Thoughts about Northland

grock

Bad management drove the Goodwin out of business, blaming the Unions for it was just a convenient excuse. Unions don't create jobs, they create fair work environments...

That and I'm sure a mixture of other things... But lets face it beerbeer is right, Hartford is just not a business friendly city. Corruption, crime, and high taxes are driving people and businesses out. No point in sugar coating it, facts are facts.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they create fair work environments...

That was true of unions in 1930.

In 2010, they extort with the help of Democrats.

If not for my Union, I'd be making $10 and hour, if I was lucky to even have a job, so yes, they still protect workers from unfair work practices whether you like to admit it or not.

I'm convinced you guys are going to start turning every thread into a Rush Limbaugh-type rant. Oh well, this site was interesting while it lasted.

It has nothing to do with Limbaugh... I'm simply stating high taxes and corruption are driving the middle class and businesses away from Hartford and CT. There really is no rocket science to it. And for the record I am independent.

they create fair work environments...

That was true of unions in 1930.

In 2010, they extort with the help of Democrats.

Concurred...... And if those type of unions where still around, I would have no issues with them.

If not for my Union, I'd be making $10 and hour, if I was lucky to even have a job, so yes, they still protect workers from unfair work practices whether you like to admit it or not.

I have to agree with beerbeer.

If your company was going to pay you $10/hr, then that is what competitors would pay for your job. If not, your comapany would lose their workers to competition in a very short time. Unions have undoubetdly put more businesses out business than they have helped. With organizations like OSHA and minimum wage laws (they didnt exist when unions were conceived), unions aren't needed anymore. Today, they exist to serve themselves and the Democratic party. Unions are rife with corruption and have crippled the US automotive industry. The first company I worked for closed their CT location because the auto workers union refused concessions that would have allowed us to remain competitive and in business... instead EVERYONE lost their jobs.

After all... look at Eddie Perez and his relationships with unions.

The company makes a billion dollars a month, so yes, let's get rid of the Union so the company can make 1.01 billion and reduce the customer service to zero. As it is, the company is cutting so many corners that they have hamstrung the workforce, then blame it on the Union. What would you rather have, a veteran worker that has 15 years experience that knows his business inside and out or a recyclable 18yr old that just started yesterday trying to work up to imaginary metrics that cannot be obtained, in which case he'll be laid off in a year anyways? The problem is, companies have absolutely no problem abusing workers even with the existing rules, protocols, and laws. FMLA laws? bah, sue us, we have 50 lawyers to your one. Sick time? Come to work, you don't need sick time. unions still serve their purpose, are there corrupt Unions? Sure, just like there are corrupt companies. To say one is totally more at fault than the other is highly irresponsible.

The company makes a billion dollars a month, so yes, let's get rid of the Union so the company can make 1.01 billion and reduce the customer service to zero. As it is, the company is cutting so many corners that they have hamstrung the workforce, then blame it on the Union. What would you rather have, a veteran worker that has 15 years experience that knows his business inside and out or a recyclable 18yr old that just started yesterday trying to work up to imaginary metrics that cannot be obtained, in which case he'll be laid off in a year anyways? The problem is, companies have absolutely no problem abusing workers even with the existing rules, protocols, and laws. FMLA laws? bah, sue us, we have 50 lawyers to your one. Sick time? Come to work, you don't need sick time. unions still serve their purpose, are there corrupt Unions? Sure, just like there are corrupt companies. To say one is totally more at fault than the other is highly irresponsible.

True story:

Three weeks ago, I checked a client into the Hilton downtown. I have never experienced a more miserable, unhelpful front desk staff in my life. To make a long story short, after a 15 minute hassle, I was finally given the rate I was told over the phone the day before after I insisted that the people at the desk personally call the individual who gave me the rate. The woman at the front desk didn't have a "let me find out for you" attitude, but rather a "Ill just say 'no' to everything" attitude. after checking us out, my client said "come on... you can give us a smile, we worked it out..." and she looked at us stonefaced and said "no." As we left, I thanked her and she shot us a dirty look and walked away without a word. Unbelievable. It was an embarrassing representation of the city enough for me to write an email to the GM. The response in a nutshell was "union workers." These people have been at the hotel forever, know they can't get fired and it shows. I will NEVER do business with the Hilton again. While Im sure you take pride in your job this person obviously didn't bevause she could hide behind her union. Its not how a free market should work.

This is just one of the places where Eddie forced the union in in exchange for votes. If the service was the same at The Goodwin its no wonder they closed. I wouldnt stay there either. A free market economy doesn't need unions. Competition, a need for skills and market value dictate fair wages.

One Union is not another Union, is not another Union, just like one Company is not another Company, is not another Company. The comment "union workers" is management's way of skirting the issue while being too lazy to do anything about it. If management wants to remove a certain Union worker, it can be done, trust me, I see it every day, it's lazy managers that want to take the easy way out and blame Union gridlock that all bad behavior to happen. To blanket all Unions as corrupt and ineffective is inaccurate, to be nice. So you've had a run-in with some bad Unions, well, I've dated some crappy chicks, that doesn't make them all bad...

• 9 months later...

every once in a while i look thru some of the web sites for the cities major land holders.... used to be a good source for info when times were good.

but i just saw Northland bought another apartment building in austin. ~400 units this was a couple months ago actually, so t me this means their assets have stablized and they felt comfortable enough to get back into acquisitions. I wonder how long before they attempt development again?

The three residential properties in CT all look very nice. I was surprised to find that the Bigelow and Pavilions were both such upscale locations. The prices seemed fairly decent as well so I would expect that they have low vacancy rates. Some more of these types of properties would be great.

Archived