Nashville-West End Summit

it's just dave

I agree on the fact that 50 stories for West End summit would look rediculous and extreme. I think 25 stories is a bit much for the area in context, and that the building would be more proper just across 40 in downtown.

The Summit will be a huge disappointment if it just ends up being another business/hotel complex with nothing on the ground level, or poor ground level amenities that don't implement urban features.

Maybe Hyatt will be smart, let Westin have the Summit, and then build a tower downtown in conjunction with a future convention center. Then again maybe it'll be vice versa, and Westin ends up downtown /w its own shiny tower someday. Either way, it would compliment nicely with Signature and Viridian currently in the works, and would round out 2000-2010 decade with decent activity vs. only two buildings in the 90's downtown (Cumberland and BellSouth).

Signature Tower is at least in the hands of a Chicago architect, so that gives me hope for urban style. BellSouth is horrible on the ground level, but it at least isn't a Snodgrass. Let's not forget Viridian, which is actually being built with urban style in mind. :)

Viridian will be the first decent tower built in Nashville in my memory because of its ground level features.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed totally. Nashville's set on highrises for awhile ;)

All I'm interested in for Birmingham (right now) is getting rid of EVERY last parking lot downtown. Not that I would mind a new tower, but after becoming an urbanite, I've developed a severe disdain for them (and parking decks - don't get me started on them!)

As for the CC expansion, if Nashville decides to indeed expand, get ready for one heck of a fight from suburbanites...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i disagree, I think a 50 story tower will be just right for the midtown area.

In Atlanta there tallest build which i believe is the suntrust tower is in the midtown area,,,,,... I would also love to see a flatron on the west end and broadway split. I would also love to see the words N A S H V I L L E on one of the nashville basin hills just like it is in hollywood....

SunTrust is downtown, FYI.

my bad,,, I mean the bank of america tower in midtown atl is the tallest in atl,

I like disney world but nashville is my home..

It seems like you really don't want to live in Nashville, TopTenn. I believe Disney World is more your style. Check it out sometime ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aww, The Nash isn't bad. Sometimes some of its residents have inflated egos, but hey, what can ya do? Cities are all special in their own ways.

Wow, me defending the Nash... What has the world come to?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go DALLAS AND DEFEND THE BEAUTIFUL CITY OF NASHVILLE

Agreed totally. Nashville's set on highrises for awhile ;)

As for the CC expansion, if Nashville decides to indeed expand, get ready for one heck of a fight from suburbanites...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There will be the usual beotchers. We got 'em here in Atlanta too... but the cc expansion is to be funded with (yet another) hike in the hotel/motel tax.

DT, I checked up on this over the weekend... Apparently, the rumor is still going around that Palmer is pursuing Westin/Hyatt... as far as my buddy knows, there has not yet been a hotel selected.

Additional note according from him... Palmer will probably not go taller than 30 stories... but is considering making the hotel tower taller or building a third tower between of 17-22 between the two towers already planned on the back side of the parking structure. Rumor has it ... (sorry for all the rumors, but he claims he's seen a rendering)... that the middle tower would have condos. I'm guessing that he's waiting to see how Bristol and Novare do with theirs.

Finally, my friend claims that Palmer has his finances set and he'll be ready to pounce when the Masons (?) move out of their building in April. Apparently, Palmer is pursuing a large corporate tenant from out of state. Hope that helps.. .sorry it's not more concrete than that. "Heard on the Street" :)

One more thing... and this is purely anecdotal: The hotel occupancy around Vandy seems to be staggeringlyl high (I don't know what it is)... but the last three times I've tried to find a room up there, I have tried anywhere from 1-2 days ahead at Marriott, Loews, and Courtyard, and only once was I able to get into the Courtyard (thwarted on the other two)... so I've been staying at the Hampton on W/E... and even that was quite crowded. I don't believe there was a Vandy game or anything big going on those times (not sure tho).

Thanks for the news. Out of state tenant, eh? Well, as long as it's not from Birmingham, I don't mind.

Go for Charlotte's jugular :lol:

Anyways - Yes, the West End's hotel occupancy is the best in the city. It's hovering in the mid sixities while the rest of the city is seeing low to mid fifties (even downtown).

One more thing... and this is purely anecdotal:  The hotel occupancy around Vandy seems to be staggeringlyl high (I don't know what it is)... but the last three times I've tried to find a room up there, I have tried anywhere from 1-2 days ahead at Marriott, Loews, and Courtyard, and only once was I able to get into the Courtyard (thwarted on the other two)... so I've been staying at the Hampton on W/E... and even that was quite crowded.  I don't believe there was a Vandy game or anything big going on those times (not sure tho).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm pretty sure it wasn't for a vandy football game. they can't even get fans from here to go to them :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working for the construction firm providing conceptual pricing for the West End Summit. The current plans show twin towers much like the renderings on the project board on site. As it is proposed now, one tower will have 25 floors and the other 19. There are two "base" floors shared by the towers featuring two signature restaurants, a hotel and quite a bit of retail space. The hotel has not been named to my knowledge. The 19-story tower will house the hotel and condos with a fitness center on the top floor. The 25-story tower is slated for office space at this time. Parking will be provided for 2000 cars, two decks above ground, at least four below.

Sadly the Masonic Lodge will be demolished for a motor court between the two towers. A sad ending to a historic building...

Sadly the Masonic Lodge will be demolished for a motor court between the two towers.  A sad ending to a historic building...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

is this the one across the street from the frist? and if so, i'd hate to see it turned into a motor court. and what two towers are you talking about, the west end summit? sorry for my confusion.

is this the one across the street from the frist? and if so, i'd hate to see it turned into a motor court. and what two towers are you talking about, the west end summit? sorry for my confusion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No its not the one across from the frist, the one arcoss from the frist is downtown,.

This is the one on west end between 16 and 17th ave.

The site was the old Mitsubishi dealership, a used are lot and a car wash. It's at the split of Broadway and West End. Drive past it, you'll see the rendering signs and the old lodge.

I did notice this morning that one of the columns of the old lodge building has a large chunk knocked out of it. I better get some pics while the building still stand. It's going down soon, I'm sure.

The site was the old Mitsubishi dealership, a used are lot and a car wash. It's at the split of Broadway and West End. Drive past it, you'll see the rendering signs and the old lodge.

I did notice this morning that one of the columns of the old lodge building has a large chunk knocked out of it. I better get some pics while the building still stand. It's going down soon, I'm sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, i knew where the towers were, i just wasn't aware that there was an old lodge there. maybe i'll see ya taking pictures. i'm planning on going to west end to take some pictures myself this weekend (weather permitting).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes dave, I drove past it again tonite and it is gone. I cant believe they tore it down that quikly. So, i guess the summit will break ground in the next couple of months. I cant wait until it gets builded....I also see there really close to being done with the bristol on broadway its looks nice..

Archived