Traffic Congestion, Road Construction, & Improvement Projects

gman430

Glad to see you back on the forum btoy.

Why would the taller lights not have the spacing at the base? Wouldn't the same preventative reason apply?

The taller ones did have spacing, but a base was put on. The difference between the taller ones and the smaller ones was the taller did not have what looked to be a base already installed. If you look at the image posted a page back, the smaller lights look to have a sort of base on them, just way too high. I could be wrong and there could be an additional cap installed over them.

Thanks for the info about Church Street, btoy. It is good to know that the city's attention to detail is still alive and well. It's too bad a few posters here made some assumptions and failed to give the planners the benefit of the doubt.

Few poster = me.

No assumptions. I have eyes. The project is sloppy and lacks detail. Period. Greenville could have stepped in with the state at any point. The project is in Greenville and is a reflection of Greenville. Sad.

Few poster = me.

No assumptions. I have eyes. The project is sloppy and lacks detail. Period. Greenville could have stepped in with the state at any point. The project is in Greenville and is a reflection of Greenville. Sad.

Have we found any confirmation that the project is "completed"? What additional details are you asking for? Please don't say utility lines, as they can always be buried with future development (this IS the policy for all other burials in the City limits and there's no reason to think it can't happen here...).

Edited by GvilleSC

I'm wondering if the project went over budget. I remember that being a problem when bids were initially issued for it which is why the city came out and stated that they would fund any extra costs over the $5 million that was available.

Have we found any confirmation that the project is "completed"? What additional details are you asking for? Please don't say utility lines, as they can always be buried with future development (this IS the policy for all other burials in the City limits and there's no reason to think it can't happen here...).

For me personally, I would like to see the old street lights removed and the current powerlines moved behind the sidewalks like you see on Fairforest Way. If it can be done there with that improvement project, why not here? I know asking them to be buried is a lost cause due to costs. I can live with the current landscaping and sidewalk width even though I am not a big fan of those either.

Edited by citylife

As for the traffic lights, the old lights probubly belong to Duke Power and my guess they are waiting for Duke to get out and remove them as for the new lights, I think their is a base that still needs to be installed, but the rise you are seeing is a safty issue. It is my understand that the spacing is to insure that the lights break away if struck by a car therefor lessoning the chance of injury to the driver and any passengers in a car that might strike one. If you look at any of the new poles going up for traffic lights around town you will see that they are spaced off the ground the same way.

Which is more of a safety issue, a car running into a light pole, or a 20' tall light pole falling over after a car runs into it?

I was just down Church about an hour ago and this project is not up to any quality or detail level to be defended. We can all debate who did the project. Why certain things were done or not done. In the end, the project is SLOPPY and a black mark on Greenville. As taxpayers, we should all expect and demand better. OR, have Greenvillians become so complacent that the expectation level has lowered?????? Hmmmmm.......

Edited by gs3

The city has some say in any SCDOT project that is in it's limits, but I can tell you from my 40+ years of leaving in the state, that the state and feds call the shots for the most part when it comes to major roads and esp. US Hwys. Stone Ave. is one example of that.

Once this is completely done/turned over, I would expect the city would have more leeway to make amends. And if they doesn't happen I will make my opinion known to them.

• 2 weeks later...

The finished Church Street project is FAR, FAR, FAR removed from the excellent detail level Greenville used to be known for. I was down Church last night and details have been overlooked right and left. Just a few of the many:

- The new loose stone median with plantings already has waist high weeds growing. Hello.....anyone going to remove them?

- The grass strip between the lanes and sidewalks are seriously overgrown. Deep grass, waist high weeds. Even some weeds growing up the new lamp post.

- The old lights are STILL on the old wooden poles, some immediately adjacent to the new light poles. Will these old lights EVER be removed?

- Road signs / street signs were stuck back in the ground very random. Some are leaning, some are bent. Nothing new, fresh or exacting.

- Overhead road signs at the Augusta intersection are still on wires strung from old wooden poles.

- Some of the new lights already have broken glass lamp covers and some do not work.

On and on. This project is seriously lacking in detail. Is this the best we can expect in Greenville going forward? What happened to the Greenville that thrived on details??????

Almost another month has gone by. Was down church today. None of the above issues have been fixed. Project looks to be complete and I guess half-ass completion is the best we can expect. Quite sad.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this would go here, but the Greenville News had an article yesterday about the removal of a bunch of billboard signs around the city. I guess the city and the company that owns them (cant remember the name right now) came to agreement on the removal of some, and Greenville picking up the bill to replace others with the LED style. These LED style signs will be shut off at Midnight. They mentioned Church st. and Stone Ave. being two roads where some were being removed. The big double-decker sign on Stone that everyone hates will remain for now. They said they could not come to agreement on that one in time to include it in this phase of the agreement.

Also - regarding Church St.... I would say at least half of the street lights are out. There are three pieces of equipment back on site for some reason.

Not sure if this would go here, but the Greenville News had an article yesterday about the removal of a bunch of billboard signs around the city. I guess the city and the company that owns them (cant remember the name right now) came to agreement on the removal of some, and Greenville picking up the bill to replace others with the LED style. These LED style signs will be shut off at Midnight. They mentioned Church st. and Stone Ave. being two roads where some were being removed. The big double-decker sign on Stone that everyone hates will remain for now. They said they could not come to agreement on that one in time to include it in this phase of the agreement.

This sounds like a nice additional step to improving the aesthetic across the City. :thumbsup:

I hope they'll remove the small billboard on Rhett Street near the Brownstones at some point.

Edited by GvilleSC

Old Buncombe Road paving is just about finished. Striped for four lanes - no bike lanes. Very disappointing

If you live in Senate District 6 (see map:http://www.scstatehouse.gov/maps/senate/Sen6.pdf) or know of someone who does, you can send a message to the person most responsible (Mike Fair) for this arrogant abuse of power.

I don't live in that district, but I know of a few people who do, and I will definitely be letting them know why they should support his opponent Tommie Reece.

Fair is a real piece of work to begin with, and he is stuck in the 1950's. Now he has a strong opponent for once. It's time to send him back to the Parker district, instead of the General Assembly.

I don't know if Dwight Loftis has an opponent this time, but he and Willis Meadors (County Council) need to go too.

Sounds like the Parker Road Diet got cancelled too. Not sure if it's the same politicians who shut that one down, but I find these kind of decisions very disappointing. Both of these areas need redevelopment and something as simple as painting extra lines on a road could go a long way toward making that happen.

WYFF4 story on Brown Street:

http://www.wyff4.com...ue/-/index.html

This is still a complete facepalm to me.

Whoever designed the sidewalk has never seen a piano. Those are stripes, not "sharp/flat keys," which should be shorter than the white "keys."

And really - huge gateway signes around only one block with basically a single restaurant? What next - two massive signs around Bergamo's proclaiming it "Little Italy?" <end good-natured sarcasm>

Sorry for the venting. I just get so "bent" when there's a great idea that gets completely screwed up.

This is still a complete facepalm to me.

Whoever designed the sidewalk has never seen a piano. Those are stripes, not "sharp/flat keys," which should be shorter than the white "keys."

And really - huge gateway signes around only one block with basically a single restaurant? What next - two massive signs around Bergamo's proclaiming it "Little Italy?" <end good-natured sarcasm>

Sorry for the venting. I just get so "bent" when there's a great idea that gets completely screwed up.

While I too think it's difficult to see them as piano keys, I do appreciate their abstract representation. I personally really like the signs. I'd like to see this flair continued one more block to 21 East. More development will follow, and hopefully we'll truly be able to identify Brown Street as a nice night life strip.

This isn't a bad collection of bars for a two block stretch of what is essentially a glorified alley: 21 East, Corner Pocket, Brown Street Club, DT's, and Dixie's :sick: