So long northwest Arkansas

jim9251

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ridgway! That is a nice little town. The True Grit cafe is great. We have a friend that has a house in Ouray so we try and make it up there at least once a year. Telluride is only 45 minutes away as well if you love to ski like I do. Still, it has got to be a big change from NWA. There is very little city life there but I love the weather. Good luck!

Thanks yall. It IS a small quiet town but that is what I was looking for. I have sisters and family an hour away, and love the outdoors and can't wait to explore the Jeep trails, old mines, ghost towns, etc. I've got too many friends in NWA not to come back, so I'll be back every few years probably. I've downsized a lot, renting a nice small place, and plan to relax and enjoy my retirement.

• 6 months later...

HOWDY! Well I survived my first winter in the mountains of Colorado. It got that "wow it's cold" cold here. 15 below zero in December, some of the days highs were 5 degrees. Winter isn't quite over, snowstorm forecast for this week. But the air is crisp, clean, and dry. It took about a month for me to get used to the thin air and altitude and I can hike and wander now without feeling dizzy or huffing and puffing. I drink a LOT of water, chapstick, sunglasses and sunscreen are my best friends. But living in a small mountain town, is something that really suits me. I walk all over the place, people stop and talk, there is NO crime, heck the Town Marshal goes home by 10pm. I miss my friends in nw Arkansas, and sure do miss being able to wander over to Baum Stadium to watch some Hogball. But, the view outside my living room window is of 14,000 ft snow covered mountain peaks, and I am living in a picture postcard.

Yall take care! Have a great warm spring.

image119k.jpg

HOWDY! Well I survived my first winter in the mountains of Colorado. It got that "wow it's cold" cold here. 15 below zero in December, some of the days highs were 5 degrees. Winter isn't quite over, snowstorm forecast for this week. But the air is crisp, clean, and dry. It took about a month for me to get used to the thin air and altitude and I can hike and wander now without feeling dizzy or huffing and puffing. I drink a LOT of water, chapstick, sunglasses and sunscreen are my best friends. But living in a small mountain town, is something that really suits me. I walk all over the place, people stop and talk, there is NO crime, heck the Town Marshal goes home by 10pm. I miss my friends in nw Arkansas, and sure do miss being able to wander over to Baum Stadium to watch some Hogball. But, the view outside my living room window is of 14,000 ft snow covered mountain peaks, and I am living in a picture postcard.

Yall take care! Have a great warm spring.

image119k.jpg

Sounds like an adventure and vacation that never stops ( I know real life steps in though). That is a little cold for my taste but I sure if you are prepared for it and expect the temps it is bearable. Glad to hear you are doing good, Jim.

Archived