Traffic Congestion, Road Construction, & Improvement Projects

gman430

SC DOT commissioners approve $10M to pay cities and counties to take over roads; Greenville has interest

I hope this happens and that eventually the city gets a lot more of the roads under their control.  Crazy that the state won't let them finish the landscaping along Washington because they say it isn't safe to plant trees in between the street and sidewalk. 

3 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Great news. This sounds like an early bird gets the worm situation. I hope the city takes full advantage. Not sure why Hudson is first priority. Street that need road diets and such should be first priority.   

Hudson is supposed the be the main entrance to the new Westend  Park.  I'm sure they want flexibility to rework that road.  

4 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Great news. This sounds like an early bird gets the worm situation. I hope the city takes full advantage. Not sure why Hudson is first priority. Street that need road diets and such should be first priority.   

Hudson is adjacent to the new park

15 hours ago, gman430 said:

Looks like work is about to start on the Verdae Blvd improvement project going off all of the road work signs that were put up this past week.

It looks like they will try to make this an actual boulevard in comparison to say Wade Hampton Blvd. should look nice. I also noticed the new entrance to Verdae from Lauren’s Rd is almost complete. Has nice street lights etc up. 

• 2 weeks later...

The city has put out a survey to the public for input on the direction of improvements to the Wade Hampton Blvd corridor, including a Gateway Entrance to Timmons Park along the highway. Survey link is below for those who are interested.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9L3GW6S

The strategic plan details can be found on the city's website below.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/1530/Wade-Hampton-Boulevard-Strategic-Plan

Edited by Joey_Blackdogg

• 4 weeks later...

With the recent idea of Park and Ride to alleviate the parking issue of employees working DT, I thought of a few options.

The Baby Bi-Lo at Park and Main. 

The St. Peter's vacant land at Washington and Butler

Springfield Baptist Church parking lot

The Greek Orthodox Church lot. 

The Scott Towers site.  

Obviously some of these would be temporary until put to other use like Scott Tower and St. Peters.

• 1 month later...

Falls Park Drive along with Academy, Markley, Wardlaw, and Westfield Streets to all get major screetscaping (lighting, landscaping, pavers, etc)  done according to bid package sent out by the city. Guess they came to terms with the SCDOT.

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Falls Park Drive along with Academy, Markley, Wardlaw, and Westfield Streets to all get major screetscaping (lighting, landscaping, pavers, etc)  done according to bid package sent out by the city. Guess they came to terms with the SCDOT. 

Nice! It will be nice to have a more cohesive streetscape throughout this area. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

I thought we had a Wade Hampton thread but I guess not.

Wade Hampton may have new look

This all sounds good, but being a US highway, I wonder how realistic this is.  Also, putting a median in might not go over with some of the commercial owners. 

The original plans for the Poinsett Highway revitalization also called for a planted median, but after pushback from a few businesses, county leaders caved and removed it.  DOT doesn't care about making things look nice, they just want to move as many cars as fast as possible.  A median would actually make sense for improving safety, as it could eliminate a lot of left turns across 3 lanes of traffic,  restricting them to signalized intersections.  Improvements to Wade Hampton sound great, and are much needed, but it will require city leaders pushing to make something nice happen.

9 hours ago, sc smitty said:

The original plans for the Poinsett Highway revitalization also called for a planted median, but after pushback from a few businesses, county leaders caved and removed it.  DOT doesn't care about making things look nice, they just want to move as many cars as fast as possible.  A median would actually make sense for improving safety, as it could eliminate a lot of left turns across 3 lanes of traffic,  restricting them to signalized intersections.  Improvements to Wade Hampton sound great, and are much needed, but it will require city leaders pushing to make something nice happen.

Fortunately, City leaders have a bigger backbone. 

Would also like to see one of the lanes become a dedicated bus lane eventually.

• 3 months later...