Newtown Strategic Growth Area

varider

It's 2011. A light-rail passenger gets off at the last Norfolk Tide stop to the east and gazes across Newtown Road into Virginia Beach. What does she see? The drive-through side of a Rite Aid drugstore, a gymnastics school in a warehouse-like building and a sewage pump station. A block to the north, a BP and a Shell gas station vie for attention. Welcome to Virginia Beach!

"Not an attractive collection of land uses," Deputy City Manager Steve Herbert said.

Herbert and city planners are working on a long-term development plan partly designed to prevent this poor first impression of what they consider a crucial gateway, especially with light rail on the way to Norfolk and perhaps to the Beach.

402611000.jpg

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/beach-eyes-revival-near-tide-lightrail-station

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see the Newtown neighborhood ever looking like that.

I mean, look how wide the sidewalks are. Look at the crosswalks. Look at the train.

Virginia Beach is a suburban,auto-oriented city.

But I wish I could look into a crystal ball and see the city in say.. year 2050?

It is sometimes hard to see beyond what is currently there...this is something I can understand, what people dont realize is what you see does not mean it is permanent. The world is always changing and the built environment is always changing as well. What is there today can always be replaced and redone.

This is Bellevue in 1979.

april_79_seattle_01.jpgPhoto by Jerry Cox.

Downtown Bellevue is the area in the lower left area of the photo...the area with a couple towers and blocks and blocks of strip mall development.

Bellevue today.

Aerial_Bellevue_Washington_August_2009.jpgPhoto taken by Jelson25

There is obvious alot of factors that go into a city having this kind of transformation, but it is also proof that it is possible for any city to see that effect. Bellevue was once thought as nothing more than a pointless suburban neighborhood next to Seattle...today it is able to stand on its own as a second city in the metro.

Basically my point is that what is there today can always be changed and rearranged, and what that image of what could be at Newtown really isnt that far fetched when you think about it.

I'm the most optimistic person in the world, but none of that will happen ithout LR

Urban Design Associates believes that the inly reason it has not happened already is due to a lack of infrastructure (ie roads and sidewalks) Dont forget Newtown is right beside a number of major roads: Newtown Road, Princess Anne/Kempsville Road, I-264, and I-64 all intersect here. Newtown is the major road node of the southside.

Also the Newtown station will already service the area. The only thing missiing right now is the I-264 flyover, and I have a feeling once the Laskin roads are done the flyover will be the next big focus as it services both Pembroke and Newtown.

I really hope it is one day an urban, walkable, vibrant district.. but it's going to take at least 15-20 years.That's a pretty long time.

Hampton Roads has drawn up all these beautiful plans (St.Paul's Quadrant, Hampton Blvd.,Pembroke, Resort Area, Burton Station, Newtown, Military Hwy, etc.) I just have a hard time believing they will all come to fruition.

• 1 month later...

UDI presented stated this was all done in a week at the hotel they were staying at from previous input :ermm:

I believe it. All you need is a graphic designer, GIS guy, and a senior planner and it can be done.

It looks like the critical piece of this plan is the flyover because the existing Witchduck Rd access to the office park would be cut off.

• 1 month later...

In September, the City of Virginia Beach embarked on a study of the Newtown Strategic Growth Area (SGA). The city worked with a team of consultants, led by Urban Design Associates, to hold several public meetings and many focus groups. That work has resulted in a proposed vision for the Newtown SGA. On Thursday, March 25, at 6:30 p.m., the public is invited to a presentation of the final plan to be held at the Department of Environmental Quality Office, 5636 Southern Blvd.

For information on the progress of the Newtown SGA planning effort visit www.VBgov.com/newtown, call Karen Lasley or Carolyn Smith at 385-4621, or e-mail [email protected] or [email protected].

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like it would be a good urban development around a transit station, roughly 12 blocks or so from what I could count (though I wasnt counting the housing on the southern end because that looks more like simple infill and not counting the office park to the east because that looks like a freshened up office park.)

Overall, I definitely like it. It will be interesting to see these plans actually happening. I think when that happens I will actually believe all of this can really happen in VaBeach...though I will say, seeing them do planning projects like this is a huge step forward for VaBeach who always seemed to be all for letting suburban developments have their way with the city.

• 2 months later...

I like the plan, particularly the detailed sections outlining building heights, approx. units being targeted block by block (mid-rise-oriented). and the possibility of that hotel. I especially love the density depicted by the picture on page 51 and proposed "green rooftop spaces" (p. 58). There's a lot of promise!

My only criticism as yet is the 1-story retail (p. 53). I'd like to see it broken up with varying building heights (ranging from 1-3) with apartments above, or flexible office suites above -- something to break up what would otherwise feel like a very sterile 'suburban shopping center feel.' (And yes, I realize it is in fact a suburban shopping center...)

• 1 year later...

The light rail line is averaging 5-7,000 passengers a day and Newtown road is the busiest station. If this type of ridership keeps up over the next few months I expect a large portion of that plan to start coming to fruition. It'll be quite a sight from 264. :)

Archived