Nashville-West End Summit

it's just dave

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could not read it, it crashed my web browser for some reason. So we are going to have two parks? The one behind the Metro Courthouse on 3rd and Union and one on Polk and Church at 9th avenue?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know anything about Polk Church and 9th, but we are certainly going to have one behind the Courthouse.

This one should work for you...at least you'll be able to see some of it.

http://www.nashville.gov/finance/Real_Prop...thouse-area.htm

The one I am talking abut is at Polk and Church on 9th. I meant the Metro City Hall, not the Metro Courthouse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah...their temporary location in the old library. City hall will move back to the courthouse building once the renovation is done. That building is worthless imo...I wouldn't mind them developing that into something.

I don't like surface parking lots. William Williams wrote in the City Paper last summer that Nashville is the only city that allows someone to tear a building down and not replace it. Check the City paper archives about the Hathcock Building that a church on 8th avenue tore down to put a surface parking lot.

• 1 month later...

I hear through some contacts that West End Summit is dead! They have changed the design 3 times since it was supposed to have started in 2003.

I hear what may go there instead is a cluster of 5 to 10 story loft condo's much like the ones on old broadway (The Bristol) with retail and another park.

I have also heard that if Tony Giaratanna builds his Signature, than West End Summit is definately dead.

MDHA would like to see office towers downtown, and the Nashville hotel market is now saturated.

My ambivalence is showing. Even though I like the thought of having two "lovely" towers at West End and Broad, the thought of having clusters of condos/apartments might even me happier, especially if it helps the Signature Tower's chances of actually being built.

With the Bristol, the new condos in the 800 block of 18th and the just last week announed 1100 block ($11 million, 56-unit condo), and The Adelicia (18 story, etc) the midtown area will be brimming with new residents. Along with that will come necessary amenities making this area a mere mile or so from downtown a continuing hot spot of anti-suburbanism. This might also help the chances of future light rail along Broadway and West End. And, thinking ahead into a possible crystal ball scenario, the eventual success of a new residential area just might be plant the necessary seed to begin the arduous conversion of the much-maligned car lots on Broadway into similar ventures. Far-fetched? Maybe, but to me, a much more compelling scenario than a twin-set of office towers away from the central city core.

I don't see this as bad news. On the contrary. But, as time goes on, we'll see what happens. It appears nobody really knows right now.

as much as i love towers, i think a cluster of lofts with a park in it would be excellent in that area. plus, we can always bulldoze them later and build a tower on it in the future. all we have to do is say that they are part of nashville's history (remember the jacksonian?) :P

I hope not either, but the West End Summit complex will be 900,000 square feet. That is a lot of square footage to fill. Signature was to be around 750,000 square feet if I recal correctly. 1,650,000 square feet is a lot of new space. If you add Suntrust Plaza at 300,000 square feet, that makes 1,950,000 square feet which is almost equal to one of the 110 story trade center towers and they were only 60%-70% full each.

That is a tremendous feat to fill all that space.

Archived