Traffic Congestion, Road Construction, & Improvement Projects

gman430

...would look so much better with underground power lines. ::sigh::

True, but with the nature of what businesses currently call Fairforest Way home, that seems like it could be difficult to justify-- mainly because there hasn't been much new investment outside of the high school and new apartments.

Augusta street has had a good many of its traffic signals on those silver/unfinished mast and arm configurations for a long time. I noticed today that a good many of those have been refinished black. They look really good, show up much more, and clean up those intersections. I assume we will continue to see this along the rest of the corridor in the near future. Quality details!

Augusta street has had a good many of its traffic signals on those silver/unfinished mast and arm configurations for a long time. I noticed today that a good many of those have been refinished black. They look really good, show up much more, and clean up those intersections. I assume we will continue to see this along the rest of the corridor in the near future. Quality details!

I have not noticed this, but was thinking it would look good. I hope they do the one at the intersection of Church/Augusta since the other two on Church going toward DT will be black.

I have not noticed this, but was thinking it would look good. I hope they do the one at the intersection of Church/Augusta since the other two on Church going toward DT will be black.

One was done at Augusta/Byrd, both at Augusta/Augusta Place I think, and at least one at Augusta/Grove, I believe. So, they're kind of scattered down the entire corridor.

• 2 weeks later...

They appear to only have one lane left to pave. Will the stretch between Ridge and Laurens Roads be upgraded to the same standards as the rest of the street? I thought the plan was for the entire stretch, but it seems odd that they have left it largely untouched so far and are nearing completion from Ridge to Mauldin Roads. I have seen that they're doing work on the right hand lane near Millennium Gas. Just seems like an odd way to go about these upgrades if they indeed plan to go from Mauldin to Laurens Rd...

They appear to only have one lane left to pave. Will the stretch between Ridge and Laurens Roads be upgraded to the same standards as the rest of the street? I thought the plan was for the entire stretch, but it seems odd that they have left it largely untouched so far and are nearing completion from Ridge to Mauldin Roads. I have seen that they're doing work on the right hand lane near Millennium Gas. Just seems like an odd way to go about these upgrades if they indeed plan to go from Mauldin to Laurens Rd...

The part between Ridge Road and Laurens Rd is not in the city limits EXCEPT for J.L. Mann.

The part between Ridge Road and Laurens Rd is not in the city limits EXCEPT for J.L. Mann.

Well, that sucks. So having a cohesive boulevard running from Mauldin Rd to Woodruff Rd is going to impeded by this small stretch?

This map of proposed City Council districts shows the actual roadway being inside the city limits. Is this correct? http://gis.greenvillesc.gov/ProposedDistricts/

Edited by GvilleSC

I deal a lot with utilities now with my type of work, and with what I know about directional boring it would not be to hard to bore the power lines under the sidewalk/behind the sidewalk and have stub outs up into transformers. Just do one section at a time.

I deal a lot with utilities now with my type of work, and with what I know about directional boring it would not be to hard to bore the power lines under the sidewalk/behind the sidewalk and have stub outs up into transformers. Just do one section at a time.

Any idea of cost per yard...per mile...etc?

• 1 month later...

Mauldin's Main Street improvements are making visible progress. A portion of the new lighting fixtures are up (mostly near the old Capri's), and trees have been planted. I'm concerned that this, while an improvement, will be rather underwelming when complete. Closer to Greenville, they've left lots of excess asphalt between the travel lanes and new curb. The median at the Greenville/Mauldin city divide has been landscaped as you enter Mauldin.

I typed an additional two paragraphs about my frustration with Mauldin's apparant small-town mindset, but I'm not going to rant on this today. It's Monday.

I was through Mauldin today and sadly, this project looks to be complete, and it is simply PATHETIC. There are no more orange cones or orange construction signs, so that leads me to believe they have done all they are going to do, which isn't much.

- They simply did some new plantings behind the existing sidewalks, meanwhile, leaving one to two foot high weeds growing through the cracks in the sidewalks in front of the new plantings.

- A total of maybe 9 decorative street lights were installed, and only on one side. Meanwhile, the old streetlights on wooden poles, remain, simply cluttering the roadway. The old lights on wooden poles are amber and the few new decorative lights are white. Pathetic.

- All the curb cut-ins remain.....many crumbling.

- There is no consistency in where or what was planted. Difference colors of mulch were used in different beds.

- Still gaps and sections with no sidewalks.

IMO, some news station should do an indepth report on this WASTE of tax dollars. Call Mauldin officials out on this sloppy project. This project literally is the epitome of the word "squander" as in squander tax dollars. Any Mauldin official associated with this project should be removed from office. This waste did nothing to entice any new business to locate on Laurens Road and it did nothing to draw customers to the area. Classic waste at its finest.

• 4 weeks later...

Power line burial along a portion Haywood Road is scheduled to start this week.

I'm looking forward to having the first stretch done. We all know that behind-the-scenes stuff has been in the works getting the fund built up, implementing the pole-to-house burials, and having the details for each project drawn up, but having the first commercial leg of work completed will be quite a victory for the City. Seeing the results and getting the ball moving on other burials will feel really good, IMO. I guess this indicates that work on the Toys R Us shopping center is pretty much guaranteed?

I agree that the powerlines are a hideous distraction from an otherwise successful beautification project. Nonetheless, I have not heard anyone claim this stretch of road is less appealing now than it was prior to construction. In fact, everyone I have heard discussing the change says it is much more attractive now.

Anyone know what's going on at the end of Hudson Rd at Brushy Creek Rd. Hudson Rd is now closed at that end and the road is being shifted to curve to the left at the Vet towards Brushy Creek, with a light added. Is something being built next to the Bi-Lo where the road used to go?

I believe a Bank is being built at the corner. Looks like they are going to divert traffic left(where the back entrance to ACE is and just past the eye doctor there) to a new light at Brushy Creek and remove that portion of hudson road for more space for the bank? Bi-Lo is also constructing a truck access point off of brushy creek to the rear of the store now just past the current intersection so that says to me that there will no longer be an intersection there and all traffic will veer left to a new light. Thats just my interpretation of what I'm seeing could be wrong though.