ArtPrize - The Top Ten

jbr12

Who gets your Top 10 ArtPrize Vote?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets your Top 10 ArtPrize Vote?

• winddancer 2 - Michael Westra
    • Open Water no.24 - Ran Ortner
    • The Furniture City Sets the Table for the World of Art
    • Nessie on the Grand - Nessie Project
    • Moose - Bill Secunda
    • Ecstasy of the Scarlet Empress - Jason Hackenwerth
    • Field of Reeds - John Douglas Powers
    • The Grand Dance - David Lubbers
    • Imagine That! - Tracy Van Duinen
    • Portraits - Eric Daigh

winddancer 2 - Michael Westra

3926248692_1c7ab70221.jpg

Image from GRDad's Flickr

Open Water no.24 - Ran Ortner

3962018558_74f7fbc21a.jpg

Image from detroit_import's Flickr

The Furniture City Sets the Table for the World of Art

3954341991_ee55859d97.jpg

Image from JohnE's Flickr

Nessie on the Grand - Nessie Project

3946500506_c1d2353be9.jpg

Moose - Bill Secunda

3942318540_f9c3be3ee0.jpg

Ecstasy of the Scarlet Empress - Jason Hackenwerth

3952425476_43e604235c.jpg

Image from im_alex's Flickr

Field of Reeds - John Douglas Powers

3971262499_231f60c7e9.jpg

Image from Blues Belle's Flickr

The Grand Dance - David Lubbers

3926249228_a71c65988b.jpg

Imagine That! - Tracy Van Duinen

3864986989_c6e279f746.jpg

Portraits - Eric Daigh

3961208749_b3bdf23db2.jpg

Image from detroit_import's Flickr

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like dumping garbage bags of colored paper airplanes off a building is still just dumping garbage off a building and not actually something artistic! I'm pretty happy with the top 10. I haven't seen all of them about I voted ups for about 4 of them.

On another note, its been fantastic seeing the crowds of people downtown. Even on a Sunday! If only we had steady pedestrian traffic ike this we might have ourselves an Urban Outfitters or an H&M, or a downtown Walgreens, movie theater etc. I was surprised to see as many businesses closed or understaffed as I did on Sunday. I went to Cambridge House and it took over an hour for two of us to get in and out. At least 6 or 8 tables walked out before getting service. Literally 25 people or so. Way to represent GR to tourists, suburbanites and urban locals! Sheesh!

I agree. The thing about Field of Reeds is that you really have to see it in person. The movement of the reeds and sound of the squeeky motor/parts help make it an entire experience.

Joe

Thanks jbr12! I had to go with the kinetic sculpture "Field of Reeds" by John Douglas Powers. I love art that is firmly planted in the left and right hemispheres of the brain. :)

4 of the top 10 are just plain ridiculous that they made it.

I'm having a difficult time picking a #1. Haven't decided yet, but so far I am leaning towards The Grand Dance. It fits its location superbly, the style blends well with the JW, gives a reason to look out into the river without dominating over the river -- reminds me almost of a school of fish -- and is a piece that I could easily see fitting as a permanent fixture if it weren't for the ice floes in winter. My only complaint with it is that its structural base doesn't quite fit, but I'm assuming that was done so it can be showcased elsewhere if need be.

As for field of reeds, I agree. I tend to shy away from farm-related things, but it's really a great piece and is competing with Grand Dance for me.

I voted for Open Water. To be 100% honest, I'm not sure that or the Field of Reeds would have been in my top 10 if they weren't so expertly displayed in the same room as each other. Those two pieces should travel together. :)

Anyway, my top 3:

Open Water

Field of Reeds

Ecstacy of the Scarlet Empress

From artprize.org

" The building was first opened in 1911, it housed courts and the central post office. It was home to the Grand Rapids Art Museum from 1981 to 2007."

As the current users, I would call it whatever ArtPrize calls it. They call it "Old Federal Building." So will I.

From artprize.org

" The building was first opened in 1911, it housed courts and the central post office. It was home to the Grand Rapids Art Museum from 1981 to 2007."

As the current users, I would call it whatever ArtPrize calls it. They call it "Old Federal Building." So will I.

Most of the citizenry I've spoken with said that they did not know it had ever been a federal/post office building. Had some 'splainin' to do.

"Old GRAM" flows trippingly off the tongue, and was readily understood by anyone who was in town for those 26 years.

As a redshirt, I have passed along many comments to the A/P folk.

Sheesh, why don't we give confusing names to all the venues. City Hall can be "Alexander." DVP can be "Rich."

And we can send frantic e-mails to everyone on the volunteer list advising them that they are scheduled to help tonight, or asking them to please sign up to volunteer. Oh wait, that's already happening.

I was just telling my wife that Imagine That! is the most appropriate in the top 10, in that the combination of location + art is more fitting than any other installation. It does give it a little extra something IMO.

Archived