Traffic Data

Architect

This is really more of a question, but perhaps can develop into a valid post for any upcoming developments, but what determines which markets receive real-time traffic data? What hardware is required and who regulates this?

I first noticed this on google maps, with the option to turn traffic data on-off on select markets - and of course this (or similar?) information is also integral to many vehicle navigation systems. This is currently not available in the Little Rock market - evidenced by its absence on google maps and in the navigation system in my wife's new vehicle. It's apparently available in markets "just" larger than Little Rock (Omaha and Tulsa being examples).

Again, I thought someone might know how the data is achieved and when/if it is ever planned for the central Arkansas market.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is really more of a question, but perhaps can develop into a valid post for any upcoming developments, but what determines which markets receive real-time traffic data? What hardware is required and who regulates this?

I first noticed this on google maps, with the option to turn traffic data on-off on select markets - and of course this (or similar?) information is also integral to many vehicle navigation systems. This is currently not available in the Little Rock market - evidenced by its absence on google maps and in the navigation system in my wife's new vehicle. It's apparently available in markets "just" larger than Little Rock (Omaha and Tulsa being examples).

Again, I thought someone might know how the data is achieved and when/if it is ever planned for the central Arkansas market.

Wow...traffic is apparently now available for Little Rock?! I just checked the Map application on my iPhone, and where it used to say "Traffic Unavailable" it now is, and it works! Google Maps online also seems to work. Weird thing is that it now seems to be available everywhere??

This still leaves my main question open...HOW does this work?

Wow...traffic is apparently now available for Little Rock?! I just checked the Map application on my iPhone, and where it used to say "Traffic Unavailable" it now is, and it works! Google Maps online also seems to work. Weird thing is that it now seems to be available everywhere??

This still leaves my main question open...HOW does this work?

• 1 month later...

Archived