Traffic Congestion, Road Construction, & Improvement Projects

gman430

I noticed several sub-forums on urbanplanet have a traffic congestion/construction thread but Greenville doesn't, so I decided to start one here. This will be a good place to discuss any roads that have traffic problems like Woodruff Road, any up-coming road construction projects like the I-385 widening project, and any improvement projects like the Church Street project. Here are some updates to start us off:

-Road work at the intersection of Highway 123 and Prince Perry Road in Easley has started construction. This project will include widening several roads and a new five lane bridge over the railroad.

-Here is the RFP proposal pdf file for the I-385 widening project in Mauldin: http://www.dot.state.sc.us/doing/pdfs/i385_rfq.pdf Construction is scheduled to start in Spring 2010.

-Resurfacing of I-85 southbound from Laurens Road to White Horse Road and resurfacing of I-185 north of I-85 heading northbound is scheduled to start in December 2009.

-Haywood Road improvement project is scheduled to start in late 2009/early 2010. Will stretch from Laurens Road to I-385. Powerline burial, new sidewalks, and possibly uptown signage/new traffic lights on black mast poles.

-The Fairforest Way widening/improvement project is scheduled to start in March 2010. Will stretch from Laurens Road to Mauldin Road. This road will be very similar looking to the ICAR campus four lane road when complete.

-The Church Street improvement project is scheduled to start in April 2010. Will stretch from Augusta Road to University Ridge. Bike lanes, powerline burial, new traffic lights on black mast poles, decorative street lighting, lane shrinking, etc.

-Widening of White Horse Road in the Berea area is scheduled to start in May 2010.

Edited by citylife

Nice thread idea, citylife. I am glad to see these projects on the schedule. All will be positive improvements to area roads. :thumbsup:

I was not aware that the Church Street improvements would only be from Augusta Road to University Ridge (although this is certainly the most critical section). I thought there were also plans to improve the section from University Ridge to Washington Street, with possible changes to the Church Street bridge. Did I dream this?

• 2 weeks later...

-The East-West Connector in Anderson broke ground last week: http://www.independentmail.com/news/2009/o...ector-anderson/ What a waste of stimulus money. How dare they create jobs. ;)

-Improvements to the intersection of Woodruff Road and South Bennetts Bridge Road in the Five Forks area are scheduled to start in December 2009.

-Interstate 385 rehabilitation in the Fountain Inn area is scheduled to start in Winter 2010.

-Repaving of several downtown streets including Spring/Falls Street has started.

-Interstate 85 rehabilitation in Anderson and Greenville Counties has started.

Edited by citylife

• 3 months later...
Interesting article from GSA business about the funding for the highway system in Gville county in particular, how funding is being eroded with less miles driven throughout the state, and how the growth is taking a toll on area roads. Good to see that this is at least being talked about. Interesting that it states "demographers" expect county poulation to grow by 250k over the next 25 years.

Interesting article from GSA business about the funding for the highway system in Gville county in particular, how funding is being eroded with less miles driven throughout the state, and how the growth is taking a toll on area roads. Good to see that this is at least being talked about. Interesting that it states "demographers" expect county poulation to grow by 250k over the next 25 years.

That would have Greenville County pushing 700K in population. I would also expect that growth to spill over into Pickens, Spartanburg, and Anderson counties too. We would be looking at a much more populated MSA, for sure.

That seems about right. Many legislatures are considering funding alternatives to replace the fixed-rate gas tax. Many communities are looking at a tax on the actual miles driven (which would require annual inspections in states with out them).

The other problem is that the cities and counties in SC, except Charleston, are not encouraging connectivity. If Greenville continues to allow the construction sprawlly junk, (like you see in Five Forks or what have you) without building new new streets that improve the overall street network and connectivity, then be prepared for endless gridlock. The "Atlanta syndrome" is a very real problem that the Upstate as a whole faces, and Greenville will be particularly challenged since it is expecting such a rapid increase in population. You can also look to Charlotte for examples of how not to do it, and how to fix it (I can cite examples if interested).

One need only look at any of the central cities of South Carolina to see that a higher degree of connectivity and more streets on which to drive is a good thing.

Unfortunately it requires money to fix the problem, so unless the people of Greenville County, and probably South Carolina, are willing to tax themselves a little more to build new streets we'll always be playing catch up.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone heard anything about the Church St improvement project?

The last article I could find from a search on The Greenville News shows that it cleared a 'hurdle', but the article is dated from Feb.

You can find information on that project here: http://dbw.scdot.org/activeprojects/ProjDescription.aspx?PC=13304&C=Greenville&TY=24

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WTH ? The bid was supposed to be awarded last month.

This is ridiculous. The engineering has already been done for this, over a year ago.

I want answers.

Honestly, i'm not suprised especially seeing how it's the SCDOT doing the work. They are one of the most incompetent state agencies i've ever seen. In other news, those grass medians on Woodruff Road between Laurens Road and Verdae Blvd. are finally going to get landscaping.

According to the Greenville News, the SCDOT is going to extend the merge lane on I-85 northbound from I-385 to Pelham Road and vise-versa heading southbound. As most of you know, the merge lanes currently end before they get to the next exit which causes a real headache heading both directions during the morning and afternoon rush hours. Cost is $15-$20 million. Design scheduled to be competed in fall 2011 with construction starting sometime in 2012. Great to see and very badly needed.

Edited by citylife

According to the Greenville News, the SCDOT is going to extend the merge lane on I-85 northbound from I-385 to Pelham Road and vise-versa heading southbound. As most of you know, the merge lanes currently end before they get to the next exit which causes a real headache heading both directions during the morning and afternoon rush hours. Cost is $15-$20 million. Design scheduled to be competed in fall 2011 with construction starting sometime in 2012. Great to see and very badly needed.

Always wondered when that would dawn on SCDOT. Biggest "Pinch Point" in area, and a relatively simple fix! Great news!