AIDS Vaccine Shows Some Success in Trials

ironchapman

Here's some good news on the medical front for us.

Via the New York Times: For First Time, AIDS Vaccine Shows Some Success in Trials

A new AIDS vaccine tested on more than 16,000 volunteers in Thailand has protected a significant minority against infection, the first time any vaccine against the disease has even partly succeeded in a clinical trial.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think once scientists really understand why this vaccine is so successful we just may see a cure for HIV/AIDS in the not to distant future. I think we me be on the brink of something. I think once a cure for HIV/AIDS is discovered, more people will be having unprotected sex, so thats a downside. People will be thinking they can just go to the doctor and get treated like they do with gonorrhea, chlamydia and other sexually transmitted diseases. As more people have unprotected sex, that leads to more unplanned babies. That means abortion rates would spike as well.

However if they don't find a cure, scientists should be concerned because viruses tend to mutate and what we don't want to see happen is this virus becoming airborne. That would mean you could catch HIV the exact same way you catch a cold. If the virus ever did become an airborne illness, the vast majority of us would catch it.

Archived