Defenders moved to Richmond

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

call me a dreamer or whatever, but I honestly think this state has some screwed up baseball roots.

the state built the nre Britain stadium, the Norwich stadium and the Bridgeport stadium.

so basicly the state had a fairly big say in where teams play or whatever.

Dodd Stadium in Norwich is not all bad in terms of the location because SE Ct certainly can support some kind of minor leage baseball.

3000 attendance, a good year for norwich, still ranks in last place for the AA division. They were the best team in the league too.

so I think its safe to say that the demand for baseball is limited in SE CT. If they still draw 2-3000 for a single A team, I think that would be great. I mean this is Norwich and New London. (putting the stadium in New London would have been better because of highway access, but thats irrelevent.

Bridgeport seems to be at the right level, and SW Ct certainly can support some level of baseball.

the greater Hartford area is however a mess in my opinion.

NB does a find job with the rockcats, but because of geographic location, they make it impossible for a team in Hartford, Waterbury or Springfield. I suppose its good to be central, but I think and have said it here several times that the state should not put another penny into NB baseball stadiums. drop that stadium into Hartford, and draw fans from Springfield like they used to with the Whalers. people from NB would still have easy access too. Baseball stadiums are more than any other civic investment guaranteed to bring consumers in. there are a ton of games, and the fans generally are looking to drink some beers and eat some hot dogs. this crown is highly likely to hang out before or after the game. this is why baseball stadiums are build in city centers more than other sports venues. they are also responsable for significant anscilliary development (see san diego)

The state, in its efforts to spend money bonding stadiums, should map out where it wants to invest these tax dollars.

I for one see 3 teams in the state, but not in the same vision we have today.

a 6270 seat stadium in Eastern CT id just crazy. focus local, and plan on 2-3000

Bridgeport Harbor yard at 5300 sounds about right. Maybe some day it could be expanded a little if the team starts selling more seats.

I see AA a posability for this team, but they do fine in their league now.

Hartford should have a AAA team, or at minimum move the rock cats downtown. attendance would definately rival most AAA teams.

Waterbury could have a lower level team too if anyone was interested in making something happen.

But the real issue to me is the state making some fairly major financial investments in baseball, while reinforcing strange locations for teams.

Bridgeport got it right.

Dodd Stadium is in a terrible location. It's not all that near a highway. It's buried way in the back of an industrial park, out of the way. It's like it was meant to be hidden from the community, not a part of it.

That and being on the northwest side of Norwich, it's farthest away from the rest of southeastern CT as it possibly could be.

It would have been a better fit in the southern side of Norwich, or in New London. And in a more prominent location, not tucked away.

Dodd Stadium is in a terrible location. It's not all that near a highway. It's buried way in the back of an industrial park, out of the way. It's like it was meant to be hidden from the community, not a part of it.

That and being on the northwest side of Norwich, it's farthest away from the rest of southeastern CT as it possibly could be.

It would have been a better fit in the southern side of Norwich, or in New London. And in a more prominent location, not tucked away.

Archived