Traffic Congestion, Road Construction, & Improvement Projects

gman430

What's the deal with the severely degraded condition of I-85 between Greenville and Spartanburg, and further north past Spartanburg?  The road is in such decrepit condition that much of any trip consists of swerving around potholes. 

I would have thought that it would have been repaved well before it became so rough.

What's the deal with the severely degraded condition of I-85 between Greenville and Spartanburg, and further north past Spartanburg? The road is in such decrepit condition that much of any trip consists of swerving around potholes.

I would have thought that it would have been repaved well before it became so rough.

Idk, but Spartanburg's interstates as a whole are terrible, and the business loop (while not an interstate) is atrocious. They are suppose to be redoing the interstate past Spartanburg into Cherokee County I believe? Solving the 85/385 interchange will be a big help with flow. The DOT is currently redoing 26 in Columbia. Not sure what the scope of that project is.

What's the deal with the severely degraded condition of I-85 between Greenville and Spartanburg, and further north past Spartanburg? The road is in such decrepit condition that much of any trip consists of swerving around potholes.

With the gas tax being as low as it is, the state can't afford to have it repaved.

• Like 1

I've heard about this and was wondering why the need for public input? Is this more than just replacing the asphalt/is there a greater design aspect to it? I just want them to keep the concrete crosswalks. Maybe it also intends to address concerns for business owners who are concerned about access during the project?

Edited by GvilleSC

Maybe it also intends to address concerns for business owners who are concerned about access during the project?

That's what I assumed. Instead of fielding 200 individual questions, just get everyone together in the same room.

Construction will start Aug. 18 on the first of six sections along I-85 from State 14 to near State 129, according to the prime contractor and the state Department of Transportation.

Catch basins will be lowered and the top layer of asphalt will be stripped off. The road will be "profiled" to improve drainage. Extensive full-depth repairs will be made to severely deteriorated areas. Road shoulders will be reworked where necessary and some guardrails will be replaced.

Completion slated for Oct. 31, 2016.

• 2 months later...

Greenville County has spoken. No additional funds for road improvements. Disappointing in my opinion, but I understand the concerns voiced by the majority of voters.

Can the city propose a sales tax for additional road funding in the next election, or is that something only the county can do? I would like my neighborhood area to have smooth roads, safe bridges, and sidewalks. And I don't see that coming from the State Legislature anytime soon. 

People should go up north before they start complaining about bad roads around here.  Yes, some roads around here could use some work, but overall they are in good condition compared to other areas of the country.  Seems they are ready to repave an entire road any time it gets a few potholes, rather than just making some repairs.  A lot of money is wasted on unnecessary projects around here, rather than where it needs to be spent.  They need to spend the money they already have better, before they start raising new taxes.

People should go up north before they start complaining about bad roads around here.  Yes, some roads around here could use some work, but overall they are in good condition compared to other areas of the country.  Seems they are ready to repave an entire road any time it gets a few potholes, rather than just making some repairs.  A lot of money is wasted on unnecessary projects around here, rather than where it needs to be spent.  They need to spend the money they already have better, before they start raising new taxes.

I don't drive out of state that much, but from what I have seen, I would put SC roads down at the bottom.  Some of our interstates are REALLY bad. I-95 comes right to mind. I see plenty of 'pothole patching' myself.    

Our gas tax has not been raised in close to 30 years, and it is not levied as a percentage, but as a flat amount.  Therefore, it has not keep up with inflation. Also, autos are more fuel efficient so there is a loss of revenue from that, as the 'wear' is the same but the revenue is smaller.

York, Florence and Sumter all have passed sales taxes like the one we defeated.  They have also each RENEWED them by huge majorities too. That was because the work that was promised was delivered.  If you are waiting on zero waste before you attack the problem, you will be waiting a long time. Even if you eliminated the 'waste', (some of which is in the eye of the beholder), it still wouldn't come close to covering the gap in funding, not by a long shot.  

You are not going to see anything other than a token effort to address our roads from Columbia, as they cannot do otherwise without a tax increase of some kind.   

The extra gas you spend sitting in traffic on Woodruff Road can eat up a lot of the 'savings' you had from not paying the new tax.  

• Like 3

Bridge in Cleveland park is closed for the next several months. 

Greenville News:

"Rotted wood pilings will keep the Cleveland Park bridge spanning over the Reedy River near Canine Corner closed indefinitely until engineers can determine how best to fix it.

The Woodland Way Bridge was closed last week after state inspectors discovered rotted wood supports and a sagging bridge deck, Greenville City Engineer Dwayne Cooper said.

The bridge likely won't be open for at least "a couple months," Cooper said.

The bridge, which is about a half-century old, had been inspected over the summer, but the record flooding that wrought havoc across the city in early August accelerated the deterioration, Cooper said.

Inspectors found the bridge deck is sagging about 6 inches without proper support, a significant amount in engineering terms, he said.

The bridge is one of three the city maintains that use wood resembling telephone poles as support, Cooper said. The city is inspecting the other two bridges, he said, on Reedy View Drive and Old Sulphur Springs Road.

The city is investigating how best to replace the support beams, whether it be with wood or steel, he said. The decision will be based in part on what condition the underwater portion of the wood supports bored into the riverbed are in.

Detours have diverted traffic around the cut-through connecting the McDaniel Avenue area with E. Washington Street. Pedestrians are still allowed to walk the bridge, Cooper said."

• 2 weeks later...

It appears the City of Greenville and local business leaders are stepping up and looking to find a way to get road, sidewalk, and bridge improvements. Bravo! This is why Greenville is often ahead of the rest of the state.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2014/11/16/greenville-looks-state-lawmakers-road-fix/19090463/