Traffic Congestion, Road Construction, & Improvement Projects

gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Noticed today that the smart traffic system is finally being installed on Woodruff Road. Hopefully this helps with the traffic jams once it’s up and running. 

The traffic system that detects cars blocking the intersection as sweeps them aside automatically?

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Wade Hampton Boulevard is a seven-lane highway, separating neighborhoods to the north and south. While the boulevard provides a key connection between the city and its suburbs, the road creates a barrier between the neighborhoods and the current design does not adequately address the needs for our most vulnerable users of the road: pedestrians and cyclist. The sidewalks are in poor condition and too close to the road. There are no bike lanes and speeding is common. Hundreds of driveway crossings make walking a hazard.

The proposed improvements will encourage higher quality economic investment along the boulevard, better serving the surrounding neighborhoods.  

The City and AECOM will hold a public meeting to receive comments on the plan on Tuesday, June 20, from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at White Oak Baptist Church, 1805 Wade Hampton Boulevard.

At the meeting, City officials and staff will be joined by representatives from SCDOT and engineering firm AECOM to share information about the proposed project and answer questions. There will also be information stations where attendees can speak one-on-one with project engineers. 

The project is not anticipated to require any significant right-of-way acquisition and could be ready for ground-breaking in 2024.

I wish the County would jump on board and commit to extending any planned improvements out into their jurisdiction. But, that might require taxes... 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 12:46 AM, gman430 said:

What happened to the improvement project between Main Street and Heritage Green? It was supposed to start construction in June. 

Now August and still no movement on this. Gotta love it. Maybe by 2030??? No movement on the Church Street project either. I guess the government can’t even finance projects now. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Now August and still no movement on this. Gotta love it. Maybe by 2030??? No movement on the Church Street project either. I guess the government can’t even finance projects now. 

Well, they have removed the street lights from the bridge. Last timeline I saw, put Church St as later this year. So, it’s not unexpected and silent. 

• Thanks 1

The City of Greenville is requesting sealed bids from qualified contractors for the Cultural Corridor Streetscape Improvements project. The construction limits of this project are along College St./SC-183 and extend approximately 1,900 LF in length between Heritage Green Place and approximately 250 LF past N. Main St., as well as tie-ins at adjacent intersections (Academy St./US-123, N. Richardson St., Townes St./Richardson St./S-664, N. Laurens St.). The proposed scope of work includes:  traffic control; street resurfacing; asphalt and concrete removal; grading; curb and gutter; drainage; concrete multi-use paths; wayfinding along concrete multi-use paths; traffic signal upgrades; landscaping; concrete plaza construction with built-in seating; and lighting. The project includes a base bid and an alternate bid item. Bids are due August 31st.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The City of Greenville is requesting sealed bids from qualified contractors for the Academy Street & Elford Street Intersection Improvements Project. On N. Academy St., the construction limits of this project extend approximately 900 feet in length between the access ramp onto Academy St. from Central Ave. and College St. (SC-183). On Elford St., the construction limits will extend approximately 2,000 LF in length between N. Academy St. and N. Church St. The proposed scope of work includes: traffic control; street resurfacing; grading; curb and gutter; drainage; concrete sidewalk; concrete median construction; traffic signal removal; landscaping; pavement marking removal; new pavement markings; cycle track installation with cycle track protection; and signage installation. Bids are due 9/6/2023. 

• Thanks 3

The City of Greenville is requesting sealed bids from qualified contractors for the Academy Street & E. North Street Downtown Bypass Improvement Project. The construction limits of this project include a portion of E. North Street, N. Academy Street, and Williams Street. The project extends approximately 950' in length across E. North Street between Lavina Avenue and just short of Broadus Avenue. The project limits also extend approximately 5O' into the intersections of E. North St./N. Academy St. and E. North St/Williams St. The proposed scope of work includes: traffic control; landscaped median upgrades/construction; grading; curb and gutter; drainage; pedestrian ramp construction; fencing installation; traffic signal upgrades; signage installation; additional pavement markings; and landscaping. Bids due September 13th. 

The City of Greenville received $20 million of the $75 million requested in the below list:

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/CommitteeInfo/Ways&MeansBudgetDocuments/FY2023-24/ProjectBackupDetails/Bannister/City of Greenville.pdf 

Where should the $20 million go? Out of that list, what are the most important items?

Edited by gman430

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, GVLer said:

Will it take another two decades to finish I85 construction between Greenville and Gaffney? Has their been a slower highway project in America?

I drive this almost weekly and it does seem like there are some sections where nothing happens for weeks and weeks.  The entire stretch is a mess, but they seem to be only working on one small piece at a time.  That being said...

How long will it take?
Phase 2 (MM77-98) is expected to be completed by the end of 2024 and Phase 3 (MM98-106) was completed in December 2022.

For updates...  https://twitter.com/85widening

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GVLer said:

I must have angered the travel gods with my criticism. I just endured a 4.5 hour drive from Charlotte to GVL because of a LONG backup.

There was a truck accident/ oil spill between Greenville and Spartanburg on 85 South bound this morning I believe. I had a doctors appt. in Spartanburg and traffic was backed up to the 85/26 interchange when  I went through around 10am.

Edited by vistatiger

• 4 weeks later...

The city was recently granted $20 million dollars from the state for road upgrades and safety improvements. Monday, council approved spending $4 million of that on 4 projects:

• Cultural Corridor project has been awarded $4,308,901.
  • Queen Street Bridge Design (Phase 1) project has been awarded for a design contract totaling $130,000.
  • East North Street Gateway project has been awarded for a design contract totaling $328,000.
  • Augusta Street Undergrounding design will be completed through an existing undergrounding design contract totaling $166,725.
  • Like 2

This is how the $20 million will be distributed: 

• Cultural corridor/Academy bypass, $6 million
  • Wade Hampton corridor safety improvement, $2.5 million
  • Queen Street bridge design phase 1, $130,000
  • Pedestrian safety action plan, $2.5 million
  • East North Street gateway design, $370,000
  • Pendleton/Vardry intersection, $1.3 million
  • Augusta Street utility undergrounding, $5.8 million
  • Stone Avenue corridor safety improvements, $1.4 million
  • Like 2

I see that South Carolina was given an additional $1B for infrastructure projects in 2024 due to the federal infrastructure bill.

Does anyone have a good resource for how and where that gets allocated throughout the state?  This was promised funding as part of the 5 year plan behind the bill (and apparently I guess we know how much we are getting for each of the following 3 years too).  Has the state been allocating money towards projects before the funding has been released to the state or does SC wait until the money comes in each year to put it towards things?

Edited by NewlyUpstate