Next Bank Tower Downtown

RALNATIVE

I've always been suprised Bank of America doesn't have a more prominent tower, their current tower just sort of blends in with the background. I've heard this is because BOA doesn't have that strong of a market position in the Triangle and also b/c they've invested so much money in Charlotte....any thoughts?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always been suprised Bank of America doesn't have a more prominent tower, their current tower just sort of blends in with the background. I've heard this is because BOA doesn't have that strong of a market position in the Triangle and also b/c they've invested so much money in Charlotte....any thoughts?

I had been under the impression BofA was leasing One Hannover while RBC Centura, Capital Bank and Wachovia (Wells Fargo) all owned their buildings in our downtown and as such when you are only leasing then well...you didn't build it...? So what I am trying to say is even though BofA has their name on One Hannover its not really "their" tower at all....but I am not sure I have this exactly correct...

• 1 month later...

The proposed office tower in Charter Square or one of the towers in the Edison could be a bank's tower.

A larger bank could acquire Capital, North State, Cardinal, or First Citizens to get a foothold in the market and build a tower. Regions and Fith Third already have small Triangle presences that could be enhanced with a tower. Wells Fargo now has Wachovia, so are out. Citi is pretty weak, so I don't see them making a splash. But Toronto Dominion (TD) could see what RBC has done and chase them down to Raleigh. I could see them moving here before a JP Morgan Chase which would choose Charlotte, but I would like to be proven wrong!

In the "even less likely but who knows" category could be the European banks -- Barclays, HSBC, the Scotland banks, etc. Deutsche Bank would chose Charlotte due to their airport's flights to Germany.

I thought Deutsche had a new facility in RTP? Might be worth lobbying them in a few years though I don't know what that facility is doing exactly....data equipment might not be a good fit downtown.....memory a little foggy on the whole thing...

Archived