Nashville-West End Summit

it's just dave

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the taller of the two is about the same at 25 or so, but the second, smaller tower looks to be taller. The first scenario was for a 15-story building, but now it appears the residential component has added 5-8 floors. Just guessing tho. It does look taller now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

b_west.jpg

It looks to me as if the shorter building will be 23-25 floors based on the diagram (I counted...hehe). The taller one appears to have about the same number of floors, maybe even less, but the floors are taller than the ones in the short tower. I guess the tall one will be primarily offices and the 'mixed use' one will primarily be the shorter of the two...

...just speculation based on this sketch.

I like the new design much better than the old....regardless of whether or not it looks like some building in Dallas. The Bellsouth building looks like an older one in australia...but better I might add. This building along with the new West End Tower that was mentioned earlier in the thread should look nice in this area and I can see it building up over the next several years....much like Midtown Atlanta. I'm sure everyone has their opinions on whether or not that would be a good thing, but I would point out that the distance of these new buildings from downtown nashville is much less than Midtown Atl is from Downtown Atl.

You're right GT, the distance from the central core to the Summit is barely a mile or so, and will be linked by the Gulch project and the brugeoning Roundabout/Music Row/Midtown area not to mention other less visible West End rumblings.

I agree with your "count" assessment, nvol. Thanks for posting the rendering. I had trouble early on capturing the image.

I'm now curious about the "upscale" retail components which are supposedly quite extensive. Guess I won't be able to afford them, but I can at least drive by and go "oooooooo." That counts for something I suppose.

I have thought for a long time that it would be nice to develope some higher density projects and link West End to downtown, to make downtown seem to continue on down West End Ave. I would also like to see a little density (maybe just some low or mid rises) in SoBro to help complement the skyline to the south of town. I would much rather have Class A office buildings being built in and around downtown than in the suburbs...except for in Murfreesboro...I wouldn't mind seeing our lil neighbor to the southeast develope a little skyline. :lol:

nash, I'll fill you in on what's going on on the southside of downtown. It's a bit mind-boggling at this point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm familiar with a few of the projects. I know that the Sounds stadium is a go and that the Symphony Hall is coming along nicely. I also hear that there are plans for Rolling Mill Hill (old hospital) which may include a Peabody Hotel(?)...and something else about a downtown Hampton Inn.

What else is there? I'm excited with all this developement...maybe someday they can drive away those 'Worlds Largest XXX Bookstores' that greet visitors as they pass along I-40 south of town. :D

I like the new buildings now. I didn't at first but now that I look at them. I see a great tower that is great for the area. I see a new wave of building coming down west end and I like it. Atlanta midtown is great and maybe one day are midtown would be in the same breath...When will they break ground on this building??

I like the new buildings now. I didn't at first but now that I look at them. I see a great tower that is great for the area. I see a new wave of building coming down west end and I like it. Atlanta midtown is great and maybe one day are midtown would be in the same breath...When will they break ground on this building??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the sake of downtown Nashville, you'd better hope that's not the case.

For the sake of downtown Nashville, you'd better hope that's not the case.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think he means down the road...and by that time our downtown may be comparable to today's downtown Atlanta...

Anyways, since our 'midtown' and downtown are closer together than Atlanta's, it might appear to be one continuous skyline.

I wouldn't think so. There's too much residential being built from Germantown, to the River District, the Court Square, Financial District, Church St, SoBro, Rolling Mill Hill, the Gulch....and all of that LONG before you even hit the fringe of Midtown.

I don't think the scenario will be overly similar. Nashville is exponentially smaller than Atlanta and probably (hopefully) always will. The areas in question are being re-connected in creative ways. It will be interesting to see what WE do with our opportunities. If they turn out like Atlanta, well, we screwed up, but I don't really see the strategies as approaching the same. The planning and connectivity issues being addressed are doing what's needed to avoid that.

I certainly don't have a problem with a very, very active and dense midtown section. If we hadn't built the interstate, we'd still be calling it downtown anyway.

Tony Giarratanna told me that he felt West End Summit would not be built because of the height. The original design was a 16 and 25 story building. 25 stories is almost 400 feet. (12 foot per floor plus a maintanance floor).

Back many years ago, the American Center twin tower development on West end at 31st avenue was supposed to be 24 stories or about 350 feet. The neighborhood behine the development sued and thus we have two 12 story towers because 24 would have blocked sunlight.

When Palmer Plaza was built, there was outrage at a 292 foot, 18 story buiding sticking up in the middle of smaller buildings. I for one hope West End Summit is NOT built. I would rather see four 10 story bulidings instead.

There are too many surface parking lots in the central business district that need "infill" rather than trying to make West End look like Buckhead, Marrietta, Alpharetta, Deactur and other satallite cities around Atlanta.

They should locate this project downtown, say on Church Street at  that lot behind Metro City Hall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the project would have to change then...that building would look very out of place over there...considering a lot of the historic buildings over there are 70-100 years old. I also believe that 'the lot behind Metro City Hall' would be a terrible location...its going to be the new Public Square Park. There is not a lot of space for new developement to take place on that side of downtown.

Really, a park? Hmmmm. I always thought a high rise condo was going there. Where did you get that information? I want to read about that. I was told by someone in the medicaid building (which is to be torn down for the courthouse) that the Govt. wants that lot for a parking garage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A park will sit on a buried 1,200 space parking garage...

Here is an awesome link with the designs....I really like it. (WARNING: PDF FILE)

ftp://ftp.nashville.gov/web/finance/real-...esentPubSqu.pdf

Archived