Metro Government for Chattanooga/Hamilton County?

flith

Mayor Littlefield stated he is willing to suspend pending annexations if the county will discuss consolidation of government.

I believe it is time for this. If all residents of Hamilton County really believe less government is the way to go then all of the cities (11!) and the county could merge to form 1 government from 12.

Although I think the Mayor is just interested in Chattanooga and Hamilton county governments merging, leaving the other 10 cities alone.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mayor Littlefield stated he is willing to suspend pending annexations if the county will discuss consolidation of government.

I believe it is time for this. If all residents of Hamilton County really believe less government is the way to go then all of the cities (11!) and the county could merge to form 1 government from 12.

Although I think the Mayor is just interested in Chattanooga and Hamilton county governments merging, leaving the other 10 cities alone.

I agree. I used to live in Nashville, and can remember before and after consolidation occurred there. They set it up as an urban services district and a non urban services district. If you lived outside the urban services district, taxes were considerably lower similar to the current situation for people who live outside Chattanooga in Hamilton County. But, the best thing is that taxes seem to be lower both inside and outside the Nashville urban services district than inside Chattanooga or in Hamilton. There's a good chance that taxes would come down if government were consolidated here. In my opinion, it was one of the best things that ever happened to Nashville.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The City Mayor has offered to give the City police to the County. It seems they are less then interested. Perhaps this is over simplification. The city police chief has/will retire and the City has offered the position to the County for a nominal fee.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I have planned to move in Chattanooga as my new project is starting over there. They are offering me a promotion but my biggest worry about the rented place; I heard that mortgage rates in Chattanooga are very high. Can you guys help me to find a simple, clean, safe mortgage in Chattanooga in not much expensive but I would prefer area near about park or lake. Thanks in advance.

Mortgage Chattanooga

Archived