my opinion, they are just looking for an excuse to say NO. I also fail to see where it would cost jobs anyhow...cost them in November for blocking the creation of some jobs, maybe, but certainly not cost jobs. On the contrary, the governor of VA is supporting it because he says it will CREATE jobs in his state, not eliminate them. If this is to happen though, they really need to make sure the environmental impact is at an absolute minimum, not done in areas where it is the only area that some species of marine life live and I feel that drilling off the coasts of states should require royalty payments to those states, much like what is done in Alaska. The money could help on state environmental initiatives, schools, mass transit or other things that those states sorely need. I'm tired of being screwed as a taxpayer by the oil companies coming in to pump OUR (as in the American people) oil and us not seeing a dime of it. It is time for them to pay the piper if they want to drill.

^Indeed. My understanding is that Obama is hoping to leverage this concession to the Republicans in exchange for climate change legislation, but given the GOP's recent track record I certainly don't see them cooperating on that. If the Republicans are going to be such blatantly hypocritical obstructionists, then it is past time for Obama to start playing their game and use his majority to ram things through like Bush did for eight years.

As for the GOP, whatever happened to "drill baby drill?"

This is a smart move by Obama, politically and economically (although the economic benefits won't be felt for a few years). This move shows that he's more of a pragmatist than a strict ideologue, and if the Republicans are with him on it, it gives him some hope for a truly bipartisan effort for pending climate legislation--and he's going to need to have bipartisan support for other initiatives he hopes to pass in order to keep moderates and independents in play. If the Republicans object, he can very easily paint them as purely obstructionist, given their clear support for offshore drilling during the last campaign season. That will put a bad taste for Republicans in the mouths of independents. It's pretty much a win-win for him on this particular issue.

What's with Obama? hes getting old. I had to post this. look at the comparison in the two pictures. The first one was taken in 2008 the last one in 2010. It is true that presidents age 10 years while in office due to the pressures and stress.

barack-obama-hair-460x276.jpg

Here is another set of pictures that show what Obama will look like after about 10 years or so when he starts getting more wrinkles. Since he smokes he may look like this even sooner

obama_after_office.jpg

Here is one that shows what JFK would look like if he were alive today (age 93)

image_5464822.jpg

Archived