Great 90s music!

Charlotteman

I have to admit I'm a youtube addict these days :shades:

I watch lotsa cool youtube stuff, but when it comes to music I keep finding myself drawn to the 90s. And youtube comments sections are chock full of people mentioning how much they miss the awesome music from that era.

It's like a strong breeze swept through the land starting about 1991, and brought a great gift of music........How long will it be before we get music of that caliber again? Music today is absolute rubbish.

Just in the last couple days I pulled up Sugar Ray, Spin Doctors, STP, RHCP, and was completely blown away by the quality.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alternative rock also began in the 90's with Nirvana and Pearl Jam although Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were much better bands for my tastes- no offense to the Cobain and Vedder fans out there.

It's interesting how each decade has it's fans who declare that that era had the best music. Probably the music of the 60's is the most socially revelant just because the 60's had the most social and cultural change in America -although whatever you grew up listening to is the best to each person. I find myself listening to such a wide variety of music at my advanced age that I'm not sure if I can choose a favorite genre much less a fave decade :rolleyes:

It's interesting how each decade has it's fans who declare that that era had the best music. Probably the music of the 60's is the most socially revelant just because the 60's had the most social and cultural change in America -although whatever you grew up listening to is the best to each person. I find myself listening to such a wide variety of music at my advanced age that I'm not sure if I can choose a favorite genre much less a fave decade :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hmmm. I love some of the bands who gained varying degrees of fame in the 90s but formed in the 80s: REM (formed 1981), Sonic Youth (formed 1981), The Meat Puppets (formed 1980), Flaming Lips (formed 1984). I'm old enough to say that I listened to them then, and have been quite amazed - pleasantly so - at how big they became, and how good some of their discs were. Ditto Yo La Tengo, The Beastie Boys.

More to the 90s crop of bands: Archers Of Loaf, Pavement, Superchunk, Tortoise, Stereolab, Polvo, Sea And Cake, Seam, Built To Spill, Magnetic Fields. I think Superchunk and Pavement formed at the very end of the 80s actually.

Hip hop: my faves straddled the 80s/90s divide: Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul. Awesome stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to read everyone's thoughts on this topic, and I agree with so many of your comments.

I frequently enjoy reading comments sections on youtube vids, and a recurring theme seen over and over: current music today sucks. I tend to agree with that generalized sentiment. These days, it seems like all a female star has to do is dress up like a cheap whore, slither across the stage like a sleazy nympho on meth, and sing formula garbage, and ----POW! A star is born. Talent seems to have become a non issue.

btw: is anyone on the radio these days producing music of this quality:

(a 90s favorite of mine.:) a real gem I think)

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm. I love some of the bands who gained varying degrees of fame in the 90s but formed in the 80s: REM (formed 1981), Sonic Youth (formed 1981), The Meat Puppets (formed 1980), Flaming Lips (formed 1984). I'm old enough to say that I listened to them then, and have been quite amazed - pleasantly so - at how big they became, and how good some of their discs were. Ditto Yo La Tengo, The Beastie Boys.

More to the 90s crop of bands: Archers Of Loaf, Pavement, Superchunk, Tortoise, Stereolab, Polvo, Sea And Cake, Seam, Built To Spill, Magnetic Fields. I think Superchunk and Pavement formed at the very end of the 80s actually.

Hip hop: my faves straddled the 80s/90s divide: Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul. Awesome stuff.

Archived