Nashville-West End Summit

it's just dave

Nashville-West End Summit-new renderings

We've watched the existing buildings be cleared. I've often wondered if this project was going to happen at all. It seems last week a new large sign was installed and it seems something is about to happen. They've at least kept the fence and killed all the weeds. But this is something new. I'm posting the original renderings and these new ones that are on the new sign. There seems to be some adjustments to the design which I like a lot, particulary at street side. Much slicker than the originals. The style of the renderings are different so it's a bit tough to tell, but it looks like they've dressed it up a bit.

These buildings will crown the hill heading west from downtown at the Broadway/West End split. The natural elevation will enhance their prominence, plus the buildings themselves are pretty cool. West End/Vanderbilt/Midtown seems to be getting new front door/gateway. And I like it.

This is one of the original renderings:

DoubleTowers.jpg

As is this:

DayNight.jpg

I took these two this morning (7-10)

WESumSign.jpg

WESummit1.jpg

One thing that held up the project for a while was the disposition of negotiations between a frateral lodge and the developers. The lodge members occupy a historic church in the middle parcel of the development. It's an old church, yellow brick with brick colums and incredible stained glass windows. Alex Palmer, the developer told them he would build them a new building if they chose to sell, but would redesign the project if they chose to stay. If you'll look between the towers of the new renderings, you'll see they obviously chose to stay. And the developer has accomodated their decision quite well. The little guys won, the big guys won. This makes me very happy. I love these kinds of stories.

I guess we'll just wait and see now. Seems like a lot of expense and property acquisition for, as one of our more vocal naysayers says, something that isn't gonna happen.

for more info:

aspcompany.com

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I think you'll think as I do (or vice versa) that West End is primed for a speedy transit corrider (BRT or LRT) with stops along the way which would accomdate more street side retail. An example of this actually happening is the new building on Elliston. The original design had nothing but the medical building, but the owners listened to the neighborhood groups and added a restaurant and some sort of day spa, maybe another. The Roundabout Plaza is also offering street level retail. I like the trend.

OldFridays.jpg

Yes, that is a great idea. If you notice, 2525 West End is also very retail oriented. With everything from Borders books, Birkenstock, a 1st TN Bank location to P.F. Changs on the other end of the building.

Having no retail on the ground floor is so 60's-80's style. Its outdated. They need to "compromise" and make the building 1-2 stories higher with ground level retail. ;)

• 6 months later...

I don't know, Top.

Here's an short blurb from the Biz Journal of January 10th. It sure seems a lot of money for a little bit of land, but a necessary purchase. I saw an article the other day where a spokesman said that hope to have the project completed within two years. That means they need to dig up some dirt pretty darn soon after the weather warms up. I'm keeping my eyes on it. Here's the blurb:

January 10, 2005

Alex S. Palmer completes deal for Masonic Lodge on West End

Alex S. Palmer & Co. has completed its purchase of the Masonic Lodge on West End from the Corinthian Lodge No. 414, F.&A.M.

The company paid $3.8 million for the lodge's properties at 1801 and 1616 West End Ave.

Palmer plans to use the property as part of its West End Summit, a project that will encompass the entire block of 1600 West End Ave. with a 900,000-square-foot, mixed-use complex.

West End Summit will feature class-A office space, luxury condominiums, a health club and spa, and high-end retail.

I sure would like to have seen that.

But I can be made very happy is someone would re-create the NY's Flatiron Building at the West End/Broadway split.

I can dream. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's MY dream, but if you would like to purchase it, please send a self addressed Viridian (or a building of equal value) to:

1990 4th Avenue North

Birmingham, Ala.

:lol:

My Vandy buddy up there gave me the latest on this one. He said that when Palmer got the Masonic Lodge, the limits on his square footage jumped up to 900,000 for the whole block. Plus the height restrictions were lifted (b/c he was no longer abutting another independent building)... so without zoning changes, he can go up to 50 stories. Additionally, he just sold Palmer Plaza for approximately $30 million. It is fully leased, and other developers are sniffing around the Roundabout ... Broad... West End triangle.

So there are two things that are going on right now... Palmer is redoing his plans to go bigger... and possibly taller. And... there is rumored to be a bit of competition between Westin and Hyatt about which one will go in the hotel component of the Summit. Hyatt is also unsure if they want to go forward now instead of waiting to see what happens with the downtown convention center plans. They are still mulling over a brand new downtown tower depending on the c.c. plans.

Where have you heard about the Westin information?

I work for Starwood and haven't heard a thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My buddy is in the development office at Vandy... they own lots of surrounding property. In 1997, Vandy pursued Westin for 2525 W/E, but SW wasn't interested.

I'll have to ask him for validity... but he's usually right on (look back here in a few days). He always makes it clear as to what are real plans vs rumor. He says that this is even past the rumor stage. He was the first to tell me that they were not (nor was W) going into the Roundabout area about three years ago while everybody else was still saying it was a "Go".

So would you typically know about Westin's new locations? They are my favorite hotel... followed closely by Hyatt.

Oh yes, I follow Starwood's development quite closely.

As for Westin in the South, there's one slated for Birmingham (a Grand Bohemian) and Memphis. Raleigh is also getting one and it's under construction as we speak.

Four Points is also expanding in the South and Birmingham is getting one that will be located out by the Airport.

Oh yes, I follow Starwood's development quite closely.

As for Westin in the South, there's one slated for Birmingham (a Grand Bohemian) and Memphis. Raleigh is also getting one and it's under construction as we speak.

Four Points is also expanding in the South and Birmingham is getting one that will be located out by the Airport.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll go with your info then... and stand corrected. Sorry to lead you all astray.

LOL... we may have exposed Palmer's pursuit strategy for a hotel tenant... or Hyatt may already have it locked up.

The site now is used by a European/Volvo Mechanic. My Volvy had her oil changed there once.

As for the Summit - Do you really think it would look good at 50 stories? It would be so out of place that it just would look odd -- Not only that, but is there the demand for a speculative 50 story office tower in the current real estate market?

I agree, DT. 50 would be way too much. 25 and 15 is fine. Besides, with possibly 2 new 300k+ buildings on the way downtown, there's certainly not an infinite need for space. And if Siggie gets out of the ground in the next couple of years, that should do it for a while on high-rises, with the exception of the (when?) Federal Courthouse, and a convention hotel provided a decision is actually made to expand or build. I'm still a bit undecided on the wisdom of that spending. It all depends on what will be "unspent" because of it.

My new mantra..."Build me neighborhoods!"

The West End/MiddleEarth area doesn't need to scale itself out of proportion. It's a people place and extremely tall buildings in that context seem, to me, to have a real "just look, but do not enter" appearance. That doesn't need to happen.

Agreed totally. Nashville's set on highrises for awhile ;)

All I'm interested in for Birmingham (right now) is getting rid of EVERY last parking lot downtown. Not that I would mind a new tower, but after becoming an urbanite, I've developed a severe disdain for them (and parking decks - don't get me started on them!)

As for the CC expansion, if Nashville decides to indeed expand, get ready for one heck of a fight from suburbanites...

Archived