Charlotte Center City 2020 Vision Plan

dubone

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to try and make the July 25 meeting if for no other reason than to hear them talk about the "Boulevard Loop" and "Ward Loop" concepts presented in the plan. S'far as I can tell, these Loops are the most original/unique idea in the whole document, and I've never heard them discussed before.

It seems like an intriguing idea to whole-sale address the weakest parts of Uptown which, not surprisingly, all occur around the edge of Uptown. It also affords the opportunity to create stronger cross-277 (or cross-RxR) links to the surrounding neighborhoods. The proposal gets sketchy along 11th street, though, where all they suggest is "reconfiguring Brookshire Frwy" without addressing the realities of what that means. (dissolve it into a surface road? bury it?)

I'm going to try and make the July 25 meeting if for no other reason than to hear them talk about the "Boulevard Loop" and "Ward Loop" concepts presented in the plan. S'far as I can tell, these Loops are the most original/unique idea in the whole document, and I've never heard them discussed before.

It seems like an intriguing idea to whole-sale address the weakest parts of Uptown which, not surprisingly, all occur around the edge of Uptown. It also affords the opportunity to create stronger cross-277 (or cross-RxR) links to the surrounding neighborhoods. The proposal gets sketchy along 11th street, though, where all they suggest is "reconfiguring Brookshire Frwy" without addressing the realities of what that means. (dissolve it into a surface road? bury it?)

That's the part that really interested me as well. I love that they use as an example (somewhere in the attachments) visuals of the high line in NYC. It is not that I want a high line to wrap the Charlotte, but I would love the idea of a wrap park for walking, rollerblading,, biking, etc.

^Likely on CMS land in between Metro School and the County Aquatics Center. But as dead as Second Ward is from superblock institutional uses, is this really the best location for a high school?

If Center City Partners is serious about eliminating the barriers of the I-277/77 ring, why not consider locations just outside it? The old Central HS sits just outside this ring on CPCC's campus. If not renovating this former HS, what about sites along West Trade, North Graham, Parkwood, or North Tryon? All of these corridors need to be better linked with Uptown and yet are within a mile of Fourth Ward.

And unless Elizabeth and Dilworth kids are going to switch from Myers Park HS to a Second Ward HS, such location isn't centrally located. Wesley Heights, West End, North End, NoDa, and Plaza-Midwood residents could all use a new HS. CMS should choose a location that improves schools for all of these first-ring neighborhoods not within Myers Park boundaries, while also serving Uptown.

The cover story for this week's Charlotte Business Journal features the 2020 vision plan. It mentions a thriving retail sector, the Third Ward ballpark, creating parks and running trails over 277, etc. Anyone with a subscription care to paste the full article? :)

Forget the dreary economy, the attendance struggles at the NASCAR Hall of Fame, crime concerns and prospects for reviving residential growth uptown.

Instead, Charlotte Center City Partners is wrapping up the final pieces of its plan for the next wave of major uptown initiatives, known as the Center City 2020 Vision Plan. Crafted over the past year at a cost of $750,000, the draft version of the plan is making its way through a city committee, headed to likely approval by City Council in September.

The plan envisions a thriving and expanding retail sector, a grand transportation hub, a new baseball stadium and an overhaul of the interstate beltway leading into parks and biking and jogging paths........

Edited: UrbanPlanet.org does not allow copyrighted or fee-subscription material or to be posted.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if there is movement on extending MLK to Cedar as suggested in the 2020 vision?  Is this just a suggestion or is it going to happen?

Overcome the Barrier of the Railroad Tracks.
The railroad tracks are a barrier to West Trade Street
and the larger West End area. As a prominent
east-west link through the area, MLK is an
important potential connection to the Third Ward
neighborhood west of the railroad tracks. This street
should be extended as recommended in the Center
City Transportation Plan, linking the neighborhood
directly to the center of the ballpark district.

^I spoke with someone at CDOT about this project last October, at the time they said they were currently in the planning / design stage (design needed to happen for the Woodfield project) but it was not funded. He was pretty confident it would happen in the short term (meaning a couple years).

FWIW

The plans were for street connection, but I suspect that it will be reduced in scope to only be pedestrian, even though there is already the connection 2 blocks south by the stadium.   

It is great to hear that SOMETHING is happening for that.  I often run on the quasi-greenway on this corridor around the practice fields.  MLK is such a small street, it seems slightly unnecessary.  

However, I could envision that a pedestrian-only connector be added to save costs at MLK, but the existing underpass at Stonewall to First is already wide enough for a street connection, so maybe that could be expanded from pedestrian-only to a small neighborhood street connector.

Archived