Traffic Congestion, Road Construction, & Improvement Projects

gman430

Sounds like a great project...and much needed. Any idea on when they plan to begin?

Construction bids go out January 28th so probably sometime in February or March.

What about sidewalk improvements?

Future plans (when money becomes available) according to the bid package calls for new sidewalks, powerline burial, new crosswalks, trash cans, benches, greenway trail and a lot more trees/plantings.

I just received the bid package for the Wade Hampton Blvd. landscaping project. 289 trees will be planted along shoulders from Church Street to Pleasantburg Drive. :thumbsup:

Speaking of this, anybody know what is going on with the landscape project for I-385/Haywood Road? :unsure:

This sounds fantastic! However, I hope they're large shade trees. I hate it when they resort to planting crepe myrtles because of utility lines and such.

This sounds fantastic! However, I hope they're large shade trees. I hate it when they resort to planting crepe myrtles because of utility lines and such.

Here is the amount and types of trees they will be using for this project:

109 Bosque Elm, 53 Trident Maple, 41 Crape Myrtle, 48 Black Gum, and 38 Red Maple. Total: 289.

Edited by gman430

Construction bids go out January 28th so probably sometime in February or March.

Future plans (when money becomes available) according to the bid package calls for new sidewalks, powerline burial, new crosswalks, trash cans, benches, greenway trail and a lot more trees/plantings.

Is their a timeline for an expansion?

This is my 'hood, so this is great news. Has anyone heard anything about the three big real estate parcels in that area: the triangle at Church and Wade Hampton, the old hotel site on the hill, and the big area they cleared two years ago?

My 'hood as well. Living between downtown and Cleveland Park right now but the parents are still over there so I'm around pretty often. It'll be nice to see that stretch of Wade Hampton get a face lift (FINALLY), but I'm most excited about a greenway trail that I assume would connect to the Swamp Rabbit.

edit: Of course the greenway is in 'future plans', so I realize it could be a while. Glad the thought is there though  :P

Edited by GVLbikeNboard

Will they be building out the curb to create planting space (similar to McBee Ave)? Hopefully so, as something needs to be done to help make the street feel more narrow. It's nice to hear of all of the landscaping projects going forward right now for the Stone Ave area. Hopefully we'll see some North End development/Stone Ave investment before too long...

Will they be building out the curb to create planting space (similar to McBee Ave)? Hopefully so, as something needs to be done to help make the street feel more narrow. It's nice to hear of all of the landscaping projects going forward right now for the Stone Ave area. Hopefully we'll see some North End development/Stone Ave investment before too long...

Yes. All of the plantings will be along the sides of the road between the parallel parking spaces with built out curbs.

Though not really related, a retaining wall gave up the ghost in Cleveland Park last night after the 4 days of straight rain.

Thanks for posting that, I was wondering what was going on. I noticed the stone sign for Cleveland Park was down at the corner of McDaniel and Ridgeland. I thought it was a planned sidewalk project getting underway!

Edited by SolidGreenville

So I decided to draw in my ideas for relieving the traffic on Woodruff road

IMG_0182_zpsef0aaee0.jpg

In the above picture: 

1. both Woodruff exits morphed into SPUI's, this reduces 2 stoplights on the road. This also opens up land for more retail use.

2. Garlington Rd. widened to 4 lanes North of Woodruff

3. Since on-ramp to I85-I385 interchange from Woodruff moved, a right turn only out of Greenridge. Currently there is only a right turn into Greenridge. This allows another way out.

4. Market Point Dr. extended and turns to meet Carolina Point Pkwy.

IMG_0183_zps36ca98d0.jpg

In this photo:

1. Roper Mountain Rd-I385 interchange changed to SPUI reducing one light. This frees up land for development. 

2. On the East bound On ramp, a one lane/one direction road breaks off and connects in the Costco parking lot. This allows I-385 traffic to bypass Woodruff road altogether to get to Magnolia Park.

Edited by ausrutherford

IMG_0184_zps5db227a4.jpg

In this picture:

1. Ketron Dr, Green Heron Dr., and Woodruff Industrial Lane widened to 4 lanes and extended down to the new 4 lane road.

2. Green Heron Dr. further extends to Old Sulphur Springs Rd.

3. A New 4 Lane Road built off Verdae Rd. Goes past 3 way intersection with Woodruff Industrial lane and then turns South to meet Salters Rd. In doing so, it cuts off the end of Old Sulphur Springs Rd for which it forms an intersection with.

4. Old Sulphur Springs Rd widened to 4 lanes from Verdae Rd. to the new road. No longer ends on Salters Rd.

5. Salters Rd widened to 4 lanes from Woodruff Rd, through Verdae Rd, to Millennium Blvd.

Thoughts?

Green Heron Rd. needs to connect to Old Sulphur Springs Rd. at a minimum.  There simply isn't room for four lanes.

Nutra Mfg. has added several hundred employees in the last three years.  One issue is the loading dock area has to be dramatically reduced or moved due to the proximity to the road.

The decorative streetlights (if you can call them that) have been installed along Haywood Road where the powerlines were buried.

It's FINALLY happening. The ugly powerlines with streetlights attached along Wade Hampton Blvd are now being replaced with black mast streetlights:6899540570_43ea1f984a_b.jpg

More of these were being installed along with powerlines being moved further back from the street this past week along Wade Hampton Blvd.

Edited by gman430

I would think/hope the Haywood silver lights will be painted black. It almost looks stupid because those lights are ONLY where they buried power lines.

I was hoping for Church Street-style lights. I wish they'd at least shine white and not that amber color. Otherwise, Haywood looks great in that stretch.