Traffic Congestion, Road Construction, & Improvement Projects

gman430

The only solutions I see discussed in the article is 1) whatever unfunded plan Haley  has or 2) a capitol sales tax that also repeals the hospitality tax which as not as yet been passed.  Assuming number two does pass, the tax would be limited by loss of the later tax. I could see maybe $50-100mm raised from that (just a ball park guesstimate).  It might allow one or two major projects and no more.  

It looks like new traffic lights on mast poles will be going up along Stone Avenue.

Also, landscaped medians are slated for Wade Hampton Blvd.

Noticed this last night. Nice to see... were the new mast poles planned or just random? Should help with the look of Stone. They have been doing a lot of electrical work (moving lines, running new lines) over the past week+ which Im assuming is for the new development on Stone/Main/Rowley.

• 1 month later...

Cleveland Street closed through spring beginning today

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2015/01/05/cleveland-street-closed-spring-beginning-today/21282269/

Beginning this morning and lasting through the spring, portions of Cleveland Street near Sirrine Stadium will be closed to complete extensive sewer expansion work, similar to the project that closed East Park Avenue for three months.

Swamp Rabbit Trail under Cleveland Street is also closed through end of January.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Noticed this last night. Nice to see... were the new mast poles planned or just random? Should help with the look of Stone. They have been doing a lot of electrical work (moving lines, running new lines) over the past week+ which Im assuming is for the new development on Stone/Main/Rowley.

I am very disappointed with this so far. Not only are there still lots of wires overhead but only half of the wooden poles for the traffic lights at a lot of the intersections have been replaced with the black mast ones. Talk about half-ass. 

I am very disappointed with this so far. Not only are there still lots of wires overhead but only half of the wooden poles for the traffic lights at a lot of the intersections have been replaced with the black mast ones. Talk about half-ass. 

Agree. Posted this in a different Stone Ave. topic. What a missed opportunity.

• 1 month later...

The widening of Salters Road — a key connection between Woodruff Road and the CU-ICAR Millennium Campus — has long called for a new bridge over Interstate 85.

And all along, the desire has been to have a visually appealing bridge at an important gateway to Greenville for locals and for travelers coming in from Charlotte and Atlanta.

A group of private interests has pledged half a million dollars to accomplish that goal.

The city of Greenville has entered into an agreement to coordinate aesthetic improvements to the new bridge that will make it much more than another forgettable concrete structure.

The $500,000 was put up by property owners around the Verdae area, including Verdae Properties, Hubble Lighting and TD Bank, City Engineer Dwayne Cooper said.

The city will act as a manager of the money, interacting with the S.C. Department of Transportation, which is working on the $11 million widening and bridge project.

The money goes specifically to dressing up the bridge. 

The aesthetic work will include a rock pattern on concrete parapet walls, colored stain, dark bronze metal railing, double-tiered retaining walls and piers that provide lighting, Cooper said.

Edited by vicupstate

It's good to hear an update on this. I wonder what sort of improvements and enhancements the City and County might include in the 85/385 interchange? I hope they have something in the works. What they did for 385 has made it easily the most attractive major road in the state and a nice gateway for the City.

It's good to hear an update on this. I wonder what sort of improvements and enhancements the City and County might include in the 85/385 interchange? I hope they have something in the works. What they did for 385 has made it easily the most attractive major road in the state and a nice gateway for the City.

I agree 100%. What the city has done for I-385 is nothing short of fantastic. It continues to get better every year also as more landscaping continues to get added.

Since the article states that the $500,000 put up by the businesses will go towards aesthetics, I don't see what the issue is. Unless the cost is substantially more for the aesthetics portion. This project is needed before it is too late. We are giving them flak because they are being proactive now??

I don't have a problem with this particular project in how it's going. Because it was going to be built with or without the extra money. If any project can be done with good looks in mind I'm all for it. As long it's done at an appropriate cost and time. The bridge in question was.

If the bridge in functionally deficient, then it should be replaced.  But, at $11m in state money, I am not sure a bridge that carries 6,000 car per day needs to be expanded which may double the cost. 

As for the decoration, I have not seen anything yet that says companies are attracted to locating in a city because of landscaping.

That bridge really do need to be replaced now rather than later. There has to be an alternative route into that area. And with the rejection of sales tax increase, we have to work with what we have. And you are saying if you bought a house you wouldn't mind if it didn't have landscaping. A perfectly good house functionally. No you wouldn't. It's just like all the landscaping around a lot of the interstate exits across the state. It's wasn't necessary, but it was a nice touch. And we know that wasn't free.

The biggest transportation need county-wide in terms of traffic is to create a parallel route to Woodruff Rd. The wider Rocky Slope will be a feeder/means of access to that new road.  This project is part of a larger, much needed goal. Also four lane primary roads are called for within both Verdae and ICAR, which Rocky Slope will be. Landscaping is part of the first impression that anyone will get when they are first exposed to anyplace.  Therefore, it is always important. 

Can you provide a source for your Sealed Air comment?   Here is my source that your purposely negative comments is not in fact true:

Sealed Air was also considering Greenville, S.C., South Carolina and Atlanta at the time.

Peribere said the decision culminates a national search for a location to consolidate its divisions. Sealed Air ultimately chose Charlotte for its headquarters over Greenville, S.C.

Peribere said the company decided on Charlotte because of its quality of life, climate, schools, and also an aggressive recruiting effort from state and local officials. The company’s chief financial officer, Carol Lowe, also hails from the Charlotte area. McCrory presented Peribere with a sweatshirt from Sun Valley High in Union County, where Lowe went to school.

Further, Greenville beat out Atlanta, which obviously has a large educated work force, so that undermines your comment as well.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article9142919.html

Edited by vicupstate

Where is the industrial park that you are talking about?

I have said this before and will again. They should go ahead and build it as it should be built. Not half way.

And the house analogy was use to dumb down the conversation about aesthetics and our roadways. But I guess as usual that went over the heads of some of us. Because it was very understandable.

BTW, Sealed Air didn't and don't have anything to do with this conversation.

But with this needing to being on another thread. Corporate locations are determined by a number of factors that do differ from company to company. Greenville don't check off all boxes for everyone. It will for others. Just having Greenville being considered is a plus. With that being said I can assume others are looking as well. Who knows?

For anybody who lives or have go on that side of Greenville. They know it's needed.

This bridge became special because clt started talking about it. It's been in works for more than a year. And once again the added adornment was added courtesy of the surrounding companies of the bridge. Not the tax payers, aka me. Many communities can't get get that kind of participation. And I appreciate it.

For anybody who lives or have go on that side of Greenville. They know it's needed.

This bridge became special because clt started talking about it. It's been in works for more than a year. And once again the added adornment was added courtesy of the surrounding companies of the bridge. Not the tax payers, aka me. Many communities can't get get that kind of participation. And I appreciate it.

So, you have three main arteries headed south, one an interstate, and you feel like a 6,000 car per day bridge is needed.