Traffic Congestion, Road Construction, & Improvement Projects

gman430

The landscaping for the Woodruff Road grass medians has now been installed. Rock gravel with several trees in each median.

In other news, the improvement project for Highway 276 in Mauldin has been delayed until Spring 2011 due to bids coming in over-budget.

Someone has already run through one of the medians knocking down all of the trees. Very unfortunate.

Construction will start in January on the Church Street project according to an article in the Greenville News. Lower bids coming in this time and the city willing to pay for any cost over-runs are the reasons why it is finally moving forward.

I can't wait to see how this transforms the corridor! I'm also anxious to see how much, if any, redevelopment this produces...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Staging has begun on Church St. According to the recent meeting, they are planning on starting the beginning of February.

Notes from the meeting

. Construction to start with the removal of the inside lane from Augusta up to University Ridge . Sidewalks will be 6’ wide and bike lanes will be 4’ wide

. Trees will be planted on both sides as well as in median

. Median will be planted with shrubs, flowers, and trees

. Additional street lights on both sides and in medians

. New taller telephone poles to replace all existing poles (Duke will NOT bury lines during this project;

however, they ‘may consider burying them at a later date’.)

. The new traffic light at Pearl (which will be synchronized with other lights on Church) will be one of the last

pieces of the construction.

. The entire project is set for completion in June 2012.

According to SCDOT, the budget would have needed to be doubled and this project would have been delayed so long it would have never happened because of funding if the power lines were to be put under.

I thought part of the 5+ million dollars going towards this project was for power line burial. :dontknow: Duke is starting to piss me off more than the SCDOT. :angry:

I agree with the street parking, that would/could be nice in the future... but I think that was scrapped a long time ago right? Without the street parking they are able to put a larger sidewalk... and a bike lane, which from what I hear COULD later be turned into street parking. The no left truns on side streets is to a.) improve traffic flow and b.) reduce safety issues. Some of those roads are not easy to turn on/out of.

Hopefully everything will come out in the wash and they can keep to their 18 month time frame.

And the because the federal government is involved they had to scrap any planned street parking and there will be no left turns allowed on to any of the side streets. Lots of flaws in this one.

Of course there i one at University Ridge and I guess they can have one at at Haynie beucase it is at base of hill. But they are removing left turns on the hill heading up to University and up to Augusta Rd. That is bad for future commercial development becuase business try to avoid right in right out parcels. People tend to dry right on by rather than do a U Turn. It's not just about the turns in to the streets but you will not be able to do left turns in to any future businesses or developments that might take place.

As it exists right now there is a concrete median everywhere but at the side streets, so you already can't make a left turn at businesses like Zaxby's. I think the goal of any new development is to have buildings closer to the street with rear parking accesses from the side streets rather than directly off Church St. The latest plan I saw still shows left turn lanes at most of the side streets except for Rose, Chapin, and Crescent. I'll take the planted medain over a left turn lane wherever possible.

Construction will start in January on the Church Street project according to an article in the Greenville News. Lower bids coming in this time and the city willing to pay for any cost over-runs are the reasons why it is finally moving forward.

Right on schedule: today - January 39th, the orange construction barrels have appeared on Church Street. (OK, February 8th. Just seeing if anyone is awake.) Looking forward to the new street re-design!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

-Construction has started on the Brown Street project downtown. The city wants this road to be like "Printers Alley" in Nashville once complete. You can see a site plan here of the improvements that will be made which includes making the sidewalk look like a piano: http://www.greenvill...ateway_Add1.pdf .

-Construction started last month on the Fairforest Way project. Once complete, it will be similiar in style to Innovation Drive that goes through the ICAR campus.

-Bids go out this month for the Church Street improvement project. Hopefully this time they come in at or below estimated construction costs by the DOT.

-Bids have gone out and been awarded to fill those grass medians on Woodruff Road between Verdae Blvd. and Laurens Road with real landscaping.

Brown Street construction is now underway as of April 11. Completion is expected by October.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PublicInfo_Events/NewsItem.aspx?id=446

• 2 months later...

There's an interesting article on Greenvilleonline today that discussed the debate over bike lanes and Greenville's push to offer a well-connected bike network.

One of the most interesting parts of the article, to me, was the brief mention that a 0.7 mile multi-use path will be completed on Beattie and College Streets downtown. :thumbsup: I knew we have discussed that the City wishes to begin work this year on altering Beattie/College Street, but wasn't sure of the end result or much details at all. Well, there's some SLIGHT insight.

There's an interesting article on Greenvilleonline today that discussed the debate over bike lanes and Greenville's push to offer a well-connected bike network.

One of the most interesting parts of the article, to me, was the brief mention that a 0.7 mile multi-use path will be completed on Beattie and College Streets downtown. :thumbsup: I knew we have discussed that the City wishes to begin work this year on altering Beattie/College Street, but wasn't sure of the end result or much details at all. Well, there's some SLIGHT insight.

This is most likely part of the plan to get better access to Heritage Green.

• 3 months later...

The Gville News is reporting that that city has preliminarily approved three power line burial projects:

1) Camperdown - between Main and River Street - $900k

2) Haywood Road between Woods Lake Rd and Toys R US - $1mm

3) Two sections of Augusta Rd. $200k

Is it just me, or does the Haywood Rd stretch seem to be really small?

Nonetheless, this is great to see progressing forward! We know it's going to be an expensive and slow process (in the long term sense), but very much worth it, IMO!

I think it's hilarious that these three stretches of road have very few trees...which was of course the whole reason this project got started.

Augusta Street makes the absolute most sense because of its ability to affect aesthetics and population. Camperdown makes sense because it's coinciding with development and investment and clearly makes it more cost-effective before street improvements are made. Haywood seems to be a step toward the City's masterplan implementation, however small that step might be...?

In good news, the City HAS been implementing the burial of lines from the poles to houses (which is what really reeked havoc during the last ice storm, because you can't justify restoring power to ONE house when other area's repairs can restore power to entire neighborhoods of homes...)