I bought a house

all2neat

In ascension parish.. I know I know, i'm only aiding in the urban sprawl, but seriously though.. how could I not? The builder of the house agreed to pay for all closing costs, plus uncle sam is ponying up my down payment plus my fridge!.. It'll cost me the same to live in house as it does my apartment.. It's a win win win for my wife and I.. we are excited. .Hopefully the builder can finish in time for the tax credit.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the new house! Always an exciting time!! Too bad you couldn't stay in EBR; but you have some good reasons; sounds like a great deal!

Ascension infrastructure is way behind...too many narrow rural roads with no shoulders deep ditches for such explosive growth! Of course the same could be said for SE BR!

Cool! I a way I kinda wish I had been born a few years earlier so I could take advantage of government help. Oh well, I guess I'd better get to saving for a down payment now, that or I could just keep living with my parents until they get tired of me and pay me to leave home. :lol:

But I could definitely understand why you'd want to move to Ascension because I was looking at houses on the internet and there's a nice difference in price between houses in Baton Rouge and those in Livingston and Ascension. The only thing is that if the area isn't built up yet you never know what you might be living next to in 10 years.

Couldn't even find one in Spring Lake or in Zachary..or in one of those trendy little new streets in Old Goodwood?

I'm just picking....congrats. We considered Ascension...there's great options there, and I recommend it if you work in Ascension or south Baton Rouge. Don't let anyone give you too much hell about moving out of town. You made a conscious choice that has strong merits. You are in a strong school district that will likely improve over the next decade, and the commercial activity will be coming to you, driving up your property values. I just hope you don't commute to downtown every day.

You are going to get the $8000 tax credit to furnish that new place now! Just take my advice: don't give your wife free reign over what to spend the money on....make decisions together.

Oh, I always did wonder why it was that I had an HD tv but never got those supposedly free HD channels. Thanks. :)

The cost for HD service, which is "free".

So, basically it breaks down like this, standard cable (2-69) is 47.99 these days. In order to get anything but the local channels in HD, you need to subscribe to the digital tier, which is $14.99 extra, plus you get to rent a box to decrypt the digital signals for an extra 5.75 per box.. So to get channels 2-69 in HD, you end up paying closer to $75-80 with tax... No premiums with it.. I can do cheaper with a dish or eatel.

You can also get the local channels with Direct and I think Dish Network took. Seriously, I'm never going back to cable.

Cable is too expensive, their customer service sucks something aweful, and I hope they go out of business.

Archived